Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:03 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,435,616 times

Advertisements

A small group of nurses and community members gathered outside Southern Hills Medical Center on Monday morning to protest the hospital's decision to discontinue labor and delivery services — a move they say will be particularly hard-felt in a community known for its high population of immigrants and patients who are uninsured or without prenatal care.

Saira Vanessa Cavarev, who works with the Hispanic community at a business that helps with taxes, translation and other issues, said she was surprised to hear that the hospital suspended its obstetrics services and is trying to spread the word among the immigrant community.

Obstetric unit's closing brings protest, outcry | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Oh well, they can always high tail it back across the border and give birth in their OWN COUNTRY AT THE EXPENSE OF THE OLIGARCHIES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 06:44 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,668,256 times
The nurses and healthcare activists hope that a new nearby Spanish-language billboard reading "Nosotros Merecemos" or "We Deserve" will raise awareness among residents to protest the hospital's decision and will force the facility to reopen the doors to its labor and delivery unit.

Tough situation, but to put up billboards in Spanish declaring 'We deserve'?! Sorry, illegal immigrants but you deserve nothing. After all, citizens and legal immigrants are also not getting obgyn care at that hospital anymore, either. And why? The hospital stated that its large obgyn practice left the hospital -- no doubt due to unpaid bills. This may come as a surprise to our monolingual illegal friends but doctors do expect to be paid, as do hospitals. And sometimes doctors and hospitals cannot make up for the free services given to illegals by making insured people pay more. I would imagine that this is the case here.

I would highly suggest to these nurses and community activists that instead of propagating an entitlement mentality amongst illegal immigrants, they should instead preach responsibility -- you know, like the rest of us have to show. If you cannot afford to pay to have a child then a condom can be your best friend. If the closest hospital no longer has obgyn services, and the other hospitals are either too far away or are less apt to let you skate without paying then perhaps Planned Parenthood and an RX for the pill may be a better option then complaining that your irresponsible behavior is no longer being rewarded or encouraged.

But then, what do I know? I just had only the amount of children I could support and I pay my damn bills.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The nurses and healthcare activists hope that a new nearby Spanish-language billboard reading "Nosotros Merecemos" or "We Deserve" will raise awareness among residents to protest the hospital's decision and will force the facility to reopen the doors to its labor and delivery unit.

Tough situation, but to put up billboards in Spanish declaring 'We deserve'?! Sorry, illegal immigrants but you deserve nothing. After all, citizens and legal immigrants are also not getting obgyn care at that hospital anymore, either. And why? The hospital stated that its large obgyn practice left the hospital -- no doubt due to unpaid bills. This may come as a surprise to our monolingual illegal friends but doctors do expect to be paid, as do hospitals. And sometimes doctors and hospitals cannot make up for the free services given to illegals by making insured people pay more. I would imagine that this is the case here.

I would highly suggest to these nurses and community activists that instead of propagating an entitlement mentality amongst illegal immigrants, they should instead preach responsibility -- you know, like the rest of us have to show. If you cannot afford to pay to have a child then a condom can be your best friend. If the closest hospital no longer has obgyn services, and the other hospitals are either too far away or are less apt to let you skate without paying then perhaps Planned Parenthood and an RX for the pill may be a better option then complaining that your irresponsible behavior is no longer being rewarded or encouraged.

But then, what do I know? I just had only the amount of children I could support and I pay my damn bills.
Bravo! Hammer meets nail. Well stated

Old 12-20-2008, 06:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,275,457 times
Did it close due to illegal abuses or is it like many accross the country?
Closed to high insurance rates due to scumbag lawyers?

Old 12-20-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Did it close due to illegal abuses or is it like many accross the country?
Closed to high insurance rates due to scumbag lawyers?
It sounds like the illegal alien birth rates are draining the obstetricians and the tax dollars dry.

Quote:
"Providing quality patient care is always our top priority," Thomas Ozburn, the hospital's chief executive officer, said in a statement issued Monday. "Southern Hills suspended obstetric services following the resignation of our largest group of obstetricians. The shift in this practice created significant challenges for us to ensure adequate physician coverage to maintain our high standards for quality obstetric care.
I can't say I blame them either. Who wants to work under those conditions? It's probably a wasteland to boot.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:58 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,228,246 times
Quote:

Very bad move------------that billboard in Spanish is slap in the face of Americans of any race/ethnicity who are struggling.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:01 PM

Mexicans are devout Catholics and as such shy away from birth control as per the church's beliefs. Many in this country as in others fall prey to whatever their church tells them. Low education plus a strong belief in a certain dogma???? What else can be expected?
I know before you say it. Why am I taking the other side? I am not. Just stating facts. As many of the freebie services dry up they will be more inclined to self deport.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:06 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,668,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Mexicans are devout Catholics and as such shy away from birth control as per the church's beliefs. Many in this country as in others fall prey to whatever their church tells them. Low education plus a strong belief in a certain dogma???? What else can be expected?
I know before you say it. Why am I taking the other side? I am not. Just stating facts. As many of the freebie services dry up they will be more inclined to self deport.
Yeah, well the church is also against premarital sex but that hasn't stopped the unwed pregnancies. And not just illegal or Hispanic groups, but of any devout catholic culture.
As a priest I once knew said...you can't be a cafeteria catholic and pick and choose among the dogma. By engaging in premarital sex, they lose all possibility of pulling 'The Pope said I can't use contraception' card.
But that is just the opinion of a lapsed catholic

Old 12-20-2008, 07:07 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,074,575 times
This is another area of illegal immigration that concerns me ... the emergency rooms closing and doctors such as the OB-Gyn closing shop. I know there are other factors that contribute such as sue happy litigation but it would be naive to think that illegal immigration is not contributing to this health crisis. We really need some serious reforms against the abuses of the uninsured illegals from getting non-life threatening services and not paying the bills. We are in no position to continue to subsidize this anymore.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah, well the church is also against premarital sex but that hasn't stopped the unwed pregnancies. And not just illegal or Hispanic groups, but of any devout catholic culture.
As a priest I once knew said...you can't be a cafeteria catholic and pick and choose among the dogma. By engaging in premarital sex, they lose all possibility of pulling 'The Pope said I can't use contraception' card.
But that is just the opinion of a lapsed catholic
LOL I hear you... I hear you... But premarital sex is just about a give in no matter the religion these days.
The part about catholics that kills me is they can go to confession and their sins are forgotten with a few hail mary's and couple our fathers. They have built in back doors. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration