Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:59 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,379,365 times

Advertisements

The upshot of police corruption in Mexico has been in an almost total collapse of law and order in recent months, a terrifying state of affairs that seems to have gone largely unnoticed north of the border in the US, even though many Mexicans blame Americans for the troubles. Americans bought the drugs that funded the drugs cartels, which paid off the police, they said. Americans also supplied the weapons.

Now Americans have exported the credit crunch, resulting in a 6.9 per cent slump in the money sent home by Mexican workers in the US, forcing the poor to find other sources of income. “They start out robbing cars,” Mr Gomez said, “then they graduate to kidnapping when they realise that nothing is going to happen to them.”

Much of the evidence is anecdotal, but it is said that 99 per cent of crimes in Mexico go unpunished. That is why a recent study declared that the country now has a worse kidnapping rate than Iraq, with three or four hostages taken each day. The average ransom demand is estimated at $1.4million (£800,000), although the kidnappers will often settle for a few thousand. It is a lucrative trade, with scouts looking for new wealthy victims by attending high society events or joining social networking websites.

Mexicans have had to get used to kidnappings for many years, but the sheer number of them in recent months, combined with the allegation that police officers were involved in the capture and murder of Fernando Marti, the 14-year-old boy, has shocked the country. Several officers were arrested in connection with the Marti case, and the Government yesterday named an elite federal agent, Lorena Gonzalez, as one of the accused. It is thought that Fernando was captured when his driver was pulled over at a police checkpoint.

Mexico City is an apocalyptically dysfunctional place at the best of times, what with the pollution, the flooding, the teetering concrete slums, and the city sinking into the lake bed upon which it was built. Now the fear is turning into anger. At the football match between Mexico and Jamaica last weekend about 75,000 fans dressed in white as a plea to end police corruption — as did the national football team, whose usual uniform is green. A week before, about 150,000 people held a peace march.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article4735657.e (broken link)

World News Confirmation of Mexico's culturally embedded corruption.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 09-12-2008 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 09:43 AM

50,099 posts, read 46,680,078 times
After being rolled in broad daylight by TJ cops I haven't set foot down there since. In a lot of areas the cops are the robbers.
That one story about the Expedition getting a bullet hole in it trying to come back up from baja in the middle of night is a very good friend of mine. He knew if he stopped they would take everything so he had to play bumper cars with the obvious looking cop cars all the way back to the border.

He too has quit going down.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
After being rolled in broad daylight by TJ cops I haven't set foot down there since. In a lot of areas the cops are the robbers.
That one story about the Expedition getting a bullet hole in it trying to come back up from baja in the middle of night is a very good friend of mine. He knew if he stopped they would take everything so he had to play bumper cars with the obvious looking cop cars all the way back to the border.

He too has quit going down.
I've never been to Mexico and the more I read, the less inclined I continue to be to even think of crossing the border to hell.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:45 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,027,004 times
I visited Mexico once back in 1980---------and, apparently it was not nearly as bad back then. That stated: I had a really creepy vibe and I hightailed it back across to the USA immediately.

Suffice to say: unless/until Mexico is under US control.........I doubt I will ever visit it again.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I visited Mexico once back in 1980---------and, apparently it was not nearly as bad back then. That stated: I had a really creepy vibe and I hightailed it back across to the USA immediately.

Suffice to say: unless/until Mexico is under US control.........I doubt I will ever visit it again.
Here's hoping that never happens. If those who have invaded this nation, coupled with the population of racist legal hispanics are indicative of who will become the majority in this country, I'm outta here. I refuse to live like a wilderbeast with a massive procreating majority of poverty.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:22 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,581,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The upshot of police corruption in Mexico has been in an almost total collapse of law and order in recent months, a terrifying state of affairs that seems to have gone largely unnoticed north of the border in the US, even though many Mexicans blame Americans for the troubles.
Very interesting HEADLINE, JDubsMom!

Here's a suggestion though . . . MEXICAN POLICE ARE CRIMINALS.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:42 PM

164 posts, read 259,668 times
It is very bad there the police can't be trusted . USA should give financial aid to help things as a good will gesture.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:46 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,586,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca.G View Post
It is very bad there the police can't be trusted . USA should give financial aid to help things as a good will gesture.
The US has given Mexico financial aid for DECADES. Nothing has changed for the better, the $$$ we've given has disappeared like a fart in a windstorm. How much more do you think we should 'pour down the rat hole'?

Old 09-12-2008, 06:48 PM

164 posts, read 259,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
The US has given Mexico financial aid for DECADES. Nothing has changed for the better, the $$$ we've given has disappeared like a fart in a windstorm. How much more do you think we should 'pour down the rat hole'?
--------------
Yet you will give trillion or more to Iraq and much of this money belongs to Mexican American tax payers?

You can give Mexico a few billion you owe that much .

Old 09-12-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca.G View Post
That must be a pretty huge rock you've been living under. The US gives millions to the cesspool of Mexico annually and most recently to assist in the fight against your drug cartels:

Quote:
Democratic leaders in the United States Congress, however, have stood firm. They refused to hand over $350 million to $400 million in aid, including Black Hawk helicopters, to military and police forces with a checkered human rights history unless they got assurances that abuses would be prevented and prosecuted.
One issue bothering officials here is that Mexican soldiers, under the Constitution, cannot be tried in civil court. The Senate version of the bill would impose that requirement. Human rights advocates in Mexico and in Washington have urged Congress to use the bill to force Mexico to hold people responsible for such abuses, just as Congress has done with aid to other nations, like Colombia.
Your time would be better spent begging for help for a country that wants it rather than Mexico who has received it for more than 60 years and continues to pocket and or squander it while getting more disasterously corrupt and worthless by the minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration