Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:40 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,412,714 times

Advertisements

LAUREL, Miss.— U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) special agents executed a federal criminal search warrant yesterday at Howard Industries, Inc., an electric transformer manufacturing facility, for evidence relating to aggravated identity theft, fraudulent use of Social Security numbers and other crimes, as well as a civil search warrant for individuals illegally in the United States. The announcement was made by ICE Special Agent in Charge of the Office of Investigations in New Orleans, Michael A. Holt, and Stan Harris, First Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Mississippi.

As a result of yesterday’s enforcement action, approximately 595 illegal aliens were arrested by ICE special agents. Of those, approximately 106 were identified as being eligible for an alternative to detention based on humanitarian reasons. These individuals will still be required to appear before a federal immigration judge who will ultimately determine whether or not they will be deported.

Eight criminal cases have been accepted for prosecution by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Mississippi. The criminal cases are focused on charges of aggravated identity theft. The other cases are being handled via administrative law procedures at the Department of Homeland Security.

“Yesterday’s enforcement action is part of ICE’s ongoing nationwide effort to shut down the employment magnet fueling illegal immigration,” said Holt. “We are committed to strengthening the integrity of our nation’s immigration system.”

Harris noted that the eight cases being criminally prosecuted are for separate identity theft charges. “Identity theft is a growing problem in the United States, and the Department of Justice has prioritized bringing perpetrators of these crimes to justice and protecting the interests of innocent victims.”

Jackson Free Press: Jackson, Mississippi - Noise - U.S. Attorney: 595 ‘Illegal Aliens’ Arrested (http://tinyurl.com/6ncx23 - broken link)

Old 08-26-2008, 06:06 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Ah at last we see some real positive action. Warm up the buses boys because we need about a dozen and they are headed south.
Good job ICE..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 06:08 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
Why weren't the managers and directors of Howard Industries arrested in this same series of raids? You don't just "accidentally" hire 600 undocumented workers. That can only happen because of deliberate corporate policy.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:21 PM

582 posts, read 2,039,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Why weren't the managers and directors of Howard Industries arrested in this same series of raids? You don't just "accidentally" hire 600 undocumented workers. That can only happen because of deliberate corporate policy.
Tablemtn the problem here is we focus on immigrants when the real problem is here.If these companies would not offer these jobs half of them would have no reason to come here.These companies should be fined heavily or shut down for supporting illegals but we refuse to look at real problems.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:29 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
You're absolutely correct. As I've mentioned on numerous occasions, this is all a facade. Our government isn't really serious about illegal immigration, they just need to give the appearance of actually taking action. If they were truly enforcing the law, the greedy unscrupulous employers would be handcuffed and arrested along with the illegals.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:35 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
If they were serious, the corporate directors would be hauled out in their business suits and sent to jail on the very same vans used to transport the workers. Treat all lawbreakers the same.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:41 PM

582 posts, read 2,039,421 times
Quote:
If they were serious, the corporate directors would be hauled out in their business suits and sent to jail on the very same vans used to transport the workers. Treat all lawbreakers the same.
We finally have someone here that understands what some of us have been trying get across. BUT NO! LET'S STRAIGHTEN OUT IRAQ WITH OUR OWN MONEY AND FORGET THE FU#$&N PROBLEMS WE HAVE HERE!

Old 08-26-2008, 07:56 PM

756 posts, read 2,000,428 times
So what happens to howard Ind.? they broke the law also, are they srill open? will they be fine?(major money).
I am happy about the illegals being caught but now what about the big guy that hired them?what is he doing today?

Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
Tablemtn the problem here is we focus on immigrants when the real problem is here.If these companies would not offer these jobs half of them would have no reason to come here.These companies should be fined heavily or shut down for supporting illegals but we refuse to look at real problems.
The problem is not one sided as you have said. I think a 10 grand fine for each violation would be fair. I think that jail time for the employers who knowingly hire the illeagals would be fair and not in a min security country club either. I think any employer should have to pay all legal fees associated with the deportation including the cost of returning the illegal to their native country.
That said the illegals are each accountable for their own crimes and should be deported post haste. All their assets should be seized and used to help pay for their deportation.
To say that it all the employers fault is like saying its the banks fault that it gets robbed for not having better security. No The criminal decided to rob the bank. Each and every illegal came here knowing they were breaking our laws. Each and every illegal took the risk and honestly doesn't care that they are hurting honest legals. This is no victimless crime. And each and every illegal is in fact a criminal and should be treated as such.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:08 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,330,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The problem is not one sided as you have said. I think a 10 grand fine for each violation would be fair. I think that jail time for the employers who knowingly hire the illeagals would be fair and not in a min security country club either. I think any employer should have to pay all legal fees associated with the deportation including the cost of returning the illegal to their native country.
That said the illegals are each accountable for their own crimes and should be deported post haste. All their assets should be seized and used to help pay for their deportation.
To say that it all the employers fault is like saying its the banks fault that it gets robbed for not having better security. No The criminal decided to rob the bank. Each and every illegal came here knowing they were breaking our laws. Each and every illegal took the risk and honestly doesn't care that they are hurting honest legals. This is no victimless crime. And each and every illegal is in fact a criminal and should be treated as such.

Absolutely-great post. I agree- I hold them all equally guilty. An illegal alien still takes the action-of their own free will- to come here illegally and if they are working- commit some form of ID fraud or theft. No one made them take these actions-they did them of their own free will. Just because I am poor and my neighbor's door is left open with money, food, etc inside-that does not give me the "right" to walk in and take what I want nor should it give me immunity from breaking the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration