Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do illegal aliens have it better in this country than American citizens?
Yes, they are allowed to do everything they want without fear of consequences. Get benefits we don't get. 45 67.16%
No. Being in here illegally, they are always at risk of deportation or arrest. They live in poverty with a lower quality of life than Americans. 18 26.87%
I don't know. 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:20 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,410 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot about Americans being oppressed, and this kind of cartoonish portrayal of evildoing Illegal Aliens knowingly making life hard for Americans.

I see a lot of complaining about the privileges illegal aliens have that Americans do not, and I hear a lot about the difficulty for American citizens in this country.

Do many of you feel that Illegal Aliens have a better life in this country than Americans?

Do you personally feel illegal aliens have it better than you? It's pretty subjective, so discuss it from your point of view.

Try to avoid sarcastic remarks, attacks, or trolling.
Please just state your opinion, without attacking others'.

Last edited by antialphabet; 12-03-2008 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 05:21 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
I hear a lot about Americans being oppressed, and this kind of cartoonish portrayal of evildoing Illegal Aliens knowingly making life hard for Americans.

I see a lot of complaining about the privileges illegal aliens have that Americans do not, and I hear a lot about the difficulty for American citizens in this country.

Do many of you feel that Illegal Aliens have a better life in this country than Americans?

Try to avoid sarcastic remarks, attacks, or trolling.
Please just state your opinion, without attacking others'.
Not as good as citizens with the possible exception of 'free' health care.

That stated: it needs to be a living hell (in the legal sense) here for those insolent lawbreakers so they will self deport.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:29 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,120,981 times
One word. Taxes.

Must be nice not having 30% of your income stripped from every dollar you earn.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:37 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
One word. Taxes.

That's an advantage, maybe, but overall, do you think the average Illegal Alien has a better life in the U.S. than the average citizen because of being able to avoid income tax?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:56 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,660,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
One word. Taxes.

very true, but getting paid under the table is not a market cornered by illegals. i know plenty of [legal]people who hwore themselves as electricians and plumbers, under the table. and i am also aware that there are illegals with stolen ID's that dont get a chance to claim those taxes, so they get that 30% taken without being able to get any of it back (which is fine by me). it goes into a discretionary fund.

it sucks all around.

my youngest brother has to reply to the IRS every year because his identity was stolen and someone was working with his SSN. its been about 5 years now. it usually only adds about 6 to 8k to his salary. and its very easy proving its not him who worked those jobs. just sign a letter, notarize it, and voila. and they only used it to open accounts at furniture stores. they actually improved his credit. he checks his credit history regualrly, but everyone should anyways.

as for this question. i dont think many illegal aliens have a better life than the average US citizen. especially in this economy. some might, ive never met them tho.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
As far as sympathy, illegals can always get gangs of 1000 or more to rally for them not going to jail if they mess up when i wouldnt even get 20 if i was going to jail for acting a fool.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times
i think that illegals have better networking and know how to utilize more free social service programs, as well as the ability to be paid in cash and not have taxes taken out, so currently they do have it better than the average citizen. if they are bilingual they can get more jobs than the average american due to the big increase in the hispanic population sector. i think as our economy further tanks, the illegal issue might be self-resolving.(or we will see a huge upsurge in crime).

Old 12-03-2008, 09:17 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,420,740 times
In some cases yes, others no. As far as getting away with breaking laws, yes. They steal and forge SS#'s and ID's, they get caught but never charged.
The person who's ID is stolen is the one who pay's the consequences.
Same with Drunk Driving and driving without license or insurance.
This is just the tip of the iceburg.
Then we have the sympathizers who are not effected by Illegal Immigration so they realy don't know both sides of the story, and some would prefer not to hear the truth about both side so they can go on feeling sorry for the law breaking criminals.
Some don't know that I lost a son because of a drunk driving illegal, but they would still say that we have no legitimate reason to be upset at their being here,,,,,,,, illegally.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 12-03-2008 at 09:31 PM..

Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,633,906 times
I think a better question would be -- Do illegal immigrants have it better then legal immigrants?
I think that answer is a yes. Illegals do not have to have a background check, they do not have to be screened for communicable diseases, they don't have to prove that they are self supporting, and they do not have to pay fees. Furthermore, illegals can cross into the US at will, while legal immigrants wait years for their application to be accepted. Unlike legal immigrants, illegals have many organizations/lobbyists working on their behalf to make they have access to social services that would not normally be available to legal immigrants (excepting refugees). Then the cherry on top would be the knowledge that if they wait long enough, amnesty will solve the question of their immigration status.
Guess the law abiding people of the world are just plain suckers compared to the illegal aliens, huh?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:49 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,746,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
That's an advantage, maybe, but overall, do you think the average Illegal Alien has a better life in the U.S. than the average citizen because of being able to avoid income tax?
Well, let's see.

You have an American citizen making $10.00 per hour. He is only allowed 40 hours a week because his boss doesn't want to give him overtime pay. He pays income tax, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, perhaps personal insurance....if he's lucky, his weekly paycheck may top out at about $300. His wife works 40 hours a week also and if neither of them have degrees, their combined income per week is around $400 to $500 because her paycheck has to cover the daycare costs for their 2.2 children (about $100 per child per week). They are forced to rent because they can't save enough for a downpayment on a house, what with their vehicle costs, insurance, utilities, diapers, food, little Suzie's asthma medication, etc.

On the other hand, you have an illegal alien. Say he's working in construction and making $8.00 an hour cash money under the table. He works ten hours a day and five to six days a week and makes between $400 and $500 per week. He pays no taxes, yet if he gets so much as a head cold, he's in the local ER being treated for free, courtesy of the tax dollars of the same hard-working ****** described above. He's rooming with 4 or 5 of his buddies, they all pitch in about $200 per month for rent, maybe another $100 or so for utilities and he's sending a nice big chunk of change OUT of the U.S. economy every month to his HOME country. He's not worried about deportation because he knows enforcement is a big joke.

Who is better off?

It's not too difficult to figure out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration