Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should ESL classes be taught at public schools or at the parents expense?
It should be taught at public schools 41 42.71%
ESL classes should be paid for by the parents who didnt teach their child english outside of school 52 54.17%
No opinion/other 3 3.13%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:55 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,761,150 times

Advertisements

Hmmm...my grandparents emigrated. They taught themselves English and subsequently taught their American born children English. English was the only language spoken in their home. No one required ESL in order to assimilate. As a matter of fact, the acquisition of the English language seems to have been the dynamic of ALL legal immigrants in the 18th, 19th, and the early part of the 20th centuries. There were no taxpayer funded English classes. A basic knowledge of the English language was a requirement for emigration.

Which leads me to ponder this question.

Why do "immigrants" of today require ESL at taxpayer expense? What is it about "immigrants" of today and their inability and/or refusal to learn the English language even after several generations in this country?

Could it be the fact that:

A) They really aren't interested in becoming Americans as were the generations of legal immigrants before them?

and/or

B) We have a government who continues to facilitate an entire population of serfs who are more easily managed if we simply make all public services bilingual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,318,608 times
Where is the simple "No" choice? Another flawed poll.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:17 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,191,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Hmmm...my grandparents emigrated. They taught themselves English and subsequently taught their American born children English. English was the only language spoken in their home. No one required ESL in order to assimilate. As a matter of fact, the acquisition of the English language seems to have been the dynamic of ALL legal immigrants in the 18th, 19th, and the early part of the 20th centuries. There were no taxpayer funded English classes. A basic knowledge of the English language was a requirement for emigration.

Which leads me to ponder this question.

Why do "immigrants" of today require ESL at taxpayer expense? What is it about "immigrants" of today and their inability and/or refusal to learn the English language even after several generations in this country?

Could it be the fact that:

A) They really aren't interested in becoming Americans as were the generations of legal immigrants before them?

and/or

B) We have a government who continues to facilitate an entire population of serfs who are more easily managed if we simply make all public services bilingual?
C) Perhaps this is our payback for not annexing all of Mexico in 1848? God knows that part of the world would be much better off today.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:36 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,760,437 times
Many schools have classes that teach Spanish, French, sign language.

Why not work to improve a language someone needs in this country: English?

Everybody benefits from these kids learning or improving their English skills.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Many schools have classes that teach Spanish, French, sign language.

Why not work to improve a language someone needs in this country: English?

Everybody benefits from these kids learning or improving their English skills.
It's true that foreign languages (ASL is not a foreign language but is taught in many colleges) are available in school and are a requirement for most undergraduate degrees.

However, these classes are not being offered on the taxpayer's dime. I think that the issue with ESL is when it is taxpayer funded. I have no problem with people paying for either their own or their children's English lessons.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:45 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,760,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
It's true that foreign languages (ASL is not a foreign language but is taught in many colleges) are available in school and are a requirement for most undergraduate degrees.

However, these classes are not being offered on the taxpayer's dime. I think that the issue with ESL is when it is taxpayer funded. I have no problem with people paying for either their own or their children's English lessons.
I meant at the high school/junior high level.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I meant at the high school/junior high level.
I included that level within my response.

A person living in this country who cannot speak English needs to learn before they hit the classroom. I think that's the common thread in this particular subject. Taxpayers don't think that they should have to pay the salary of someone who is strictly an ESL teacher.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:01 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,592,033 times
Taxpayers should not be responsible for paying for ESL classes for illegal alien children. Let their countries of origin, or their parents foot the bill. It's enough that we're being forced to pay for their K-12 education and 'free' breakfast/lunch programs.

If they can afford to send billions in remittances out of this country, and purchase cars and homes, they can afford to pay for ESL classes.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:23 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,703,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Classes should be offered - but, not for no cost. IMO, the parents should pay a tuition for these classes. It is not fair to require the American Taxpayers to pay more for someone being in the country illegally.
Who said anything about being in this country illegally? I came to the USA when I was 14 years old. I was a legal immigrant from the time I set foot in the airport. I didn't speak a word of English. I learned how to speak and write it in ESL classes, in high school. I see no difference between those English classes and French or Spanish classes for American kids. Both curriculums are teaching a skill that will benefit both the individual and our nation. The USA is one of the few countries in the civilized world where most citizens don't speak a second language. In Europe most people speak two or more languages.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:26 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,703,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
i voted no when in fact i believe that LEGAL immigrants should have access to those classes at tax payer expense. it's to our advantage to help LEGAL immigrants assimilate.

on the other hand ILLEGAL ALIENS SHOULD NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THESE OR ANY OTHER ENTITLEMENT......DAMN IT!

I totally agree. Illegal immigrants have no right nor place in our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration