Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:56 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,005,840 times

Advertisements

I'm all for annexing Mexico, at least we can collect taxes from them and the immigration problem will be solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 04:29 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
In my many visits to Mexico, where a previous company I worked for had many offices, I was always shocked by the poverty and passive nature of its citizens. I liked many aspects of the Mexican culture but strongly believed that the country will never have the prosperity of the United States, Canada or Western Europe.

Many people tell us that if only America would work with the Mexicans on their economy and send them billions of dollars in economic aide, their economy would boom and they would no longer need to send huge numbers of immigrants into America.

If only it were so easy. I see the main problem with Mexico is the Mexican Culture. People live for their families and live for the day. Education and infrastructure development are not considered that important. What can be done tommorrow will wait. Being on time is not that important or is efficency or a sense of urgency.

Agree or disagree?
Agree. Mexico has basically the same "air, water, climate, and resources" as the US....certainly at least this is true of the US Southwest. Even many of the PEOPLE are the same, racially and ethnically. What's different is the 'system'..one "works", while the other does not. I believe and will CONTINUE to believe that "race is unimportant, but culture is literally EVERYTHING".

Canada is not much different than Siberia, in terms of geography, climate, etc. One is a "nice place" while the other is not. Why? Culture. The people who LIVE in Canada simply "use" their land differently than those in Siberia use theirs..

Mexico is NOT a small country, nor does it have tough, insurmountable problems in resources or climate. It COULD be a very wealthy country. The only reason Mexico doesn't "work" is that the culture there (the 'system', if you will), doesn't allow this to happen.

Last edited by macmeal; 09-11-2008 at 04:50 PM..

Old 09-11-2008, 04:34 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,416,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I'm all for annexing Mexico, at least we can collect taxes from them and the immigration problem will be solved.
Right and who are we going to tax that will be willing to pay: the drug cartels? those who breed despite having no source of income or means of support? or maybe we can just send their corrupt government a bill annually.

We are talking about a cesspool of corruption with no law or order. You act as if you are talking about annexing Canada.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,155,674 times
Corrupt government is indeed an aspect of a dysfunctional nation's culture.

Not so long ago Ireland, Italy and Spain were probably as bad as Mexico-------yet all three Euro nations bucked and took responsibility for themselves and are now quite affluent.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:45 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,574,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Not so long ago Ireland, Italy and Spain were probably as bad as Mexico-------yet all three Euro nations bucked and took responsibility for themselves and are now quite affluent.
Mexico could improve as well. I guess it's much easier to simply dump their problems on the U.S. and whine when the citizens oppose.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Far too many who hail from these countries prefer to invade America and dump their problems and their children in the taxpayers laps.

Until the nationals of Mexico and South America stop running from their homelands and acknowledge the problem of culturally embedded corruption nothing will change.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:01 PM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Anyway......................

When is Mexico going to do something to stem the tide of their Citizens leaving? That has to be the ultimate insult.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Anyway......................

When is Mexico going to do something to stem the tide of their Citizens leaving? That has to be the ultimate insult.
Hell will probably freeze over before that happens. I think a civil war would be a great motivator, don't you?

Old 09-11-2008, 06:09 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,672,207 times
i dont know when. theyve tried. i think they have been the US's lapdog for too long. the rest of america, especially in the south is on its way to becoming a super region with lots of resources and wealth. Mexico turned its back on the south and allied with north America. for that reason a lot of america in the south resents it. the southern part of america is getting lots of help from US rivals. the next 25 years will be interesting to watch.
the FTAA failed for a reason. they didnt want to be taken for a ride by the US, like mexico was.

mexicos problems are its own, but they are not helped by US policy. mexico was content with the meager bracero programs of the past, now the new generations just saw their border crossing as an extension of that welcome mat once laid out by the US.

what is it? give an inch, take a foot?

the US on the other hand hasnt done much to curb the tide of cheap labor.

mexico and the US are both to blame.

when that will change? who knows in fact.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:20 PM

164 posts, read 260,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post

Thank you that is what I believe in. Mexico should be like Puerto Rico an American colony with it's own identity yet supported by America.

America get's labor legally and Mexico has better things. Both countries win with America gaining the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration