Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGC View Post
I agree that they should learn English if they plan to move here and live here for a long time, but most immigrants move to a community that talks mostly in spanish. Still,unless it becomes a requirement to learn english in order to become a citizn, some won't learn the language. It took me 6 months to learn english fully after i came here from Venezuela, and i can tell you that most immigrants that come here legally learn english.
aha, and here's the problem, they aren't becoming citizens.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:53 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
Our government is totally to blame for this. California prints EVERYTHING in spanish and english like we are in this co-op with Mexico and it is just sickening. Does Mexico print things in english and spanish? No, I am sure they never will because the country has a deep hatred for us (why, I will never understand after all we have done for them). We need to make English the official language across the country. Then, we need to require immigrants to learn english. If they dont learn the language within the first 4 years of being in the country, they should be deported, no ifs ands or buts. Americans are getting fed up with this stupid crap about "being racist" or "being politically correct." All we want is our laws enforced, and a country that unites around the American flag, the American government, patriotism, and the English language.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:03 PM

243 posts, read 86,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Our government is totally to blame for this. California prints EVERYTHING in spanish and english like we are in this co-op with Mexico and it is just sickening. Does Mexico print things in english and spanish? No, I am sure they never will because the country has a deep hatred for us (why, I will never understand after all we have done for them). We need to make English the official language across the country. Then, we need to require immigrants to learn english. If they dont learn the language within the first 4 years of being in the country, they should be deported, no ifs ands or buts. Americans are getting fed up with this stupid crap about "being racist" or "being politically correct." All we want is our laws enforced, and a country that unites around the American flag, the American government, patriotism, and the English language.
Maybe they hate the Americans because they took their land so long ago. Seems to me they are still holding a grudge, which is stupid. There is also a thin line between being patriotic and racist. Im not saying they are the same thing, but there is a very thin line. The reason Mexico doesnt print in both languages is because there is not a large population of english speaking people there. Im sure that in places that English speaking people go and vacation to, they have both langauges.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Maybe they hate the Americans because they took their land so long ago. Seems to me they are still holding a grudge, which is stupid. There is also a thin line between being patriotic and racist. Im not saying they are the same thing, but there is a very thin line. The reason Mexico doesnt print in both languages is because there is not a large population of english speaking people there. Im sure that in places that English speaking people go and vacation to, they have both langauges.
Remember that not only did the Hispanics steal the land from the Aztecs, etc-------most of the people living in our Southwest prior to 1848 stayed on despite given the option of trudging off to the remaining part of Mexico. The Navajo, Apache, etc. as well as the Californios come to mind.

Besides: Mexico also lost Guatemala between 1821-48 as well-------but, sure as hell do not want that land back.

Re: Guatemala.........I am surmising it is because that nation is poor as well as mostly Mayan Indian whereas California, etc. is extremely affluent by comparision.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:22 PM

243 posts, read 86,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember that not only did the Hispanics steal the land from the Aztecs, etc-------most of the people living in our Southwest prior to 1848 stayed on despite given the option of trudging off to the remaining part of Mexico. The Navajo, Apache, etc. as well as the Californios come to mind.

Besides: Mexico also lost Guatemala between 1821-48 as well-------but, sure as hell do not want that land back.

Re: Guatemala.........I am surmising it is because that nation is poor as well as mostly Mayan Indian whereas California, etc. is extremely affluent by comparision.
I know, that is why i said that their grudge is stupid. Anyways, it was the Spanish that stole the land. Hispanics came about by mixing the spanish and the aztec culture. So, technically, it was the spanish that stole their land.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:07 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
Quote:
I know, that is why i said that their grudge is stupid. Anyways, it was the Spanish that stole the land. Hispanics came about by mixing the spanish and the aztec culture. So, technically, it was the spanish that stole their land.
Well there is also the Amerindian and the Mestizo who make up 90% of the Mexican population and often feel that their land has been stolen from them not once but three times. Once by the Spaniards, once by the "white" or European dominated Mexican government and once more by the US. Now that would certainly P.O. a lot of people don't you think?

Old 07-03-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Well there is also the Amerindian and the Mestizo who make up 90% of the Mexican population and often feel that their land has been stolen from them not once but three times. Once by the Spaniards, once by the "white" or European dominated Mexican government and once more by the US. Now that would certainly P.O. a lot of people don't you think?
True enough........and, the Aztecs, etc. have plenty of company in being abused by multiple conquerers------Irish, Hungarians, Chinese, Jews in particular, etc. Yet; the listed latter groups tend to be dominant societies today-----because they bucked up and took responsibility for themselves.

Too; the Aztecs were just as 'rude' to other indigenous peoples prior to 1492 with their religious ceremonies-------cutting out beating hearts would definitely qualify as an atrocity today.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:03 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
-------cutting out beating hearts would definitely qualify as an atrocity today.
OR....as 'malpractice' or 'physician error', and thus, PROBABLY not covered under most HMO's.....

Old 07-04-2008, 09:40 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,708 times
Quote:
True enough........and, the Aztecs, etc. have plenty of company in being abused by multiple conquerers------Irish, Hungarians, Chinese, Jews in particular, etc. Yet; the listed latter groups tend to be dominant societies today-----because they bucked up and took responsibility for themselves.

Too; the Aztecs were just as 'rude' to other indigenous peoples prior to 1492 with their religious ceremonies-------cutting out beating hearts would definitely qualify as an atrocity today.
To be frank, I think the success of many societies, including Asian ones, may have more to do with a balance between ruthless aggression/imperialistic desires and diplomatic savvy than "taking responsibility for themselves."

The most successful of societies tend to be the most successful at violence. As the saying goes, he who wins the war writes the history.

I'm stating a broad generalization, of course...

Old 07-04-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
To be frank, I think the success of many societies, including Asian ones, may have more to do with a balance between ruthless aggression/imperialistic desires and diplomatic savvy than "taking responsibility for themselves."

The most successful of societies tend to be the most successful at violence. As the saying goes, he who wins the war writes the history.

I'm stating a broad generalization, of course...
That may be the case......

And; the one thing that seems to force a massive drop in violence in said cultures is when the birthrate is @ 2.1 children per woman or under-------simply put, there is not enough 'cannon fodder' to waste short of a life or death struggle to maintain one's society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration