Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 05:08 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,166,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewbank View Post
Canine, you picked an interesting country as an example. Most Germans speak English better than i do. The Netherlands is even more impressive in this regard. Would you REALLY learn German with the cases, and umlauts, and unbelievably long words for everyday objects? Maybe you would, but most Americans probably wouldn't (and don't, I happen to have experienced this abroad) because there's no imperative to, other than their children in German schools. Sound familiar? [insert upside-down "!" here] Bienvenidos a los Estados Unidos! Spanish-speakers do not HAVE to know the language to live, play, and work in crappy jobs in the U.S., but their kids all learn English. Many parents want to, but don't HAVE to, so other things take priority sometimes. In my experience the vast majority of immigrants do ultimately learn English, even without a pressing need. Can't say the same for ugly, ignorant American ex-pats I've met.
Crewbank:

I will make a deal with you: if we (the USA) has to 'amnesty' a few illegal immigrants from, say, Mexico.......

Not a problem: provided that SOB accepts an equal number of our violent Felons/sex offenders in exchange. Let the Mx penal system deal with 'em

Old 06-02-2008, 12:53 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,340,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I do not care what language someone speaks, as long as they understand that English is the primary language and not to expect people to bend over backwards for them.
I agree, and, to be honest, what this does is improve the competitiveness of immigrants who end up being bilingual. I wish I could speak Mandarin and Spanish. I'd be able to converse with, like, 2/3 of the world or something like that and be more competitive in this global marketplace.

I just don't understand the English-only nutjobs. Thankfully they're few and tend to be afraid to show pop their heads out.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I agree, and, to be honest, what this does is improve the competitiveness of immigrants who end up being bilingual. I wish I could speak Mandarin and Spanish. I'd be able to converse with, like, 2/3 of the world or something like that and be more competitive in this global marketplace.

I just don't understand the English-only nutjobs. Thankfully they're few and tend to be afraid to show pop their heads out.
Speaking fro just myself: if I elected to live in Mexico, etc.-------I would make damn sure to learn the local language-----and, learn it well.

Living here in the USA: I resent the idea of having to learn another tongue to communicate with a bunch of people who, all too often, are here illegally.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Speaking fro just myself: if I elected to live in Mexico, etc.-------I would make damn sure to learn the local language-----and, learn it well.

Living here in the USA: I resent the idea of having to learn another tongue to communicate with a bunch of people who, all too often, are here illegally.
I guess the issue is the "having to" part. I don't "mind" it, b/c it helps me as an individual competitively. I do resent the expectation or sense of entitlement to it. As I mentioned before either here or another thread, if you want to join a group badly enough, you will adapt to that group. That group will not adapt to you. And shouldn't have to. My parents came from Asia, wanted to be citizens of America badly enough, they adapted to the demands of this country to earn its protection, and while it was a significant sacrifice, it did not rob them of their identity or their culture, not in the least. And it did not force them to forget or not speak their native tongue. They just added to their repertoire.

As a native-born American, I presently cannot compete with that. Although, if I were smarter than I am, and if most Americans were smarter, we'd jump at the chance to be multilingual to improve our global marketing potential.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I guess the issue is the "having to" part. I don't "mind" it, b/c it helps me as an individual competitively. I do resent the expectation or sense of entitlement to it. As I mentioned before either here or another thread, if you want to join a group badly enough, you will adapt to that group. That group will not adapt to you. And shouldn't have to. My parents came from Asia, wanted to be citizens of America badly enough, they adapted to the demands of this country to earn its protection, and while it was a significant sacrifice, it did not rob them of their identity or their culture, not in the least. And it did not force them to forget or not speak their native tongue. They just added to their repertoire.

As a native-born American, I presently cannot compete with that. Although, if I were smarter than I am, and if most Americans were smarter, we'd jump at the chance to be multilingual to improve our global marketing potential.
And your parents are the variety of immigrant that we want and need here in the USA.

Cannot rep you though

Old 06-02-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And your parents are the variety of immigrant that we want and need here in the USA.

Cannot rep you though
That's ok, no worries.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 PM

521 posts, read 1,630,832 times
FOR THE MOST PART, the only times us Americans ever have to deal with people that do not speak english is when we are dealing with them for cheap services. Ala, a combo meal is only $6.
And it so pleases me to see that there are 45 pages of this bull**** dedicated to people who have nothing better to ***** about than Paco messing up your burger by not understanding you when you said, "hold the tomatoes," and thus waisting the 4minutes of your unproductive life in watching American Idol.
Beleive me fat America, you have bigger things to worry about when scarfing down a 700 + calorie combo meal that has so much fat it would make Rosie O'Donnel blush.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:26 AM

ohhhhhhhhkayyyyyy....

Old 06-03-2008, 05:49 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,812 times
They will learn it or I wont have anything to do with them

Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 AM

769 posts, read 2,234,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
FOR THE MOST PART, the only times us Americans ever have to deal with people that do not speak english is when we are dealing with them for cheap services. Ala, a combo meal is only $6.
And it so pleases me to see that there are 45 pages of this bull**** dedicated to people who have nothing better to ***** about than Paco messing up your burger by not understanding you when you said, "hold the tomatoes," and thus waisting the 4minutes of your unproductive life in watching American Idol.
Beleive me fat America, you have bigger things to worry about when scarfing down a 700 + calorie combo meal that has so much fat it would make Rosie O'Donnel blush.
--Working at a bank and dealing with people who didn't speak English and trying to do their transactions bothers many people.
--Having everything in more than one language also raises taxes: they were going to raise taxes on building the Minneapolis Light Rail to include separate systems for other languages like Spanish and Somalis but that was shut down.
--Working as a waiter and trying to communicate with the cooks about what not to put on a chicken alredo pasta can cause problems: I worked at Olive Garden and many times the cooks couldn't or wouldn't understand what the waiter was saying so the food got messed up, thus delaying the food and making the customers angry

Those are just a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration