Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:52 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times

Advertisements

TAKE DOWN the FEEDER!

I bought a bird feeder. I hung

it on my back porch and lovingly filled

it with seed. It was indeed
a beautiful bird feeder.
Within a

week we had hundreds of birdstaking advantage of the

continuous flow of free and

easily accessible food.
But then the birds started

building nests in the boards

of the patio, above the table,

and next to the barbecue.Then came the bird s%!t. It was

everywhere; on the patio tile,

the chairs, the table ...

everywhere!Then some of the birds

turned mean. They would dive bomb me and try to

peck me even though I had

fed them out of my own

pocket.

And others birds were

boisterous and loud. They

sat on the feeder and

squawked and screamed at

all hours of the day and night

and demanded that I fill it
when it got low on food.

After awhile, I couldn't even

sit on my own back porch

anymore. So I took down the

bird feeder and in three days
the birds were gone. I cleaned

up their mess and took down

the many nests they had built
all over the patio.

Soon, the back yard was like

it used to be ... quiet, serene

and no one demanding their

rights to a free meal.Now let's see ....

Our government gives out

free food, subsidized housing,free medical care, and free

education and allows anyone
born here to be an automatic

citizen.
Then the illegals came by the millions.
Suddenly our taxes went up to pay for

free services; small apartments

are housing 5 or more families; you
have to wait 6 hours to be seen

by a doctor inan emergency room
because it is filled with illegals;

your child's 2nd grade class is

behind other schools because

over half the class doesn't speak

English.

Corn Flakes now come in a

bilingual box; I have to

'press one' to hear my bank

talk to me in English, and

people waving flags other

than 'Old Glory' are

squawking and screaming
in the streets, demanding

more rights and free liberties.

Its just my opinion but:

maybe, just maybe,

it's time for the government
to take down the damn bird feeder

Last edited by Jess5; 02-16-2008 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 12:53 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
Reformat it, kinda hard to read with all those center tags all over the place.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:57 AM

402 posts, read 1,060,869 times
I like the poem, and I agree that is is Past time to take down the bird feeder

Off topic but ......... I found a link that makes cleannig up a poem etc easy Check out the link below

ClipCache Pro Demo - ClipBoard Extender, Instant Text Cleanup, & Keyboard Macro utility

It's even better than Mr Ed's bracket cleaning tool. This one does it all.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
TAKE DOWN the FEEDER!

I bought a bird feeder. I hung

it on my back porch and lovingly filled

it with seed. It was indeed
a beautiful bird feeder.
Within a

week we had hundreds of birdstaking advantage of the

continuous flow of free and

easily accessible food.
But then the birds started

building nests in the boards

of the patio, above the table,

and next to the barbecue.Then came the bird s%!t. It was

everywhere; on the patio tile,

the chairs, the table ...

everywhere!Then some of the birds

turned mean. They would dive bomb me and try to

peck me even though I had

fed them out of my own

pocket.

And others birds were

boisterous and loud. They

sat on the feeder and

squawked and screamed at

all hours of the day and night

and demanded that I fill it
when it got low on food.

After awhile, I couldn't even

sit on my own back porch

anymore. So I took down the

bird feeder and in three days
the birds were gone. I cleaned

up their mess and took down

the many nests they had built
all over the patio.

Soon, the back yard was like

it used to be ... quiet, serene

and no one demanding their

rights to a free meal.Now let's see ....

Our government gives out

free food, subsidized housing,free medical care, and free

education and allows anyone
born here to be an automatic

citizen.
Then the illegals came by the millions.
Suddenly our taxes went up to pay for

free services; small apartments

are housing 5 or more families; you
have to wait 6 hours to be seen

by a doctor inan emergency room
because it is filled with illegals;

your child's 2nd grade class is

behind other schools because

over half the class doesn't speak

English.

Corn Flakes now come in a

bilingual box; I have to

'press one' to hear my bank

talk to me in English, and

people waving flags other

than 'Old Glory' are

squawking and screaming
in the streets, demanding

more rights and free liberties.

Its just my opinion but:

maybe, just maybe,

it's time for the government
to take down the damn bird feeder

Animal rights people even suggest not putting up bird feeders because the birds come and learn to count on it being filled and become slothful and helpless.

Bird feeders teach the birds how not to find their own seeds and how not to rely on themselves but to become like welfare leeches. First cold day without the bird feeder being filled, they sit their and starve and freeze to death.

Yet we're doing this to humans.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:49 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
I like the poem, and I agree that is is Past time to take down the bird feeder

Off topic but ......... I found a link that makes cleannig up a poem etc easy Check out the link below

ClipCache Pro Demo - ClipBoard Extender, Instant Text Cleanup, & Keyboard Macro utility

It's even better than Mr Ed's bracket cleaning tool. This one does it all.
Thanks Choctaw. It wasn't like that when I read it, so I didn't realize it until I pasted it.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,184 times
We are one of the richest nations in the world. Many of our corporations have entered into Mexico, and other 3rd world nations with NAFTA and other treaties to make record profits to the demise of our workforce because the people down there work at low pay and long hours.
Then our news media and citizens blame those seeking better lives, as did our ancestors, by coming here and seeking our good christian aid to better their lives. The media and many people who proclaim their christianity and subservience to the divine master and great feeder of masses, while passing on emails such as these, demanding that we stop being a charitable
nation, and instead embrace anger toward these faceless people.
I think that it isn’t really charity if it is easy and doesn’t test us spiritually in some manner. This issue has been ridden by the likes of Lou Dobbs and Charlie Daniels, who both proclaim themselves as christian, yet what message did Jesus tell us to carry? To deny those who seek succor?
I think that this is a terrible issue, and I don’t know the answer. I know that comparing people to birds is not really accurate or appropriate. Some people have used that argument to justify stopping aid to starving nations like Africa, or regions, like Appalachia…saying that these people if they are fed, will only reproduce and create more hunger…and I can’t get my head around viewing people in this manner, as animals, or rats.
I live and teach in an area that is heavilly populated with immigrants, and I’ve never seen a classroom where 50% of the students didn’t speak English, so I’m not sure where these numbers come from…other than to say they obviously come from the emotions of people trying to enflame the emotions of
other people.
If my response offends you, then good, maybe it will make you think. Either way, you don’t have to pass it on, just know that I am one christian who believes that my faith tries me on a regular basis to change the way I think…less like a sheep, and more like a lamb.
These words are just the words of onevoice crying out in the wilderness to remind people that love is the answer, and it isn’t
easy loving in this complicated world, but even still….love.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Voice View Post
We are one of the richest nations in the world. Many of our corporations have entered into Mexico, and other 3rd world nations with NAFTA and other treaties to make record profits to the demise of our workforce because the people down there work at low pay and long hours.
Then our news media and citizens blame those seeking better lives, as did our ancestors, by coming here and seeking our good christian aid to better their lives. The media and many people who proclaim their christianity and subservience to the divine master and great feeder of masses, while passing on emails such as these, demanding that we stop being a charitable
I think that it isn’t really charity if it is easy and doesn’t test us spiritually in some manner. This issue has been ridden by the likes of Lou Dobbs and Charlie Daniels, who both proclaim themselves as christian, yet what message did Jesus tell us to carry? To deny those who seek succor?
I think that this is a terrible issue, and I don’t know the answer. I know that comparing people to birds is not really accurate or appropriate. Some people have used that argument to justify stopping aid to starving nations like Africa, or regions, like Appalachia…saying that these people if they are fed, will only reproduce and create more hunger…and I can’t get my head around viewing people in this manner, as animals, or rats.
I live and teach in an area that is heavilly populated with immigrants, and I’ve never seen a classroom where 50% of the students didn’t speak English, so I’m not sure where these numbers come from…other than to say they obviously come from the emotions of people trying to enflame the emotions of
other people.
If my response offends you, then good, maybe it will make you think. Either way, you don’t have to pass it on, just know that I am one christian who believes that my faith tries me on a regular basis to change the way I think…less like a sheep, and more like a lamb.
These words are just the words of onevoice crying out in the wilderness to remind people that love is the answer, and it isn’t
Considering that Mexico is the source of most of the illegal immigrants to the USA---------maybe the wealthy people SOB should read and take to heart your treatise.

The per capita income in Mx is over $12K a year----------that is not a poor country.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,092,826 times
Quote:
other people.
Beautiful and heartfelt post, It is nice to know that there are still people out there like you. sassy

Old 04-07-2008, 05:26 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
other people.
Your compassion is admirable. I'm a big believer in Jesus, just as you are (I'm Catholic), and He'd probably be very disappointed with what many of us are doing today, for sure.

But Jesus said a LOT of things, about a LOT of subjects. He said things about charity, and helping the poor....and we, as a nation, do pretty well at this, to say the least. In fact, I'd say our record is pretty good on the 'being nice' scale, as a general rule....certainly as "countries" go. Also there is a great tradition of PERSONAL charity in America. It USED to be stronger, (before the Government got into the 'aid' business), but we're STILL a pretty charitable population.

What would Jesus do, if today, He were standing on the border (which He's NOT)?...Well, he'd probably be sure to offer the illegals food and water. (And so would you and I, I'm sure). They're humans, and walking in the desert is 'thirsty business". But he might gently remind them, also, that they shouldn't be violating another nation's legitimate laws, either.

I'm sure he'd be very ANGRY, as well. He'd be ANGRY at the amoral, self-serving American industrialists who encourage this demeaning, degrading human traffic. And I'm sure he'd be VERY ANGRY at the rich folks who RULE Mexico (They're Catholics, mostly, and He OFTEN gets EXTRA mad at 'us')...He'd scold THOSE folks at LENGTH, for 'abusing His little ones' (He was VERY explicit about those who'd abuse the unfortunate).

Bringing Christ into this is fine, but not necessarily the 'whole answer'. Christ would have LOTS to say, about a LOT of things, done by a LOT of people...not ONLY 'selfish' Americans (bad as we may be), but EVERYBODY involved. He MAY even 'bawl out" the illegals themselves! After all, Christ loves EVERYONE, even those in prison...yet we don't take this as a sign that these folks should just all be 'set free' tomorrow. It doesn't work that way.

I don't think it's as simple a matter as just "Lack of Charity". And, besides THAT, if you want to call Jesus into the fray, as 'moderator', then you'll have to prepare to hear ALL that He has to say...and SOME of it may not 'go down too well' in today's society.

Anyway, I enjoyed your post and wish you well..

Old 04-07-2008, 06:10 PM

334 posts, read 827,720 times
You don't have to be a Christian to show compassion for others. But my real question is -- were those birds legal or illegal immigrants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration