Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:09 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's why I had to call that one bull because it simply is not true at all that it takes family sponsored immigrants 10 years wait.

This Susan and Ruben obviously have their other reasons for him staying illegal and not marrying. She could easily -- with a few inconveniences marry him and sponsor him if that's all it was, the waiting time would be significantly less than 10 years. If they married (after his divorce of course) he would be obligated to contribute to the financial support of his three kids and that might not get Susan what the welfare life does. This way she gets her full welfare handouts, he keeps what income he brings in or it provides the little extras that welfare doesn't provide.
I wasn't aware. I just assumed the 10 year penalty would be in relation to a prior illegal entry order of deportation.

The tricks of the trade that they use that is technically considered welfare fraud are well documents so I am aware of those games.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 08-23-2008 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 10:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I wasn't aware. I just assumed the 10 year penalty would be in relation to a prior illegal entry order of deportation.

The tricks of the trade that they use that is technically considered welfare fraud are well documents to I am aware of those games.
That could be -- he may have a criminal record that won't allow him to immigrate here legally for 10 years. A great number of these illegals are married men who originally crossed the border to send money back to wives and children. Not many Mexican men his age are never-marrieds, and when they get here and start another family up, most don't go through the hassle and financial costs of divorcing Wife #1. It's difficult to do that and the lawyers charge a lot.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:34 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I'm sure those chubby chica's showing up and posturing only served to fan the flames. As the trial heats up it's only going to get uglier . . .
LMFAO!!!! @ "chubby chicas". Geesh. I guess you can just come into this country and knock up some stupid american girl..and you've got the golden ticket!

Old 08-23-2008, 10:59 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
The other reason Susan doesn't care about marrying the father of her children would be the welfare system makes it better to list herself as a "single homemaker" rather than be married to an illegal who works for dirt wages and sends his money back to his other wife and kids.

thanks for clarifying these things. their explanations didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me. "i don't want her to think that i'm marrying her just for the papers" (after 5 years!). gimme a break.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
That could be -- he may have a criminal record that won't allow him to immigrate here legally for 10 years. A great number of these illegals are married men who originally crossed the border to send money back to wives and children. Not many Mexican men his age are never-marrieds, and when they get here and start another family up, most don't go through the hassle and financial costs of divorcing Wife #1. It's difficult to do that and the lawyers charge a lot.
So much for the mantra of the US being responsible for the separation of their families.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
LMFAO!!!! @ "chubby chicas". Geesh. I guess you can just come into this country and knock up some stupid american girl..and you've got the golden ticket!
Whiles she may be stupid, usually it's symptomatic of being desperate for anything resembling a man.

Prior to her situation with him, she was probably considered "white trash" by small town standards. Thus, her self esteem is probably so low she trips over it everytime she puts one foot in front of the other.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:34 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If the 'Mexicans' in question here here legally-------I would be pissed due to them being hassled for simply looking stereotypically 'Hispanic'.

Being that they are indeed illegals-----------oh, well.

Side note: where is the racism against the dark skinned Anglos? Sicilians come to mind------and, Pa has lots of Americans of Italian heritage.
I suspect that you would not know by looking at someone if they were legal or not-by that argument, seems you would have a problem w/an interracial couple regardless.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:41 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Oh, & you forgot to add this part from the article....Dillman, a mother of three — two with Martinez — did not get married because the couple had planned to move to Mexico, far from the insults and stares of Shenandoah. She says Shenandoah residents have screamed "dirty Mexican," at her boyfriend on various occasions

You know, the part where it explains that 2 of the 3 children are his...and also they had planned to move to Mexico.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:45 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I suspect that you would not know by looking at someone if they were legal or not-by that argument, seems you would have a problem w/an interracial couple regardless.
Let me put it this way: yes; I am indeed prejudiced-----------against lawbreakers and their enablers.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:47 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,127 times
Let's get things straight. We are all prejudiced up to a certain point. We are all racist up to a certain point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration