Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should ESL classes be taught at public schools or at the parents expense?
It should be taught at public schools 41 42.71%
ESL classes should be paid for by the parents who didnt teach their child english outside of school 52 54.17%
No opinion/other 3 3.13%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 02:35 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,703,232 times

Advertisements

Should ESL classes be taught in public schools or should parents be required to pay for their children to learn english?

Personally, I dont think we should have to pay for what some parent didnt do. The parent should have to fork over extra money to put their children through special ESL training to improve their english skills. I am tired of Americas kids having to go to school and loosing out because some parent chose not to teach their child english. They shouldnt recieve special treatment for not knowing english and their ESL needs should not be met by the public schools. I understand if a student knows some English, but when parents make NO attempt to teach their children english, thus failing the other kids in school, it really bothers me.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
I think anywhere, anytime someone plans to emigrate to another country, it is their responsibility to properly prepare themselves and their families for the move. Never should the people of that other country be expected to pay for the immigrant who fails to do that.

I would say the exact same thing about an American planning a move to Mexico or somewhere else. Learn the langauge of that country and don't expect it's taxpayers to support you.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:11 AM

471 posts, read 1,475,865 times
Parents expensive.

It's no different than other language schools. By me, there is a German speaking school and a Hebrew school - They cost money.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:27 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Should ESL classes be taught in public schools or should parents be required to pay for their children to learn english?

Personally, I dont think we should have to pay for what some parent didnt do. The parent should have to fork over extra money to put their children through special ESL training to improve their english skills. I am tired of Americas kids having to go to school and loosing out because some parent chose not to teach their child english. They shouldnt recieve special treatment for not knowing english and their ESL needs should not be met by the public schools. I understand if a student knows some English, but when parents make NO attempt to teach their children english, thus failing the other kids in school, it really bothers me.

What do you think?
What happened to no child left behind? Since we are seeing a large influx of
Spanish speaking students, yes I think we should continue with the ESL classes.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Classes should be offered - but, not for no cost. IMO, the parents should pay a tuition for these classes. It is not fair to require the American Taxpayers to pay more for someone being in the country illegally.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:45 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,703,232 times
I totally agree with most of you. It is not my problem they didnt learn english....I taught my children english and they should do the same. I dont think American kids should suffer because a teacher has to spend extra time with a non-english speaking student....its really not fair to the other kids. And it all comes back to bad parenting in the end.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:18 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,998 times
When I was younger, I was in an ESL program for English. I was clustered with kids who did not speak English well. Nevermind the fact that I was born here and spoke English with absolutely no accent. The majority of the kids were Asian, and a couple Hispanic. As far as I observed, people advanced their English skills.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:36 PM

98 posts, read 334,614 times
NO, I used to drive school bus and ESL students get special transportation.That money comes out tax payers pockets. We drive to their home pick them up take them to school and back home, door to door service. The schools also need to hire special teachers that would not otherwise be needed. In my district any child living less than 2 miles away from school, yet far enough away that they need bussing has to pay $200 upfront a year to ride the bus. If you can not pay you have to provide transportation.Yet ESL get free government paid transportation.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lereca View Post
NO, I used to drive school bus and ESL students get special transportation.That money comes out tax payers pockets. We drive to their home pick them up take them to school and back home, door to door service. The schools also need to hire special teachers that would not otherwise be needed. In my district any child living less than 2 miles away from school, yet far enough away that they need bussing has to pay $200 upfront a year to ride the bus. If you can not pay you have to provide transportation.Yet ESL get free government paid transportation.
Really? At the local high school in my Area, the only ones that receive special transportation are those of the Severely Handicapped Class. Like I said before, I was in ESL when I was younger and received no such transportation.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 PM

98 posts, read 334,614 times
The reason they give is, because not all schools have ESL classes. So you have to transport them sometimes out of their neighborhood school area. The parents shoul have to transport them if they want them to learn english. I have picked up kids at some pretty nice homes, they could afford to do their own transporting or at least pay for it. ESL is a govrnment funded (disability)program, they can not properly communicate. At least here in MN it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration