Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:25 AM

54 posts, read 49,769 times

Advertisements

Do you ever notice when there are protests that about a thousand illegals show up on one side of the street and only about 20 USA-LOVING people come to defend our country (and they are passionate about it...but I can't believe that we don't have TONS more of these Americans)? Why is everyone so wish-washy? Don't they realize this affects them too? Don't they realize that illegals help to bring our economy down? By working under the table they are not paying taxes etc. etc. They run up hospital bills...prison bills...you name it. On top of that, since they are illegal, they do not get the proper vaccinations to be in this country. Do we really need more disease ravishing the USA?
How can this be sensible? I'm just dying to know.

Last edited by bombay637; 09-03-2008 at 12:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 06:15 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,592,989 times
macmeal, you want to take this one?

Old 09-03-2008, 09:33 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
In part it is the fear of being labeled a racist. That label can and has destroyed careers, and illegal aliens and their supporters are very quick to apply this label to anyone who stands against them and their agenda.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:44 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
macmeal, you want to take this one?
It's about 90% a function of culture. Today many of us don't want to think cultures are 'different' (after all, we're 'multicultural'...right?). But cultures can and do vary profoundly ...and the American 'ideal'..(what we might call the 'middle class culture')..simply is not comfortable with the idea of loud, angry, noisy public protest. In AMERICA (and that's where we are), such 'goings on' are looked at as boorish, vulgar, silly, and MOSTLY the province of the poor, the unassimilated foreigner, or other 'fringe elements'.

The day may soon come when 'ordinary Americans' take to the streets in violent rage. But lets hope not. I'm afraid it wouldn't be 'pretty'. So far, MOST Americans look at such displays as silly, and mostly pointless. After all, MOST such protests seem to turn the public AGAINST the protesters. It's simply a case of cultural disconnect. One man's protest is another man's 'silly childish tantrum'...

There, Guy....how am I doing?

Last edited by macmeal; 09-03-2008 at 10:06 AM..

Old 09-03-2008, 09:47 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,592,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It's about 90% a function of culture. Today many of us don't want to think cultures are 'different' (after all, we're 'multicultural'...right?). But cultures can and do vary profoundly ...and the American 'ideal'..(what me might call the 'middle class culture')..simply is not comfortable with the idea of loud, angry, noisy public protest. In AMERICA (and that's where we are), such 'goings on' are looked at as boorish, vulgar, silly, and MOSTLY the province of the poor, the unassimilated foreigner, or other 'fringe elements'.

The day may soon come when 'ordinary Americans' take to the streets in violent rage. But lets hope not. I'm afraid it wouldn't be 'pretty'. So far, MOST Americans look at such displays as silly, and mostly pointless. After all, MOST such protests seem to turn the public AGAINST the protesters. It's simply a case of cultural disconnect. One man's protest is another man's 'silly childish tantrum'...

There, Guy....how am I doing?
Not bad at all...

Old 09-03-2008, 09:53 AM

3 posts, read 6,580 times
I believe that the majority of americans dont want to protest, is that if they are seen by people that they know, they would be labeled a racist.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:02 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
I wouldn't protest because my time is better spent doing other things. Protests are a feeble way to attempt to change the status quo. Yes, they do occasionally work to some degree, but as a rule they're a waste of time.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:30 AM

54 posts, read 49,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I wouldn't protest because my time is better spent doing other things. Protests are a feeble way to attempt to change the status quo. Yes, they do occasionally work to some degree, but as a rule they're a waste of time.
What, in your eyes, is a better way to get things done? I agree in the sense that protests can be useless...but don't you feel if people see that a lot of Americans are bothered by these illegals that they will for more united in making some changes?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmarine06 View Post
I believe that the majority of americans dont want to protest, is that if they are seen by people that they know, they would be labeled a racist.
exactly...on so many levels this is a norm when countries are tired of migrants esp when they dont want to assimilate. people protest in america its not so..

mexico has protested cuban illegals in mexico, and central american illegals with harrasment etc but thery arent called racist

Old 09-03-2008, 12:21 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times
As a young person, I took part in protests against the war in Vietnam. Of course, lots of us did - so, we had huge crowds, without anyone much on the other side. We didn't have "pro war" protesters fighting us.

I'd be scared now of being pushed and shoved and maybe killed by the pro-illegal crowd - those people seem vicious. I don't want to get beaten by signs that say, "no one is illegal" or "we own the southwest".

I wouldn't worry about being seen as racist, because all my friends feel the same way about illegals. Also, it IS seen now as an "undignified" way to get your point across. We see the pro-illegal crowd as a bunch of whiners who just make themselves look worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration