Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 12:15 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,888,687 times

Advertisements

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/los...ity-ordinance/

I guarantee that, despite how the media depicts it, the general public doesn't see that as a good thing (aside from extreme liberals and people who have illegal immigrants as kin), given the problems with crime and overcrowding that LA has. Look at the anger at the homelessness problem and the backlash against the hands-off district attorney. But people around here also are very concerned with reputation and seeming to be 'good' folks. Organizing is frowned upon here in City-Data, but if you don't want this city to be a sanctuary city, complain about it here and wherever else you feel safe doing so and let your representatives know your position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 07:54 PM

One of the local news broadcasts since did a segment that included some public objection to the motion. Maybe the media will be fair this time just because controversy is better for ratings. However, I doubt that will sway local politicians.

Old 06-19-2023, 09:21 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
LA City is mostly Latino. What do you expect? They are not going to boot their own kin. The county needs to step in. If that is not enough then the State, and even after that the Federal Govt.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
LA City is mostly Latino. What do you expect? They are not going to boot their own kin. The county needs to step in. If that is not enough then the State, and even after that the Federal Govt.
Your point sounds right on the surface, but it doesn't hold up to scrutiny. People of Latin-American ancestry aren't a monolith, even the Mexican-Americans aren't. Many Mexican-American families in Los Angeles came here legally 50 or more years ago and probably are about as disdainful of illegal immigrants as white and black residents are. Like I said, most people in Los Angeles don't want it to be a sanctuary city, and it's inappropriate for city leaders to do that against our wishes. Maybe the county could step in, but does it even have power over the city? Newsom would not do anything, because his default mode is to pander. Could Los Angeles residents sue the city? At the very least, that type of measure should not go into effect without ballot approval.

Old 06-20-2023, 05:59 AM

62,996 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Your point sounds right on the surface, but it doesn't hold up to scrutiny. People of Latin-American ancestry aren't a monolith, even the Mexican-Americans aren't. Many Mexican-American families in Los Angeles came here legally 50 or more years ago and probably are about as disdainful of illegal immigrants as white and black residents are. Like I said, most people in Los Angeles don't want it to be a sanctuary city, and it's inappropriate for city leaders to do that against our wishes. Maybe the county could step in, but does it even have power over the city? Newsom would not do anything, because his default mode is to pander. Could Los Angeles residents sue the city? At the very least, that type of measure should not go into effect without ballot approval.
May I refer you to this topic?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ille...nts-bused.html

Also, most Latinos vote Democrat. Why do you suppose that is? They want amnesty for their ethnic group here illegally.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
May I refer you to this topic?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ille...nts-bused.html

Also, most Latinos vote Democrat. Why do you suppose that is? They want amnesty for their ethnic group here illegally.

You just made that up. The voting preference precedes serious political support for amnesty.

I made this thread about a Los Angeles situation that needs attention and action, not for you to rant against illegal immigrants.

Old 06-20-2023, 09:30 AM

62,996 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
You just made that up. The voting preference precedes serious political support for amnesty.

I made this thread about a Los Angeles situation that needs attention and action, not for you to rant against illegal immigrants.
This is the illegal immigration forum so I'll rant about these law breakers all I want!

I made nothing up. Here's a link to how most Hispanics feel about illegal immigration. They also mostly vote for the Democrats because they are the ones promising amnesty for their ethnic group here illegally.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...panics-in-u-s/

Old 06-20-2023, 11:23 AM

No, again, you're making that up. The article you posted doesn't indicate why they vote Democrat and in fact contradicts the idea that all Latinos support each other.
"At the same time, most Hispanics (56%) say the U.S. does not have a responsibility to take in asylum seekers from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. About 39% say the U.S. does have this responsibility."

Which gives me hope that in Los Angeles many Latinos don't want this to be a sanctuary city, although most of them might oppose some types of raids.

Just like I don't want here (my city) to be a sanctuary city, I don't want here (my thread) a sanctuary for your misguided, somewhat self-defeating rants. Stop now.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
There does not need to be a monolith. It does not need to 99%, or 90%, or even 50/50. As long as it is a plurality, the damage will be done. And that plurality would not exist if not for the rest of them was there to hide behind, and supply bodies too.

If only we had always enforced our immigration laws tightly, "minority" wont even be a word barely. We all be assimilated, and no social stratification. There will be no underclass, no need to actively keep track of demographics.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
No, again, you're making that up. The article you posted doesn't indicate why they vote Democrat and in fact contradicts the idea that all Latinos support each other.
"At the same time, most Hispanics (56%) say the U.S. does not have a responsibility to take in asylum seekers from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. About 39% say the U.S. does have this responsibility."

Which gives me hope that in Los Angeles many Latinos don't want this to be a sanctuary city, although most of them might oppose some types of raids.

Just like I don't want here (my city) to be a sanctuary city, I don't want here (my thread) a sanctuary for your misguided, somewhat self-defeating rants. Stop now.
Why does it need to indicate it? Just put two and two together. They know what the Democrats are all about. If they truly oppose Dem policies, why vote Dem? If they vote for Democrats, they are supporting Democrats. Or even worse is to despise some policies but are completely dependent on other policies. That is being a parasite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
View detailed profiles of: