Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:47 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
It was a contract labor agreement program that the U.S had with Mexico. It was put in place because of the labor shortage in 1942. Because of mismanagement, it turned out to be an exploitation of labor and failed.

In all, it was basically a guest worker program. They came here temporarily, and went back home. This would eliminate the need for people to come here illegally since the only reason they're here illegally is for monetary reasons. They come, work, get money, go back home and come back next season.
Unfortunately, almost all of the ethnically-based Chicano/Latino support groups considered it a racist, exploitative insult, and wouldn't consider trying it again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 03:48 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGrrrrrl View Post
LOL yup just me being racist again. My bad.
Why does everything have to be a race debate?

Old 07-25-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Unfortunately, almost all of the ethnically-based Chicano/Latino support groups considered it a racist, exploitative insult, and wouldn't consider trying it again...
Well, one could argue the same thing is happening now. At least if it was put in place now, it could be regulated much more efficiently.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Well, one could argue the same thing is happening now. At least if it was put in place now, it could be regulated much more efficiently.
I would support such a plan, as long as it doesn't include amnesty for the illegals currently here.

And are you ever going to answer my questions?

Old 07-25-2008, 03:57 PM

394 posts, read 1,007,149 times
Quote:
It was a contract labor agreement program that the U.S had with Mexico. It was put in place because of the labor shortage in 1942. Because of mismanagement, it turned out to be an exploitation of labor and failed.

In all, it was basically a guest worker program. They came here temporarily, and went back home. This would eliminate the need for people to come here illegally since the only reason they're here illegally is for monetary reasons. They come, work, get money, go back home and come back next season.
i've never had a problem with the guest worker program as long as our government enforces the "temporary" part of it. the fact is we need outside help to pick our crops because for the most part that really IS "work most americans wont do".

Old 07-25-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I would support such a plan, as long as it doesn't include amnesty for the illegals currently here.

And are you ever going to answer my questions?
As I told you earlier, I do not share my personal information on the internet.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
As I told you earlier, I do not share my personal information on the internet.
Where did I ask you for personal information in this??
Quote:
Let me ask you something. Have you seen a similar drop in YOUR wages? Somehow I doubt it.

Then let me ask you this.... With all the $$$ contractors 'saved' using illegal labor, have you seen a comparable decrease in home prices? ( Not related to this sub-prime mess, of course.) We've seen over the last 20 years the single largest run-up in home prices EVER. Somehow that canard about 'keeping prices low' doesn't really ring true to me, you know?
Question 1 can be answered Yes or No and will not divulge anything 'personal'.

Question 2 requires no 'personal' information, either...

Old 07-25-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Where did I ask you for personal information in this??

Question 1 can be answered Yes or No and will not divulge anything 'personal'.

Question 2 requires no 'personal' information, either...

Let me ask you something. Have you seen a similar drop in YOUR wages? Somehow I doubt it.

Quote:
Then let me ask you this.... With all the $$$ contractors 'saved' using illegal labor, have you seen a comparable decrease in home prices? ( Not related to this sub-prime mess, of course.) We've seen over the last 20 years the single largest run-up in home prices EVER. Somehow that canard about 'keeping prices low' doesn't really ring true to me, you know?
I do not discuss my wages.

Home prices are falling because there is a bigger supply than demand. Simple economics. In places in California it is cheaper to buy a house that's already made than to buy land and build your own house. Because there is a bigger supply than demand.

Homes are decreasing in value because of

Old 07-25-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I do not discuss my wages.

Home prices are falling because there is a bigger supply than demand. Simple economics. In places in California it is cheaper to buy a house that's already made than to buy land and build your own house. Because there is a bigger supply than demand.

Homes are decreasing in value because of
You fail to even address what was asked in Question 2, which basically was "How come home prices kept RISING for the last 20 years when contractors were saving so much money paying illegals sub-standard wages"?

Old 07-25-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
You fail to even address what was asked in Question 2, which basically was "How come home prices kept RISING for the last 20 years when contractors were saving so much money paying illegals sub-standard wages"?
We bought a home in the 90's in California for $150,000. That same house today is worth more than double that. The home prices rose because of supply and demand again. It's supply and demand dude! The housing market is all supply and demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration