Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 11:34 AM

273 posts, read 249,210 times

Advertisements

I live in an old neighborhood of a large midwest city and over a very short period (5 years) saw it change dramatically. Demographic wise, the hispanic population exploded. Unfortunately, there was a large increase in crime....hit and runs, grafitti, drugs, drunk driving, etc. Most visible was the change in our once peaceful local parks where we took our kids. The park had become saturated with hispanics who dominated the park on the weekends and evenings playing loud music, serving food from unlisenced vendor trucks and making the park their own private fiesta. The first time (and last) I was there, I thought it was a public affair, but I was not made to feel welcome at all. Each Monday morning as I drove past the park to work, I was saddened to see how it was covered completely with trash from the weekends private celebration.
I always wondered if these were really new US immigrants to our community or illegal aliens?

Then, one weekend I noticed the park was empty...completely! As I walked past the entrance, I noticed a posted sign in big letters. It read:

"CUIDADO AMIGOS! LA MIGRA ESTA AQUI' A VECES."

It translates to say; "Be careful friends! Immigration is here at times."

My first thought was someone trying to warn the illegals, but even if it wasn't, the end result was astounding! Not only was the park back to normal overnight, but the neighborhoods and streets also became visibly quieter.

If this was someone warning their friends, all I can say is "Thank you".
Who would of thought a simple message printed off anyones' printer and taped to a sign or structure could have such a positive effect on changing our neighborhood.

Last edited by pablo-me; 08-18-2007 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 11:40 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,236 times
That's great! Maybe we should post some of those signs on the border????

Old 08-18-2007, 11:56 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,591 times
I haven't seen neighborhoods clear out like that, but I've witnessed everything else the OP mentioned. It's almost like you need a passport at times to visit your own neighborhood park. Even walking through them at times can result in being treated in a very hostile manner.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:55 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
ha ha, a guy I used to work with in San Diego (he is Mexican/German and 100% legal citizen) used to go down to the walmart closest to the border and yell migra.. the guy was pretty twisted, but really funny

Old 08-18-2007, 11:50 PM

174 posts, read 666,432 times
How come teachers are mandated to report abuse but not illegal immigrants?

Old 08-19-2007, 01:59 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetoutofflorida View Post
How come teachers are mandated to report abuse but not illegal immigrants?
The schools want the money. Schools are paid by the government per student. The more student, the more money the school and school district get.

But I agree with you, report them. Get them south of the border.

Old 06-17-2023, 12:50 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
I live in an old neighborhood of a large midwest city and over a very short period (5 years) saw it change dramatically. Demographic wise, the hispanic population exploded. Unfortunately, there was a large increase in crime....hit and runs, grafitti, drugs, drunk driving, etc. Most visible was the change in our once peaceful local parks where we took our kids. The park had become saturated with hispanics who dominated the park on the weekends and evenings playing loud music, serving food from unlisenced vendor trucks and making the park their own private fiesta. The first time (and last) I was there, I thought it was a public affair, but I was not made to feel welcome at all. Each Monday morning as I drove past the park to work, I was saddened to see how it was covered completely with trash from the weekends private celebration.
I always wondered if these were really new US immigrants to our community or illegal aliens?

Then, one weekend I noticed the park was empty...completely! As I walked past the entrance, I noticed a posted sign in big letters. It read:

"CUIDADO AMIGOS! LA MIGRA ESTA AQUI' A VECES."

It translates to say; "Be careful friends! Immigration is here at times."

My first thought was someone trying to warn the illegals, but even if it wasn't, the end result was astounding! Not only was the park back to normal overnight, but the neighborhoods and streets also became visibly quieter.

If this was someone warning their friends, all I can say is "Thank you".
Who would of thought a simple message printed off anyones' printer and taped to a sign or structure could have such a positive effect on changing our neighborhood.
Sounds too good to be true

What you describes reminds me of the Flushing Meadows Corona Park in NYC borough of Queens. It is filled with hispanics barbecuing, playing soccer, and just hanging out. Lots of drugs probably too.

It is one of the biggest parks in NYC, and really is a sight to behold. The place is like being in another country. There is no English, or any other language. There are no other groups there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration