Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:45 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times

Advertisements

is it time to ban the dreaded "h word, and the c word?" I know I dread being called a h o n k e y or a cracker, so is it time to ban these painful words?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 04:47 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
oops, somebody move this into the politics forum. my bad.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:50 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
oops, somebody move this into the politics forum. my bad.
Honky tonk is a slang name for a certain type of bar......usually in the American South.

As for a cracker: I personally like Ritz.

BTW: I am Nordic White

Old 07-20-2008, 04:51 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
is it time to ban the dreaded "h word, and the c word?" I know I dread being called a h o n k e y or a cracker, so is it time to ban these painful words?
I am sorry, but what is a cracker? Does that have something to do with crack cocaine? Perhaps I am behind the times.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:54 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
lol these words have 0 weight towards white people no historical weight what so ever.....

a cracker is a slave master who cracked the whips off the back of slaves.
also the crackers were a baseball team in the negro leagues!

******-
****** - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The word honky may also refer to a particular type of country music, called honky-tonk.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:57 PM

21 posts, read 36,630 times
They're slang terms for white people. It really doesn't bother me. I think anything controversial is funny. My cousin calls me a honky all the time. It's just funny because something so insignificant, such as a word, can upset people.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
dont work that way guy. civil rights are property of the few used as a weapon against the many. was not intended to be that way, but the courts have interpreted it to be so. i have a dream.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:00 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dont work that way guy. civil rights are property of the few used as a weapon against the many. was not intended to be that way, but the courts have interpreted it to be so. i have a dream.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:02 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Honky tonk is a slang name for a certain type of bar......usually in the American South.

As for a cracker: I personally like Ritz.

BTW: I am Nordic White
Yes....that's true. Some years ago, a group of businessmen in rural Mississippi embarked on a bold experiment...they bought a number of defunct crossroads properties, some formerly known as "juke joints", others old gas stations, etc. The idea was to refurbish these places, install pool tables, and sell cheap beer, with the idea in mind of reaching out to a target clientele of poorly-educated local blacks. These nightclubs (of dubious reputation) were to be called "Black Tonks".

Alas, the experiment was a failure. Local blacks in Mississippi just never showed much interest in the notion of "Black Tonks", and most of them were forced to close. "Honky Tonks", by contrast, continue to do a brisk business in the rural South, particularly among those whites with a 'less-than-high-school' education. Experts cite simple differences in culture as being the cause of this disparity.

The group briefly considered opening some "Asian Tonks" and "Jewish Tonks", but so far, these haven't gotten beyond the talking stage...

Last edited by macmeal; 07-20-2008 at 05:31 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 07:29 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,945 times
Now I get upset being called snow flake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration