Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:41 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
The stats dont lie, 84% of Asians learn english in their first 10 years here where as just over 15% of hispanics learn english in their first 10 years here. There is a definate difference in cultures.
Asians come a far distance and aren't in the same hemisphere with Latin America either.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:42 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilulissat View Post
yes, it is different. But the sign says speak english when ordering. Well, of course you are going to speak english when ordering. Otherwise the person at the register couldn't take your order. I am suggesting that what seems to be inferred is that you can't even speak your own language in a restaurant, which is ridiculous.
I have been trying to tell you all along that I see it all the time when people dont speak english and try to order in spanish. The cashier has to go and get someone in the cooks room who can speak spanish to translate the order, thus holding up the line. I see it all the time.

I think the sign simply means "speak english when talking to us" it doesnt mean "i am a racist bigot who doesnt serve mexicans in any way." You are reading too much into it.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Asians come a far distance and aren't in the same hemisphere with latin america either.
What does that have to do with anything?

Old 04-10-2008, 05:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
I have been trying to tell you all along that I see it all the time when people dont speak english and try to order in spanish. The cashier has to go and get someone in the cooks room who can speak spanish to translate the order, thus holding up the line. I see it all the time.

I think the sign simply means "speak english when talking to us" it doesnt mean "i am a racist bigot who doesnt serve mexicans in any way." You are reading too much into it.
That's funny. Here at least 80% of the fast food wait staff is bi-lingual. Used to be that way when I lived in OC too. I wonder why it changed?

Old 04-10-2008, 05:44 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,872 times
Quote:
How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It bothers me a LOT. If you're visiting--fine no English. If you move here--learn English.

I'm worried the very culture of our country is going to change to a Hispanic one if something isn't done soon.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:45 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with anything?
Latin America is close, hence more Spanish speaking people to speak Spanish to?

Ever been to Australia? You will find a lot of Asians that don't speak English.

Why is everyone so quick to attack Hispanic culture?

Old 04-10-2008, 05:46 PM

31 posts, read 66,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/KJLJPICS/english.jpg (broken link)
absolutely wreaks of
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/KJLJPICS/irish.jpg (broken link)
and
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/KJLJPICS/black.jpg (broken link)
guess we haven't progressed as much as we thought we have
The point is, the sign is inflammatory, and meant to be racist, even though it doesn't outright say no indians, or no mexicans. The sign is assuming that there are people coming and ordering in some other language. I ask again, when does that really happen? I haven't even seen some Korean lady go to Mcdonalds and order in Korean and then get mad that the person at the register doesn't speak korean. The sign is put there just to be racist.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
That's funny. Here at least 80% of the fast food wait staff is bi-lingual. Used to be that way when I lived in OC too. I wonder why it changed?
Because young non-hispanics need jobs too

Old 04-10-2008, 05:48 PM

31 posts, read 66,863 times
Quote:

I have never seen that happen. And yes, I do think that the sign is meant to be mean. I am reading into it. I guess I would have to talk to the owner and find out.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilulissat View Post
The point is, the sign is inflammatory, and meant to be racist, even though it doesn't outright say no indians, or no mexicans. The sign is assuming that there are people coming and ordering in some other language. I ask again, when does that really happen? I haven't even seen some Korean lady go to Mcdonalds and order in Korean and then get mad that the person at the register doesn't speak korean. The sign is put there just to be racist.
I see it all the time. It does happen, maybe not where you are, but in OC it is a daily occurence. And if this is true, why is it that only hispanics feel like they are being singled out? Maybe because they are the only race that refuses to learn the English language in mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration