U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 AM

21,144 posts, read 40,511,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Daniella had been living in the US illegally since she was 13 - and all the brains in the world wouldn't change that.

And if she wanted her scholarship, she would have to go back to Mexico alone, and apply for a student visa. So she did.

"And that's when they told me I couldn't receive the student visa because i have lived in the states without a student visa before. And that probably I was taking advantage of the country and the government." Daniella recalls.
KTVK 3 News article (http://www.azfamily.com/news/specialreports/immigration/stories/phoenix-immigration-news-120108-illegal-family.1fe3a9ac.html - broken link)

This deported woman could do a lot of good in her home country of Mexico admittedly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 08:43 AM

4,800 posts, read 8,446,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
KTVK 3 News article (http://www.azfamily.com/news/specialreports/immigration/stories/phoenix-immigration-news-120108-illegal-family.1fe3a9ac.html - broken link)

This deported woman could do a lot of good in her home country of Mexico admittedly.
I have a problem with this.

She was a child and had no control over the actions of her parents and should not be held accountable. She should be allowed to apply for a student visa without prejudice.

Last edited by Kele; 12-10-2008 at 09:01 AM..

Old 12-10-2008, 08:54 AM

26,359 posts, read 39,358,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

I have mixed feelings on this one. She has proved she has brains and potential most other illegals just dont have. I would say let her stay but if she was allowed to stay it may open the floodgate for more illegals. If i have to have an amnesty shoved down my throat i could live with it if it was a small number of people like this girl, like maybe 200k. But Washington DC is too lacking in common sense to keep the high-acheiving ones and kick out the losers.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 AM

21,144 posts, read 40,511,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I have mixed feelings on this one. She has proved she has brains and potential most other illegals just dont have. I would say let her stay but if she was allowed to stay it may open the floodgate for more illegals. If i have to have an amnesty shoved down my throat i could live with it if it was a small number of people like this girl, like maybe 200k. But Washington DC is too lacking in common sense to keep the high-acheiving ones and kick out the losers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I have a problem with this.

She was a child and had no control over the actions of her parents and should not be held accountable. She should be allowed to apply for a student visa without prejudice.
Points all well taken here.

Even I would be 'OK' with 300-500K illegals if our economy was good and assuming of course that said illegals essentially kept their collective nioses clean to begin with.

7-12 million illegals mit Anchor Babies is not acceptable.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 AM

46,996 posts, read 42,091,449 times
So we taxpayers were on the hook for at least 50k for this girl? Consider it a gift to the Mexican govt. She'll have a much better job than most there.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,356,216 times
maybe i did not read the article correctly, but i don't understand why she can't see her family? are they still here in the united states?

Old 12-10-2008, 06:53 PM

20,299 posts, read 21,394,635 times
My step daughter is also a star student. She has bever violated any us laws. Not one.... She is on a long waiting list to be accepted. Sorry I feel no sadness for this individual whose parents cheated the system.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:11 PM

7,025 posts, read 10,897,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
My step daughter is also a star student. She has bever violated any us laws. Not one.... She is on a long waiting list to be accepted. Sorry I feel no sadness for this individual whose parents cheated the system.
Your step daughter is representative of those who deserve the opportunity to come to the US. Those who cheat by entering the country illegally and partaking of the rights of citizens should consider themselves blessed to simply be deported as opposed to jailed first.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:43 AM

956 posts, read 2,899,415 times
How are they defining "star student"? I think that phrase is used far too often these days, often mendaciously in order to fit an agenda. For example, a star student in the LAUSD these days is somebody who knows their ABC's and times tables before beginning high school, and if you passed Algebra I the first time in high school, you're valedictorian.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:12 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,173,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
How are they defining "star student"? I think that phrase is used far too often these days, often mendaciously in order to fit an agenda. For example, a star student in the LAUSD these days is somebody who knows their ABC's and times tables before beginning high school, and if you passed Algebra I the first time in high school, you're valedictorian.
Anyone who works hard enough to maintain over a 4.0 gpa during the chaotic teenage years of high school is definitely on the ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration