Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 03:20 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times

Advertisements

Protesters from around California marched in Sacramento Friday to encourage Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to sign legislation that would allow undocumented immigrant college students to be eligible for financial aid.

Nearly 2,000 people gathered for the protest, including around 100 students from UC Berkeley and Berkeley High School, according to Ronald Cruz, a UC Berkeley law student and an organizer for By Any Means Necessary, a political organization that has taken special interest in the California Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, or DREAM Act.

The organization funded two charter buses to help shuttle student protesters to Sacramento.

"What we showed is that the movement is very strong and nothing but full freedom and equal treatment will stop this movement," Cruz said. "What's clear is that there's a lot of optimism that we really felt at the rally, that our mission can turn the corner at any time and definitely that if we don't win the DREAM Act this year, we will very soon."

Schwarzenegger's deadline to sign or veto the DREAM Act, is Sept. 30. The act would allow undocumented students to receive financial aid administered by California Community Colleges, California State Universities and the University of California.

While Schwarzenegger has not yet made a decision on the recent act, he vetoed an earlier version of the bill in 2006.

"We're marching ... to get Governor Schwarzenegger to sign the California DREAM Act to recognize the equality and dignity of undocumented students in California," Felarca said. "Whether we have papers or not, we are all Californians and we are going to stand up for the rights of Californians."

Contact Kat Murti at kmurti@dailycal.org

http://www.dailycal.org/article/102811/students_march_for_dream_act

Here we are on the verge of financial collapse and yet this bunch of illegal selfish, delusional nut cases have the nerve to march and demand what they are not entilted to. It's past time to DEPORT these stupid, delusional, arrogant, insane criminal rejects.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 09-29-2008 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 03:25 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
How long before ICE can start raiding protests?

Old 09-29-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I just posted the same thing in the other thread beneath your post. Mod cut-offensive language

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 09-29-2008 at 07:07 PM..

Old 09-29-2008, 03:32 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It is coming..............

At the risk of sounding like a broken record: the economy is the 800 gorilla in the room---------especially with the financial events of the last 2 weeks. Read that what those protesting knuckleheads could have gotten away with in 2006 will probably blow up in their collective faces this time around.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
It is coming..............

At the risk of sounding like a broken record: the economy is the 800 gorilla in the room---------especially with the financial events of the last 2 weeks. Read that what those protesting knuckleheads could have gotten away with in 2006 will probably blow up in their collective faces this time around.

I know you are telling the truth but my patience are on a thread. I want this tax draining trash out of here NOW.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:44 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
What? Illegal immigrants want equality? Equal what? They are not citizens of the US. It does not matter if they were brought over the border as infants, they are still not citizens of this country and as such are in no position to demand anything let alone the rights of citizenship without any of the obligations of citizenship. The ridiculousness of this argument gets me everytime!

On a side note ----- what flags were they flying at the rally and what language were their protest signs in?

Old 09-29-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
What? Illegal immigrants want equality? Equal what? They are not citizens of the US. It does not matter if they were brought over the border as infants, they are still not citizens of this country and as such are in no position to demand anything let alone the rights of citizenship without any of the obligations of citizenship. The ridiculousness of this argument gets me everytime!

On a side note ----- what flags were they flying at the rally and what language were their protest signs in?
Agreed. The only right they have is to a deportation hearing. The sheer arrogance and sense of entitlment is infuriating and hate inducing.

I'm not sure about the flag flying, since the article didn't include photos. Will see if I can find some. If I do, will post them. I thought this would interest you, our tax dollars at work:

http://www.maldef.org/pdf/Scholarships_01252003.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-29-2008, 05:56 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. The only right they have is to a deportation hearing. The sheer arrogance and sense of entitlment is infuriating and hate inducing.

I'm not sure about the flag flying, since the article didn't include photos. Will see if I can find some. If I do, will post them. I thought this would interest you, our tax dollars at work:

http://www.maldef.org/pdf/Scholarships_01252003.pdf (broken link)
Ha! I can't believe that MALDEF would perpetuate a negative stereotype by promoting college scholarships for people regardless of immigration status only in engish and spanish!!!! Don't they know that there are Irish, Russian, and Chinese illegals out there? Laraza should organize a protest against the flagrant stereotype that illegals speak spanish -- oh, I see now this list is brought to us by the MEXICAN AMERICAN LEGAL DEFENSE FUND, as Rosanne Rossanadana used to say "never mind!"

And for any pro illegals out there --- this is yet another reason why hispanic and more specifically mexican and illegal go together so seamlessly these days. Blame your own damn leaders --- they are the ones putting out this garbage, not the KKK.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Ha! I can't believe that MALDEF would perpetuate a negative stereotype by promoting college scholarships for people regardless of immigration status only in engish and spanish!!!! Don't they know that there are Irish, Russian, and Chinese illegals out there? Laraza should organize a protest against the flagrant stereotype that illegals speak spanish -- oh, I see now this list is brought to us by the MEXICAN AMERICAN LEGAL DEFENSE FUND, as Rosanne Rossanadana used to say "never mind!"

And for any pro illegals out there --- this is yet another reason why hispanic and more specifically mexican and illegal go together so seamlessly these days. Blame your own damn leaders --- they are the ones putting out this garbage, not the KKK.
Jaw dropping arrogance isn't it?

Old 09-29-2008, 06:30 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,921 times
Now we know how Barak Obama scaled the wall of indifference... He got scholarships that I could never have gotten because of my skin color!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration