Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:58 AM

100 posts, read 326,306 times

Advertisements

The bottom line is that years ago when immigrants came here things were MUCH different. My ancestors had no choice but to learn the language and speak English. There were no "press 1 for English - press 2 for Spanish (etc.)" options. They had to get jobs that supported the families.... No Section 8, No food stamps, No NOTHING. They HAD to learn to be Americans. They may have spoken their language at home, but outside those walls they spoke ENGLISH.
We are being "reformed" to make it more comfortable for the illegals and we suffer. I have been working since I was 16 LEGALLY and when I was left a single mother at age 25 I was told that my child support of $200/month was TOO much to qualify me for anything. I was working (had just gotten a job) and all I needed was to get a little food in the house for the first month. I was refused. I came to find out that the girl I worked with was an illegal made legal because of her children born here... she received section 8, food stamps, H.E.A.T., free medical and free babysitting. All I needed was a little food for goodness sakes. She also won the Lottery (about 5K) and made the same salary as I did. The difference?? SHE was illegal and had 3 children from 3 different fathers. I lived in a 2x4 apartment and she had a whole section 8 house! If I remember correctly she had a $900 housing allowance and paid the difference to be in that house. What a crock.
By the way, I just received a notice that I will be charged a "fee" because I received child support and never used "the system". Nice - huh?
Another thing I am tired of? The deterioration of everything around me. The state of heath care, social security, etc. And the towns around me.
Also, what kind of future is in it for the kids? The "kid" jobs do not exist anymore. The illegals took over the "young adult" jobs and the adults are now delivering the newspapers.... go figure. Welcome to The USA... the land of opportunity - for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 PM

608 posts, read 923,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2South View Post
The bottom line is that years ago when immigrants came here things were MUCH different. My ancestors had no choice but to learn the language and speak English. There were no "press 1 for English - press 2 for Spanish (etc.)" options. They had to get jobs that supported the families.... No Section 8, No food stamps, No NOTHING. They HAD to learn to be Americans. They may have spoken their language at home, but outside those walls they spoke ENGLISH.
We are being "reformed" to make it more comfortable for the illegals and we suffer. I have been working since I was 16 LEGALLY and when I was left a single mother at age 25 I was told that my child support of $200/month was TOO much to qualify me for anything. I was working (had just gotten a job) and all I needed was to get a little food in the house for the first month. I was refused. I came to find out that the girl I worked with was an illegal made legal because of her children born here... she received section 8, food stamps, H.E.A.T., free medical and free babysitting. All I needed was a little food for goodness sakes. She also won the Lottery (about 5K) and made the same salary as I did. The difference?? SHE was illegal and had 3 children from 3 different fathers. I lived in a 2x4 apartment and she had a whole section 8 house! If I remember correctly she had a $900 housing allowance and paid the difference to be in that house. What a crock.
By the way, I just received a notice that I will be charged a "fee" because I received child support and never used "the system". Nice - huh?
Another thing I am tired of? The deterioration of everything around me. The state of heath care, social security, etc. And the towns around me.
Also, what kind of future is in it for the kids? The "kid" jobs do not exist anymore. The illegals took over the "young adult" jobs and the adults are now delivering the newspapers.... go figure. Welcome to The USA... the land of opportunity - for some.
It's a sad truth. I can relate since I've been off the forum a few days. I've been looking for work in Oklahoma City because I recently got laid off from my oilfield job. (I was told that I'm "too expensive" since the drilling outfit I work for can now bus Mexican workers to the jobsite and pay them a third of what I was making!) I moved to Texas to find opportunity at one time, and now I'm being told to leave it so that NON-CITIZENS and the greedy companies that hire them can be given the opportunity I worked hard to obtain.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:09 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,076 times
Ugh. I'm sick of hearing this whining about pressing "1" for English. I bet these are the same people who cry when they have to get out and walk into the bank because the drive-in window is too backed up.

People don't realize that it makes it much easier for YOU, the caller, because instead of Spanish-speaking and English-speaking individuals being routed through the same channels and to the same people, right off the bat the system can route a Spanish-speak through a completely different channel so they can speak to someone who understands them.

Effect: YOU, the English speaker, wait less time in line, instead of having to be thrown into the call queue with all of the Spanish-speakers as well.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 PM

402 posts, read 1,060,869 times
Lots of people are tired of having to press 1 for English. Some even sing about it.

YouTube - Press One For English

Old 10-14-2008, 09:48 PM

635 posts, read 1,746,403 times
There are green card and Citizen immigrants who don't know English. They tend to be older, and don't listen to English on an everyday basis, usually making it more difficult to learn the language. It's not an only illegal immigration issue.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:54 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
There are green card and Citizen immigrants who don't know English. They tend to be older, and don't listen to English on an everyday basis, usually making it more difficult to learn the language. It's not an only illegal immigration issue.
Or probably just feel more comfortable hearing important information in the language they know better.
Someone can speak decent English, but they probably prefer to hear banking information, or something important, in their first language so they dont miss a word of it.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
Lots of people are tired of having to press 1 for English. Some even sing about it.

YouTube - Press One For English
OH MY GOD!
RIVOLI REVUE! I LOVE THOSE TWO!
Theyre so darned zany and inspired in their singy words.

My favorite song is "Why them Handicapped folks get to park closer than y'all"
and
"The day Piggly Wiggly Ran out of Wonder Bread, and instead stocked tor-tilluhs"

Are they on iTunes yet??

USA! USA!
FREEDOM OF SPEECH...(but only in english!)

Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
My grandparents were here legally. Came to the US in the 1920's. My grandfather never learned English other than basic conversational English. Maybe on the equivalent of a 5 year old. He worked with people that spoke his native language, married within his ethnic group, worked 40 years in a factory, owned a 3 unit apartment building, paid his taxes and so on. My grandmother learned some English from watching TV. They got by fine and many businesses were more than happy to take their money. Businesses don't care what language is spoken by the people purchasing their products. They just want the sale. And that's why we're pressing 1 for English. At least it's still 1.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
My grandparents were here legally. Came to the US in the 1920's. My grandfather never learned English other than basic conversational English. Maybe on the equivalent of a 5 year old. He worked with people that spoke his native language, married within his ethnic group, worked 40 years in a factory, owned a 3 unit apartment building, paid his taxes and so on. My grandmother learned some English from watching TV. They got by fine and many businesses were more than happy to take their money. Businesses don't care what language is spoken by the people purchasing their products. They just want the sale. And that's why we're pressing 1 for English. At least it's still 1.
And let me guess, your parent, of those grandparents, speaks fluent English?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post

But what is the point in moving to a country when you don't wish to learn it's language or live in only a little ethnic enclave?

I realize there are Americans who do this also, they live in little American enclaves in Mexico and other places, don't care to meet the people of those countries or socialize with them but I don't understand the point in that. To me it seems intellectually lazy to not want to learn everything you can about a country you move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration