U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2008, 05:57 PM
 
117 posts, read 280,124 times
Reputation: 87

Advertisements

Ok, I am about fed up now with all this nonsense I see on this site. I am an American of Mexican descent (also known as Mexican Americans or Chicanos, but same meaning) and I, along with my parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc were born and raised in the USA and are proud of it. I also love and embrace my Mexican culture as well as my American culture. But whenever Mexican Americans are the topic about a certain story, how come everyone has to change the subject to immigration!? How dare you compare us to illegal immigrants! We are NOT immigrants in this country. And I know that there are Mexicans who come here legally and they are immigrants of course, but Mexican Americans are mostly born in the USA. Why are people too damn lazy to go and read a book before posting comments full of gibberish! Now of course my ancestors a LONG WAY back were from Mexico or were from the southwest USA when it was Mexico, but doesn't everyone in this country come from immigrants? The white people mostly came from Europe, the black people mostly came from Africa, and the rest came from different countries except the Native Americans, of course. My point is that we are no longer immigrants because we have generations of people that are US born and are Americans. I know the difference between African Americans and Africans from Africa, so why won't most of you know the difference between Mexican Americans and Mexicans from Mexico? There is no excuse at all to explain why people do this. Mexican Americans are rightfully Americans and can stand up and speak whenever they want to without anyone getting all angry. Most of us aren't even accepted by Mexicans in Mexico! And as I see it, we are not even accepted by our own Americans! What are we to do? Nobody knows how hard it is to be one uf us until you have lived in my shoes. I see discrimination and racism left and right and it is killing me! Just because I like Lowriders, I am thought of as an illegal gangster. Excuse me but the Lowrider is an American creation and was not invented in Mexico nor was invented by gangsters. When (for ONLY certain days like Cinco De Mayo, etc.) I carry an American flag with a Mexican flag, I am viewed as a racists and Un-American. Do I not have a right to embrace my other culture just for one day? I mean I know I am an American, but I cannot forget my Mexican heritage. Cesar Chavez, Selena Quintanilla Perez, Oscar De La Hoya, Carlos Santana, Tony Romo. These are all examples of American citizens, not illegal immigrants. So please the next time you see a person who looks Latino, don't view them as an immigrant (illegal or legal) because you don't know nothing about their background or where they were born. And don't act like you didn't have people from other countries in your family at one point in history. I have Mexican roots, but most importantly I am an American and I am proud of that.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 10-20-2008, 06:10 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 8,304,084 times
Reputation: 3017
The majority of people don't simply assume that people of Mexican descent are immigrants any more than they assume that all people of Asian descent immigrated from Japan.

Making assumptions is dangerous. As the old saying goes, to assume anything makes an ass out of you and me.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-20-2008, 06:16 PM
 
117 posts, read 280,124 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
The majority of people don't simply assume that people of Mexican descent are immigrants any more than they assume that all people of Asian descent immigrated from Japan.

Making assumptions is dangerous. As the old saying goes, to assume anything makes an ass out of you and me.
Well yeah not everyone thinks this but I see it on a daily basis everywhere I go. Whether it be on the internet or in everyday life.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-20-2008, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,638 posts, read 4,663,325 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
Ok, I am about fed up now with all this nonsense I see on this site. I am an American of Mexican descent (also known as Mexican Americans or Chicanos, but same meaning) and I, along with my parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc were born and raised in the USA and are proud of it. I also love and embrace my Mexican culture as well as my American culture. But whenever Mexican Americans are the topic about a certain story, how come everyone has to change the subject to immigration!? How dare you compare us to illegal immigrants! We are NOT immigrants in this country. And I know that there are Mexicans who come here legally and they are immigrants of course, but Mexican Americans are mostly born in the USA. Why are people too damn lazy to go and read a book before posting comments full of gibberish! Now of course my ancestors a LONG WAY back were from Mexico or were from the southwest USA when it was Mexico, but doesn't everyone in this country come from immigrants? The white people mostly came from Europe, the black people mostly came from Africa, and the rest came from different countries except the Native Americans, of course. My point is that we are no longer immigrants because we have generations of people that are US born and are Americans. I know the difference between African Americans and Africans from Africa, so why won't most of you know the difference between Mexican Americans and Mexicans from Mexico? There is no excuse at all to explain why people do this. Mexican Americans are rightfully Americans and can stand up and speak whenever they want to without anyone getting all angry. Most of us aren't even accepted by Mexicans in Mexico! And as I see it, we are not even accepted by our own Americans! What are we to do? Nobody knows how hard it is to be one uf us until you have lived in my shoes. I see discrimination and racism left and right and it is killing me! Just because I like Lowriders, I am thought of as an illegal gangster. Excuse me but the Lowrider is an American creation and was not invented in Mexico nor was invented by gangsters. When (for ONLY certain days like Cinco De Mayo, etc.) I carry an American flag with a Mexican flag, I am viewed as a racists and Un-American. Do I not have a right to embrace my other culture just for one day? I mean I know I am an American, but I cannot forget my Mexican heritage. Cesar Chavez, Selena Quintanilla Perez, Oscar De La Hoya, Carlos Santana, Tony Romo. These are all examples of American citizens, not illegal immigrants. So please the next time you see a person who looks Latino, don't view them as an immigrant (illegal or legal) because you don't know nothing about their background or where they were born. And don't act like you didn't have people from other countries in your family at one point in history. I have Mexican roots, but most importantly I am an American and I am proud of that.
I am of Mexican descent also and I am sick of the illegals and not everyone calls anyone with a Hispanic name a Mexican. Nor do they call all immigrants Mexican. Try again and the next time try not to lie.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM
 
16,087 posts, read 38,858,730 times
Reputation: 6331
I think this is a bit silly. Most people these days have gone to school with hispanics from with backgrounds from various areas and know a bit more than you give them credit for..I wonder why your anger is not also directed at the many illegals who have created a lot of animosity.?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-20-2008, 07:55 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 6,426,880 times
Reputation: 333
They don't think all Hispanics are immigrants. Just if they look a certain way, and don't hear them speak any English.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-20-2008, 08:32 PM
 
47,528 posts, read 65,622,207 times
Reputation: 22381
I think it has to do with the people who call themselves Mexican because a Mexican is a citizen of Mexico.

It's weird but I've known people who never stepped foot into Mexico, don't know Spanish and they tell people they are Mexican so of course people assume they have immigrated. No other Americans refer to themselves as some kind of foreign citizen.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-20-2008, 08:35 PM
 
47,528 posts, read 65,622,207 times
Reputation: 22381
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
They don't think all Hispanics are immigrants. Just if they look a certain way, and don't hear them speak any English.
Well yeah -- if they don't speak any English, it's a good bet they are immigrants. Not always though, a whole lot of people born here are not learning to speak any English but in most cases you can assume their parents are from Mexico.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-20-2008, 09:34 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 6,426,880 times
Reputation: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it has to do with the people who call themselves Mexican because a Mexican is a citizen of Mexico.

It's weird but I've known people who never stepped foot into Mexico, don't know Spanish and they tell people they are Mexican so of course people assume they have immigrated. No other Americans refer to themselves as some kind of foreign citizen.
Are you sure about that? Youre saying NOBODY ELSE refers to themselves as Italian, Irish, Indian, Korean, etc?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
608 posts, read 867,634 times
Reputation: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well yeah -- if they don't speak any English, it's a good bet they are immigrants. Not always though, a whole lot of people born here are not learning to speak any English but in most cases you can assume their parents are from Mexico.
Sad but true...I live in southern Texas, and know MANY legally born US citizens that don´t know basic English, and basicly act as if they still reside in Mexico. They just refuse to assimilate. Obviously, many people would assume these people are illegal.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top