Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:46 PM

31 posts, read 93,271 times

Advertisements

I saw that you had a thread like this in the past. This issue is very fresh for me since I just got back from a week-long Los Angeles vacation yesterday.

I had been looking forward to visiting Los Angeles for some time now. We just got a foot of snow in Illinois, so the timing was perfect to take my family on a week vacation in sunny California. We got off the plane on 2-14-07 at LAX and it was 73 degrees. This was a welcome relief from the cold temeratures in Illinois which have been hovering around the zero mark where we live.
Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 05:19 PM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
Excellent post Voyager! You hit all the right aspects. I agree 100%. There will be no white people here in thirty years! -Only Mexicans. Only illiterate, child-bearing, criminal Mexicans.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:33 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
To touch on only one part of your post, yes, many hospitals and emergency centers are closing their doors because of the numerous uninsured people. It's sad to see.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:11 PM

355 posts, read 842,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I saw that you had a thread like this in the past. This issue is very fresh for me since I just got back from a week-long Los Angeles vacation yesterday.

Traffic has been horrible in Los Angeles since the 50's (yes, before the Mexicans), back when the train system was purposefully defunct and replaced by the transit network you see today. The traffic you encountered going to/coming from LAX was not caused by illegal immigration (nor "filled up by Mexican and Chinese immigrants") but by traffic common to the Southland. Even if you had visited on the days of the protests last year, you still would have been sitting in hours of traffic during RUSH HOUR.

I guess I should mention that Walmart is not the same commodity in Southern California that it is in most parts of the South or Midwest-- it's like shopping at the 99 cent store and is frequented by the very low class. Even in Walmarts in wealthier cities such as Foothill Ranch (68% White, 11% Hispanic), Huntington Beach (72% White, 14% Hispanic), and Laguna Niguel (77% White, 10% Hispanic) you'll still find a disproportionate amount of lower class and Hispanic shoppers. Had you visited a normal Albertson's or Vons, you probably wouldn't have encountered the same issues.

And I'd be interested to know in which "suburb" you stayed in.

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 11:37 AM..

Old 02-21-2007, 07:39 PM

Amavel,

In looking over your recent posts, you seem to be a proponent of illegal immigration. So it doesn't surprise me to see you try to dispute my post. What I saw and heard with my own eyes and ears is nothing that you can nullify in a few paragraphs of meaningless statistics. I've already read a lot of these statistics online, and very few of them match what is happening in real life.

The fact remains, illegal immigration is ruining Los Angeles County. Just ask any police officer, school teacher, or health care worker who works there. I am sure they would be glad to tell you about it. It is a horrific and disgusting tragedy.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Amavel,

In looking over your recent posts, you seem to be a proponent of illegal immigration.
For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
I don't fully understand the notion that the minute an immigrant, illegal or not, arrives on American soil, they should be conversational English speakers and should immediately forego their attachment to their native tongue.
If that is not a comment that promotes illegal immigration, I don't know what is. Being able to speak and read English fluently is a requirement for U.S. citizenship. If people who come here have no interest in learning English, they need to just turn around and go back home.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:41 PM

355 posts, read 842,592 times
Quote:
For example: ...
If that is not a comment that promotes illegal immigration, I don't know what is. Being able to speak and read English fluently is a requirement for U.S. citizenship. If people who come here have no interest in learning English, they need to just turn around and go back home.

That comment (which you have taken beyond its context, actually) doesn't promote anything but tolerating those who are LEARNING English. I wouldn't expect an immigrant, legal or not, to come to America and use perfect grammar, know colloquialisms, and be without an accent. As I would assume a Russian (or any other national) wouldn't expect you to be an expert of their language upon arrival.

And I wasn't spouting statistics to demean your experiences, I was just explaining what life is like as a local, beyond visiting for a short time. Yes, I live in Orange County and have lived in Los Angeles County. I was merely pointing out some misconceptions in your experiences, as I could visit NYC and say, "Hey NYC is filled with Jews! I couldn't go anywhere without seeing a rich Jew! They all spoke Yiddish!" Of course, anyone who has spent an extended period of time in the city would know that there are Jews, but they aren't a vast majority and there are many other ethnicities, etc.

And being fluent in English is not a requirement for U.S. citizenship, only that the applicant has "an ability to read, write, and speak English". Which, honestly, means they could memorize key phrases, names, and dates in order to meet said requirement.

And please don't assume that I am for or against anything, because I have clearly stated my stance on numerous occasions. But, for you, I will again state that I am very much against illegal immigration. On the other hand, I am in support of humane and respectful treatment of illegal immigrants, because the life of an immigrant (both legal and illegal) is not necessarily an easy one.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:17 AM

202 posts, read 833,871 times
Voyager, I agree with your first post 100%. It's getting out of control here in LA. Don't even get me started on illegals and shopping carts

Old 02-22-2007, 09:40 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Quote:
Traffic has been horrible in Los Angeles since the 50's (yes, before the Mexicans), back when the train system was purposefully defunct and replaced by the transit network you see today. The traffic you encountered going to/coming from LAX was not caused by illegal immigration (nor "filled up by Mexican and Chinese immigrants") but by traffic common to the Southland. Even if you had visited on the days of the protests last year, you still would have been sitting in hours of traffic during RUSH HOUR. .
Actually everyone I know commented on how little traffic there was when the illegals went on their “day without a Mexican” protest. All the radio stations were talking about how they wish every day could be a “day without a Mexican” to end the freeway gridlock.

Quote:
I guess I should mention that Walmart is not the same commodity in Southern California that it is in most parts of the South or Midwest-- it's like shopping at the 99 cent store and is frequented by the very low class. Even in Walmarts in wealthier cities such as Foothill Ranch (68% White, 11% Hispanic), Huntington Beach (72% White, 14% Hispanic), and Laguna Niguel (77% White, 10% Hispanic) you'll still find a disproportionate amount of lower class and Hispanic shoppers. Had you visited a normal Albertson's or Vons, you probably wouldn't have encountered the same issues.

That’s because everywhere in CA there is nothing but disproportionate amounts of lower class and Hispanics.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:10 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,061 times
Quote:
Traffic has been horrible in Los Angeles since the 50's (yes, before the Mexicans), back when the train system was purposefully defunct and replaced by the transit network you see today. The traffic you encountered going to/coming from LAX was not caused by illegal immigration (nor "filled up by Mexican and Chinese immigrants") but by traffic common to the Southland. Even if you had visited on the days of the protests last year, you still would have been sitting in hours of traffic during RUSH HOUR.

I just find it strange that you support this kind of invasion of our homeland. You are wrong about L.A. being run done since the 50's. My mom left Arizona with 4 kids and a not so well running car and went to Long Beach in 1965 to start a new life.and this was the safest place to live. You couldn't get me to stop for the day there now. As children we ran the streets with no fears. Now you better be careful were you turn you might not make it out.
This is very troublesome and for people like you to justify the running down of our communities is applauding. If you care so much for these people how come your not out there trying to get them to treat our cities better. This is all most of us ask is to have respect and pick up your own garbage and take care of the cities that have given you a place to live and work.
We have seen communities change very dramatically since the invasion and it's where the Mexicans are populating causing the problems sorry to point blame but,some of these communities didn't look like this 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration