Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 05:49 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,597,511 times

Advertisements

El Paso, TX News & Weather, Las Cruces News & Weather, Traffic & Sports - KFOXTV

KVIA.com El Paso, Las Cruces - Weather, News, Sports - Home
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 PM

50,535 posts, read 47,325,804 times
I am giddy

Old 02-17-2009, 07:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,580,826 times
Great news....WELL overdue..

Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,290,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Great news....WELL overdue..
About it being "overdue", I don't really think so.
I think time served is enough of punishment(in other words, I think 10 years was pretty crazy for the crime).

Do you believe they didn't deserve any punishment for being law enforcers hiding evidence having to do with shooting a suspect?

I don't really take you as a "God Bless Ramos and Compean, American heroes!"-type.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:29 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,763,564 times
Easy enough to sit on the periphery--being spoon-fed your information by the mainstream media--without a REAL clue of what actually happened and believe that these two men were actually guilty as charged. But then again, that does tend to happen when one would rather believe EVERYTHING they read without actually doing the research. It's so much easier to pass judgement when you don't have all the facts.....

Ramos and Compean are heroes. Too bad you'll never really get it. But hey, I doubt they're losing any sleep because some guy with a computer on an internet posting site thinks that they got what they deserved.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,290,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Easy enough to sit on the periphery--being spoon-fed your information by the mainstream media--without a REAL clue of what actually happened and believe that these two men were actually guilty as charged. But then again, that does tend to happen when one would rather believe EVERYTHING they read without actually doing the research. It's so much easier to pass judgement when you don't have all the facts.....

Ramos and Compean are heroes. Too bad you'll never really get it. But hey, I doubt they're losing any sleep because some guy with a computer on an internet posting site thinks that they got what they deserved.
You play golf with their wives or something? How are you not "on the periphery" of this issue? What do you know that the rest of us don't that proves that Ramos and Compean didn't DELIBERATELY try to hide the inicident?

And your whole "movement" is run by a bunch of weekend warriors and "guys with computers on an internet posting site", feeding and absorbing misinformation, doing your own brand of yellow journalism on those lousy smear sites and groups. So don't knock it, lol

I'm open to any evidence that you may have that will prove Ramos and Compean are the saints your type make them out to be, but as of now, I don't see them as being worth any respect, especially since there's plenty of Border Patrol agents who do their job by the rules.
Many who even do their job while managing to be humane and compassionate to the people they capture/rescue.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:44 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,580,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
About it being "overdue", I don't really think so.
I think time served is enough of punishment(in other words, I think 10 years was pretty crazy for the crime).

Do you believe they didn't deserve any punishment for being law enforcers hiding evidence having to do with shooting a suspect?

I don't really take you as a "God Bless Ramos and Compean, American heroes!"-type.
Thank you for not 'taking me' as that...

Honestly, since you ask? I've never felt 'clean' about this, and it's clear these guys cut corners. What they DID, I can understand...but covering it up caused their problems. ("covering up" is serious business..in the Public Water field in Calif., I once had a boss who was fired...not for making a stupid decision in regard to a sewage spill, but in 'falsifying documents' in order to cover it up. Sewer spills are forgivable. Perjury is not)...

In my opinion, both officers should have been suspended pending a fair hearing; and, if found derelict in their duties, or guilty of falsifying records, (after hearing the testimony of their immediate superiors), should have been fired from their jobs.

I'd have felt a WHOLE lot better, though, if Aldrete-Davila, their "victim", instead of being treated as an international celebrity, had gone to prison himself...for THAT incident.

Thanks again for considering me 'reasonable'. In fact, I believe many share my views. It's the outrage in the CONTRAST of the two parties to the case that causes the anger. You'll recall that Aldrete-Davila had a sister (in Tucson, I believe) who got US authorities in touch with him in Mexico. They 'sought him out', gave him immunity, flew him to the States as an 'honored guest', used HIS testimony to convict the officers, then let him go (only to return a few months later with an even LARGER load of drugs).

Aldrete-Davila FINALLY managed to get himself arrested (two or three 'trips' later)...but I believe it was the contrast of seeing these two officers CRUCIFIED with a draconian, decade-long sentence (and hearing that ONE of them was severely beaten, in prison, by a group of illegals)...while the 'scumbag' was free to go, and continue smuggling drugs, in a 'business-as-usual' manner that REALLY ticked people off.

Thanks for asking..

Old 02-17-2009, 11:06 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,662,896 times
Really good news. Thanks for links Benicar. If they can benefit in any way from this horrible experience to not ever have to work in the future, I wish for their every success in never having to deal with illegal scum again.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:24 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,838,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
You play golf with their wives or something? How are you not "on the periphery" of this issue? What do you know that the rest of us don't that proves that Ramos and Compean didn't DELIBERATELY try to hide the inicident?

And your whole "movement" is run by a bunch of weekend warriors and "guys with computers on an internet posting site", feeding and absorbing misinformation, doing your own brand of yellow journalism on those lousy smear sites and groups. So don't knock it, lol

I'm open to any evidence that you may have that will prove Ramos and Compean are the saints your type make them out to be, but as of now, I don't see them as being worth any respect, especially since there's plenty of Border Patrol agents who do their job by the rules.
Many who even do their job while managing to be humane and compassionate to the people they capture/rescue.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:31 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,592,859 times
davila tried to kill them, they reacted, they fell short of department guidelines in their response however the fact remains davila was free they were not. too many cops go to jail and the criminals go free. this is a great evil---- perversion of justice. hats off to congress much pressure was put on mr. bush to take this action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration