Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:29 PM

299 posts, read 546,004 times

Advertisements

Well, the picture is mixed, actually. Winners and Losers. Not that if this was the exact prediction of reality anyone here would stop supporting deportation. I still thought it was an interesting read:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...mmigrants.aspx (broken link)

Since all these tasks were done before illegal immigration before, they would undoubtably get done again. Millions of American teens would be able to find work. End public benefits and a workforce of millions more would suddenly appear. Civilizations have never fallen because of unmowed lawns or dirty dishes. They have fallen because they could not support the massive weight of supporting millions and millions of people who cannot care for themselves. Naturally there would have to be a sizeable investment to do what other industrialized nations have done, mechanize the farms, orchards and ranches. The rest of the world did it long ago. The only reason we still use stoop labor is to give the illiterate and unqualified something to do and still provide the safety valve that mexico needs to survive.

What would happen if all the illegals left? The flight away from crime ridden urban centers would stop. Along with that, the encroachment on wildlands to provide havens for those cities refugees. People would not have to choose to live in safety far from their work. The freeways would not be so crowded, with a concurrent reduction in gasoline use. Natural habitats would be preserved. The parks would be restored to natural beauty. The schools would not have special services for illegals and save billions. The prisons would suddenly not be overcrowded. The police would be relieved of much of the gang enforcement. Less drunk driving, less spousal abuse, less kidnapped children. The police would be free to concentrate on other criminal matters. Diseases that were once eradicated would again be gone. Incidence of food borne illnesses would revert back to their previous levels. Safer streets for everyone.

Los Angeles would be little more than a ghost town for quite a while until people could be persuaded to return. But when they did, many of the worst slums would be gone.

All in all, it sounds quite like a much better place.

I simply want them to come in a sane, organized manner and legal, at a rate in which cities, towns, states, and the country as a whole can integrate and homogenize them into society.
Always remember that the seal of our nation is: E pluribus unum and that means out of many, one. That means we are supposed to be a melting pot and not a salad bowl like we are becoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 06:32 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
At first there would be a huge vacume in the jobs they currently do. In time those jobs would be filled by legal workers. Employers would be forced to pay an honest wage and we the consumer might face price increases.
I can live with it.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:33 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,618,597 times
If all the illegals were to go tomorrow......the US would survive. Mexico on the other hand would be a nightmare. Talk about chickens coming home to roost!

And yes, I said it. I said 'Mexico' as Mexico is at the forefront of illegal border crossers. It doesn't make me racist, or bigoted. I am pointing out a fact. If the majority of people who are in this country illegally are not Mexican, please let me know.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:59 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,524,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
If all the illegals were to go tomorrow......the US would survive. Mexico on the other hand would be a nightmare. Talk about chickens coming home to roost!

And yes, I said it. I said 'Mexico' as Mexico is at the forefront of illegal border crossers. It doesn't make me racist, or bigoted. I am pointing out a fact. If the majority of people who are in this country illegally are not Mexican, please let me know.
Agreed.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:31 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,756,832 times
Alot of low skilled jobs would become available,Wages would rise for the working class.Agriculture would probably use more machines instead of hiring people at a decent wage.lot less strain on hospitals, etc

Old 07-11-2008, 11:23 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,083,112 times
Read the comments on this http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/WhatIfWeThrewOutAllTheIllegalImmigrants.aspx-- (broken link) 30 + pages and most people think the author is out of her mind.

Click "Talk Back" or http://moneycentral.msn.com/community/message/thread.asp?board=YourMoney&threadid=718611 (broken link)

Old 07-11-2008, 11:46 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,338,006 times
We'd jump up and down with joy!!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:27 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Read the comments on this http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/WhatIfWeThrewOutAllTheIllegalImmigrants.aspx-- (broken link) 30 + pages and most people think the author is out of her mind.

Click "Talk Back" or Message Boards: Your Money with Personal Finance columnist Liz Pulliam Weston - MSN Money (http://moneycentral.msn.com/community/message/thread.asp?board=YourMoney&threadid=718611 - broken link)
This is the most common sense comment I read on that article

Quote:
Why should farmers, manufacturers, building trades be supported by illegal, low-wage workers? These jobs can be filled with legal workers. If the market doesn't support the increased prices, then the products shouldn't be made available. Sweat-shop clothes are not in fashion, so neither should sweat-shop vegetables be in fashion.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,061,062 times
Side note here:

Yes; more and more agriculture and other low skill jobs are moving to Mexico.

Fine: factoring in Mx's crashing birthrate; within 10-15 years that nation will start cryin' the blues about labor shortages since their 'peons' will demand (rightfully so) better wages/benefits.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:18 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,959,531 times
LOL! Scary but true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
We could once again have lettuce and tomatos sans feces!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration