Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 AM

532 posts, read 907,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In a nutshell: especially looking at our crashing economy; anybody who knowingly hires an illegal immigrant over an American/green card holder is a de facto traitor.

And the above is over and beyond aiding and abetting criminals--------ID theft and non payment of taxes are Felonies along with being apprehended crossing our border a second time.
Right, so why don't we call the people who hire illegal immigrants "Illegals"? I'm just saying, why is all the focus on the people who come here looking to work- okay it is illegal, I agree, they are criminals. But on the other hand, they wouldn't be drawn here if there weren't so many people willing to hire them! I'm more angry at the American citizens who hire illegal immigrants than the immigrants themselves. When it seems that all the focus is on the immigrants themselves, that seems like racism. Especially when there's no way you can tell by looking at a person whether they are here legally or not. I'm afraid that all this boils down to is stereotyping of hispanic people- some of whom are here legally, working legally, defending the US, raising families, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 11:53 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,619,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
Right, so why don't we call the people who hire illegal immigrants "Illegals"? I'm just saying, why is all the focus on the people who come here looking to work- okay it is illegal, I agree, they are criminals. But on the other hand, they wouldn't be drawn here if there weren't so many people willing to hire them! I'm more angry at the American citizens who hire illegal immigrants than the immigrants themselves. When it seems that all the focus is on the immigrants themselves, that seems like racism. Especially when there's no way you can tell by looking at a person whether they are here legally or not. I'm afraid that all this boils down to is stereotyping of hispanic people- some of whom are here legally, working legally, defending the US, raising families, etc.
The stereotyping of hispanic people as being largely illegal immigrants and/or supportive of illegal immigration is because...well, the hispanic people themselves.
It cannot be argued that the majority of people who are in the US illegally are hispanic, and that they crossed into the US via the Mexican border.
Add to that the pro illegal groups such as LaRaza, Mecha, and Lulac and you start getting the idea that there is great support for this criminal behavior within the hispanic community. Then when there is a rally, the language is in Spanish, the signs are in Spanish and the flags being flown proudly are Mexican....well, you can see how assumptions can be made

Old 11-13-2008, 11:55 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,063,514 times
Quote:
Hold your horses, please!

I have no use for illegals------------regardless of race/ethnicity.

BTW: there is no Hispanic race...........it is a political label only. Trust me: hispanic culture is extremely White supremacist---------the standard of beauty in both Mexico and Spain is white skin, blue eyes and preferably stereotypical 'Euro' facial features. Take a look at a telenovela........the Mestizos/Indians typically are comparable to the 'house Negroes' of a different era in American history.

As for those traitors who hire illegals----------they need to be dealt with accordingly to the law. If it means seizure of their assets and jail time--------so be it.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Also wanted to add that I completely agree with you that employers of illegal immigrants have been getting a pass. I would like to see severe fines as well as jail time for repeat offenders. This would include everyone from large processing plants to roofing contractors.
I would also like to see our politicians also have to answer for deliberately keeping our border porous (which is not safe) while giving lip service to immigration reform.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Also wanted to add that I completely agree with you that employers of illegal immigrants have been getting a pass. I would like to see severe fines as well as jail time for repeat offenders. This would include everyone from large processing plants to roofing contractors.
I would also like to see our politicians also have to answer for deliberately keeping our border porous (which is not safe) while giving lip service to immigration reform.
I'm curious who you think will do these jobs and how you think employers will be able to pay them a living wage?

Old 11-13-2008, 03:07 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,063,514 times
Quote:
I'm curious who you think will do these jobs and how you think employers will be able to pay them a living wage?
Is that a serious question?

I strongly suspect why our unemployment rate is 'only' ca. 6.5% is due to the millions of illegals selfdeporting to Mexico, etc. Translation: if said illegal immigrants were 'legal'---------our rate would be at least 7.5%.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:10 PM

638 posts, read 1,846,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
..the whole point is to change what it means to be and Illegal Immigrant, by changing the name.
Referring to them as "immigrants" is part of a propaganda campaign.

They are not by any legal definition, an "immigrant", and any such terms, i.e., undocumented immigrant, undocumented worker, illegal immigrant, etc., ad infinitum, are propaganda to side-step the basic fact : they are criminals. They are defined by law as "aliens", and any action in this country (other than possibly deporting themselves immediately) is "illegal", ergo, "illegal aliens". There is nothing derogatory in this description of criminals who have breached our borders.

The only reason anyone would take offense to the description "illegal alien" or abbreviated, "illegals", is because they are either dumbed-down through political correctness, part of the corruption, or an illegal alien. The politically correct may well be ignorant, but they are part of a vested interest in the corruption of our laws.

"To sanction disregard for the Constitution in the name of protecting society from law breakers is to make the government itself lawless and to subvert those values upon which our ultimate freedom and liberty depend.”
-- Judge Brennan (Techniques of Propaganda, under the auspices of : The International Human Rights Conservancy)

Old 11-13-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Is that a serious question?

I strongly suspect why our unemployment rate is 'only' ca. 6.5% is due to the millions of illegals selfdeporting to Mexico, etc. Translation: if said illegal immigrants were 'legal'---------our rate would be at least 7.5%.
Yes I am serious. Sure there are US citizens without jobs, but they aren't going to take a job picking apples for $10 a day because 1. they wouldn't want to and 2. it is illegal. You must pay minimum wage. If employers are going to hire legal US citizens, they will have to pay at least $7.25/hour, not to mention benefits, etc. How will they pay for it? I'm just asking because in this mess of an economy we have, paying a lot more for workers is going to be a very difficult thing for small businesses. I'm not saying they shouldn't be paying it. I'm just saying that our system has been built around abusing workers and paying them much less than a living wage. If that goes away, then something else will have to give. Prices will have to go up, etc. It was a serious question I really am curious.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I think that there are a lot more solutions then pro illegal alien supporters would suggest.
If businesses were forced to hire citizens and/or legal immigrants of course they would be forced to pay a living wage and even (gasp!) benefits. Would the cost go up? Probably, but not as astronomically as some would suggest. After all, do you think that businesses are only making the bare minimum profit by hiring illegals? Hell no. Plus, things will sell for only what the market will support. There will not be a $10 strawberry for the simple fact that noone would buy it.
And as to the agricultural jobs, there are two very sane, very easy solutions. The first is a sanctioned guest worker program. The second would be to use prison labor. And why not? Prisoners (at least those in the federal system) have to work to earn money to buy their own toilet paper and toothpaste....they would be thrilled to make more money and get out of the prison walls, even if the work is dirty. Plus, prisoners tend to make only 25 cents an hour for most jobs. It would be a win/win for everybody involved.
I must say that I read your response to Arizonia Bear, and I came away horrified. How can you possibly defend a system that abuses people by paying them $10 a day? My god, that is a form of slavery and it is disgusting. And yet well meaning people not only defend the practice but want its continuation! Truely it baffles my mind.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:55 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,389,058 times
As long as Citizens are being effected by their illegitimacy, they will be called exactly what they've labeled themselves as.."Illegals".
If this offends anyone, I apologize. You shouldn't be offended unless your uneffected and have some amount of favortism toward them for some ungodly reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration