Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:22 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has a message for critics behind a doctored photo that shows him in a Ku Klux Klan outfit holding a noose around a Hispanic man: "you're not going to get rid of me."

"The more they complain, the more I'm going to enforce the law," Arpaio told FOXNews.com.

An immigrants rights activist said he received the photo from an unknown person and sent it out to members of the media to explain the concern from the Arizona Hispanic community about Arpaio's efforts to lock up illegal immigrants.

“Our community feels that he is trying to lynch us,” said Elias Bermudez, a spokesman for Immigrants Without Borders, an immigrants rights advocacy group. "It's just portraying how we feel that he is after us."

FOXNews.com - Arizona Sheriff Outraged Over Doctored Photo Showing Him in Ku Klux Klan Robe - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 10:35 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Two responses to this story:

1) I think the sheriff is an idiot.

2) I'm sick of illegal immigrants hijacking the American Civil Rights movement, comparing their situation to the African-American struggle for civil rights. It nauseates me.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:06 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Two responses to this story:

2) I'm sick of illegal immigrants hijacking the American Civil Rights movement, comparing their situation to the African-American struggle for civil rights. It nauseates me.

1. He's an idiot for being such a publicity hound
2. Yeah, they kill me with that..Theirs a border you crossed it illegally, don't abide by the laws and you take away jobs that should go to citizens here..Whats so racist about that??????

Old 08-17-2007, 04:49 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,123 times
=============================
I STRONGLY Disagree. He is using his position as a great publicity campaign and doing a great job. He is a National Figure and is very popular. He is a smart man. Go Joe!!

Old 08-17-2007, 11:52 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
This is no surprise, a Sheriff oposes illegal immigration so he's branded a racist.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:10 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Mr. Elias Bermudez is doing his people a serious disservice for demanding his people's 'civil rights' in the US - he should take it down to south of the border and doctor up photos of the Mexican elite in protest of the poor civilians of Mexico and see how long he would last.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:01 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Joe is a national Hero, here in Oklahoma, everyone supports him. I just wish Arizona's new Immigration Law, which took effect 11/07 was enforced like ours is in OK.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:14 PM

136 posts, read 292,316 times
So, when will the ACLU and/or SPLC stand up for his civil rights and attempt to file a lawsuit against those who intended to stir up racial tensions? Oh right, pro-illegals can't be racist. Silly me.

Quote:
The illegal immigration problem could be helped with temporary jails set up to lock up illegal immigrants crossing the border, Arpaio said.
Damned right!

Quote:
Arpaio said there are 2,000 illegal immigrants out of 10,000 inmates locked up in his jail. The sheriff, known for making inmates wear pink underwear, requires illegal immigrants to learn English and sing "God Bless America" and the National Anthem daily.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:21 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonaldson View Post
So, when will the ACLU and/or SPLC stand up for his civil rights and attempt to file a lawsuit against those who intended to stir up racial tensions? Oh right, pro-illegals can't be racist. Silly me.

Damned right!

Just call em' Hipocrits

Old 10-28-2008, 09:23 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,342,908 times
do you notice they always leave out the important wording for thier
group... "immigrants rights advocacy group"
They forgot to add the important word "ILLEGAL"

They are not here to advocate immigrant rights.. who the heck are
they trying to fool... they are here to advocate ILLEGALS, who in turn
have NO rights... why don't these big mouth illegal lovers go to mexico.
They are all hell-bent on speaking up for those from sob. They all
know they are safe protesting here hiding behind political skirts...
None of these groups have the guts to go to the source, mexico.
Just like the illegals they are defending.. no guts. No honor among thieves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration