Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 08:00 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,166,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Only if they had citizenship. Otherwise you'd call them either Vietnamese or Asian.
Good catch; and you being of Asian background would especially know

Old 06-08-2008, 01:02 PM

384 posts, read 1,710,667 times
I do agree that if you intend on living and working here that you should show the respect and learn the language spoken here. I don't believe that the government should make special provisions into catering non-english speaking individuals. If I were to move to Cuba, Mexico, France, Haiti, or any other non-english speaking country, I would need to learn the language in order to be able to survive.
I think this is another area in which our government lapse, we tend to go out of our way to make special arrangements to cater to those who has no respect for our country. They don't want to learn our language, don't don't want to respect our religion, yet we are forced to learn their language and respect their religions...so much that we have been slowly removing God out of our country just to please other. I thought this country's foundation was based on the country's motto "In God We Trust".

Old 06-08-2008, 01:56 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,340,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
I do agree that if you intend on living and working here that you should show the respect and learn the language spoken here. I don't believe that the government should make special provisions into catering non-english speaking individuals. If I were to move to Cuba, Mexico, France, Haiti, or any other non-english speaking country, I would need to learn the language in order to be able to survive.
I think this is another area in which our government lapse, we tend to go out of our way to make special arrangements to cater to those who has no respect for our country. They don't want to learn our language, don't don't want to respect our religion, yet we are forced to learn their language and respect their religions...so much that we have been slowly removing God out of our country just to please other. I thought this country's foundation was based on the country's motto "In God We Trust".
Not true.

Declaration of Independence = 1776
(This is widely regarded as the foundation for this nation -- my opinion)

E Pluribus Unum (Out of Many, One) on Great Seal of US = 1782

In God Is Our Trust appeared in final stanza of Star Spangled Banner = 1814

US Treasury website states: "The motto In God We Trust was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the American Civil War. Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase received many appeals from devout Christians throughout the country, urging that the United States recognize God on United States coins."

In God We Trust officially becomes motto = 1956

In God We Trust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-08-2008, 02:35 PM

Both of you (Jadel812 and Kabluey) are pretty much on the same overall page

Old 06-08-2008, 02:50 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,340,481 times
You're right, we agreed on everything, except the religious digression... Sorry to go off course.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:09 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,568,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
Without getting into a religious discussion, I agree with all your points, in general. It's simply an incontrovertible fact of life that, in our relentless striving to "clean up our act", we've inevitably gone too far in some respects, to the point that, in SOME ways, "the inmates are now running the asylum". I don't know if it's possible to get it 'just right', and to have a society neither too harsh, nor too tolerant. It depends, I suppose, on who's doing the evaluating.

But there can be NO argument that our 'niceness' has gotten WAY out of hand in many ways...when "suspects' rights" achieve such emphasis that their VICTIMS begin to be ignored....when illegal immigrants can hide behind "Special order 40", whether they are hardworking residents, or violent criminals....where ONE disgruntled employee can practically 'shut down' an entire place of business...or where (as in MY case) ONE unhappy parent can file a complaint that moves an entire 2700-student High School graduation ceremony from a modern, state-of-the-art air-conditioned auditorium, out to a sunny, shadeless, 100-degree amphiteater at mid-day, where the speakers could barely be heard.....why? Because the auditorium was owned by a CHURCH, and the outdoor amphitheater was NOT. Thanks, disgruntled parents! and THANKS, ACLU, for protecting the "rights of the few".....and I'm SO GLAD I didn't have to sit on CHURCH PROPERTY !!....ridiculous !!

(This is PRECISELY why I once was an ACLU contributor, many years ago, but now can't take them seriously...because 40 years ago, they had GOOD 'causes", while today, they're just SILLY. Call it the "tyranny of the minority" if you will....)

Old 06-09-2008, 05:15 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,757,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Without getting into a religious discussion, I agree with all your points, in general. It's simply an incontrovertible fact of life that, in our relentless striving to "clean up our act", we've inevitably gone too far in some respects, to the point that, in SOME ways, "the inmates are now running the asylum". I don't know if it's possible to get it 'just right', and to have a society neither too harsh, nor too tolerant. It depends, I suppose, on who's doing the evaluating.

But there can be NO argument that our 'niceness' has gotten WAY out of hand in many ways...when "suspects' rights" achieve such emphasis that their VICTIMS begin to be ignored....when illegal immigrants can hide behind "Special order 40", whether they are hardworking residents, or violent criminals....where ONE disgruntled employee can practically 'shut down' an entire place of business...or where (as in MY case) ONE unhappy parent can file a complaint that moves an entire 2700-student High School graduation ceremony from a modern, state-of-the-art air-conditioned auditorium, out to a sunny, shadeless, 100-degree amphiteater at mid-day, where the speakers could barely be heard.....why? Because the auditorium was owned by a CHURCH, and the outdoor amphitheater was NOT. Thanks, disgruntled parents! and THANKS, ACLU, for protecting the "rights of the few".....and I'm SO GLAD I didn't have to sit on CHURCH PROPERTY !!....ridiculous !!

(This is PRECISELY why I once was an ACLU contributor, many years ago, but now can't take them seriously...because 40 years ago, they had GOOD 'causes", while today, they're just SILLY. Call it the "tyranny of the minority" if you will....)
Was it against someones religion to be inside a Christian establishment somehow? While myself not being too into religion, and being against all the conflicts caused by religions, I still think we should respect and accomodate all of those in our country.
"tyranny of the minority"? Because the majority has it so bad?

Old 06-09-2008, 08:53 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,568,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Was it against someones religion to be inside a Christian establishment somehow? While myself not being too into religion, and being against all the conflicts caused by religions, I still think we should respect and accomodate all of those in our country.
"tyranny of the minority"? Because the majority has it so bad?
Not sure I understand your point this time. THe auditorium was owned by a church. It was close at hand, and could easily hold all the folks with room to spare. The ceremony was held during the week, and the only "church person" involved would have been the guy who unlocked the door. And no, they aren't like "us Catholics"...this auditorium had no crucifixes, no signs of religious affilitation at all....just four walls, a ceiling,l and a good sound system...and AIR CONDITIONING. No one was going to be 'exposed' to any religion....no one would have even had to 'sit through' a prayer....it was a BUILDING.

I don't know who filed the ACLU suit...the word was that it was ONE parent, though I heard elswhere it was two..out of 2700 students.

I don't understand your point, I guess. You're suggesting that these TWO sets of parents had the right not to meet on church property, but the other 2698 did NOT have the right to what THEY wanted?....that instead, they had to drive 4 miles out of their way, somehow get their infants and disabled elderly (some in wheelchairs) up a steep set of steps, and sit through the ceremony, in direct sunlight, in 100-degree heat, with a jury-rigged micrpohone? And this was somehow "fair"?....fair to WHOM, exactly? (Believe me, amc, this was a multi-racial, fairly affluent crowd of 'nice' people, but there WERE a fair amount of sarcastic remarks being traded around by the audience..Even the Principal let out a little 'blooper' he might have gotten in trouble for)..

Until I understand your point, amc, at this time I'll have to re-state my opinion that, yes, this was the "tyranny of the minority"....2 against 2698. And again, this is why I no longer contribute to the ACLU as I once did...because IMHO, their causes today are 90% stupidity. But I promise I'll listen for your explanation.

Last edited by macmeal; 06-09-2008 at 09:08 AM..

Old 06-10-2008, 10:38 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,948,645 times
Lot of you posters have gotten OFF the original OP. It is NOT religion guys, its about Immigrants inability to speak English. PLEASE keep on the topic. If I go to country ABC and do not speak their language, then it is tough S*** for me and my LOSS. Same goes for anyone who comes to the US and does not speak/understand English then it is their LOSS and not mine. I could care less. Does not effect me one ioda. When in JAPAN for one year yrs back, I tried to learn some of the language and did not expect them to cater to me. It is in my opinion that most Americans believe LEGAL IMMIGRANTS will attempt learning the ENGLISH language while those who are ILLEGAL could care LESS. Stefhen

Old 06-10-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Lot of you posters have gotten OFF the original OP. It is NOT religion guys, its about Immigrants inability to speak English. PLEASE keep on the topic. If I go to country ABC and do not speak their language, then it is tough S*** for me and my LOSS. Same goes for anyone who comes to the US and does not speak/understand English then it is their LOSS and not mine. I could care less. Does not effect me one ioda. When in JAPAN for one year yrs back, I tried to learn some of the language and did not expect them to cater to me. It is in my opinion that most Americans believe LEGAL IMMIGRANTS will attempt learning the ENGLISH language while those who are ILLEGAL could care LESS.[ Stefhen
And; I especially agree with the part of your post that I bolded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration