Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:43 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,585,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The number of Hispanics in the United States grew to 45.5 million last year, and the country's largest minority group now makes up more than 15 percent of the U.S. population, the U.S. Census Bureau reported on Thursday.
Dice usted Espanol? (Do you speak Spanish?)

U.S. Hispanic population hits 45.5 million: agency - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 06:46 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,166 times
I hope the anti-immigrant politicians keep pissing them off.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:47 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Remember; 'Hispanic' is an arbitrary term.

Alfred Molina; the actor who lives in SoCal, is not a Hispanic------he was born/raised in the UK.

Mitt Romney's father George was born/raised in Mexico.......strictly speaking, he could possibly claim Mexican citizenship by default.

Our Mach50 passes for 'Hispanic' due to his Mexican mother.......despite his Irish surname (he told us that his father was an Anglo).

Soledad O'Brien is another: her father was a White Australian but her mother was an Afro-Cuban.

I can go on and on; the bottom line is there is no Hispanic race.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Alfred Molina; the actor who lives in SoCal, is not a Hispanic------he was born/raised in the UK.

Mitt Romney's father George was born/raised in Mexico.......strictly speaking, he could possibly claim Mexican citizenship by default.

Our Mach50 passes for 'Hispanic' due to his Mexican mother.......despite his Irish surname (he told us that his father was an Anglo).

Soledad O'Brien is another: her father was a White Australian but her mother was an Afro-Cuban.

Then, why do they keep calling themselves "la raza", marching in our streets? It seems to me they think of themselves as a particular race, at least the illegals.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I hope the anti-immigrant politicians keep pissing them off.
At 15% of the population, that might not be such a good idea!

Old 05-01-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

With all due respect, we've seen your arguments against the term "Hispanic" in previous posts, please don't go down that road again. Thank you.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Then, why do they keep calling themselves "la raza", marching in our streets? It seems to me they think of themselves as a particular race, at least the illegals.
It makes no sense to me either.

True Hispanic culture (in both Spain and Latin America) is very White supremacist------the Mestizos/Indians are considered to be inferior.

It is as if the White supremacy within the above culture causes the brown Latinos here in the USA to turn their noses up against our American Indians------yet, genetically, speaking, most of the members of the above two groups are quite similar.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
With all due respect, we've seen your arguments against the term "Hispanic" in previous posts, please don't go down that road again. Thank you.
Steve; I have just as much right to post my opinions here as you-------provided they are respectfully worded

Old 05-01-2008, 08:32 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
At 15% of the population, that might not be such a good idea!
P*ssing off the other 85% is an even worse idea.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:38 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
P*ssing off the other 85% is an even worse idea.
Right on, andreabeth!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration