Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:12 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The United States army is to accept immigrants with temporary US visas, for the first time since the Vietnam war, according to the New York Times. Until now immigrants have had to have permanent residency - a "green card" - in order to qualify for the services.

But those with temporary visas will be offered accelerated citizenship if they enrol, the Times says.

"The army will gain in its strength in human capital, and the immigrants will gain their citizenship and get on a ramp to the American dream."

Army recruiters say their job has become easier in recent months as unemployment has risen in the US. But even so, they regret having had to turn away many immigrants because they had only temporary residency.

However, the Times said there appeared to be some opposition from officers and veterans, who expressed concern that some foreigners might have divided loyalties or be terrorists seeking to infiltrate the US armed services.
BBC NEWS | Americas | US army 'wants more immigrants'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 04:24 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why should we be concerned with 'divided loyalties'? Don't we allow 'dual citizenship'? We either WANT it, or we DON'T....can someone explain?...

Old 02-16-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Why should we be concerned with 'divided loyalties'? Don't we allow 'dual citizenship'? We either WANT it, or we DON'T....can someone explain?...
Haven't you heard? We are One World. Since we have no borders, we certainly can’t expect allegiance. These veterans are nuts.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:02 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Haven't you heard? We are One World. Since we have no borders, we certainly can’t expect allegiance. These veterans are nuts.
I never did trust them anyway. Took my dog to a Veteran one time to get him 'fixed', and he overcharged me. Next dog I get, I'll spray him myself, with a garden hose. Can't be THAT complicated...

Old 02-16-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I never did trust them anyway. Took my dog to a Veteran one time to get him 'fixed', and he overcharged me. Next dog I get, I'll spray him myself, with a garden hose. Can't be THAT complicated...
You are certifiable!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
Quote:
GREAT NEWS!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:41 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,887 times
Service guarantees citizenship!

Would you like to know more?

Old 02-17-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
GREAT NEWS!!!
Why do you consider this great news? I have the same concerns as the veterans. I believe we are inviting enemy infiltration, and who knows what else. Why don’t they just hire mercenaries? At least we will know they are in it for the money, and there will be no allegiance.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:00 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,887 times
Quote:
Why do you consider this great news? I have the same concerns as the veterans. I believe we are inviting enemy infiltration, and who knows what else. Why don’t they just hire mercenaries? At least we will know they are in it for the money, and there will be no allegiance.
Well we have Blackwater which is mostly ex U.S. special forces from various branches. People didn't like that much so I doubt they'd like foreign mercenaries any better.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:04 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
this is great news. enlistment is below average now. they have lowered intellectual standards, and relaxed restrictions on individuals with prior criminal history.

i highly doubt that bad will come of this. its as suspect as the claim that gang members infiltrate the armed services and take what they learn back to the hood.

thats paranoia. it wont happen.

besides most people who would like to see the US fail are not the ones dying to move here. it might be those who belong to religions with extreme military factions, i.e. islam. are we now going to exclude muslims from serving in the armed services because some muslims around the world want to destroy the US?

and as i know. the armed services are a way of people getting out of the hood and making something for themselves.

thats tha way i see it. another rung on the ladder of success in the US!
i dont think the armed services are going to be over run by people intent on harming the US.

GREAT NEWS!!!

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration