Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:39 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,203,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Are you against living wages. Or should we just import tens of millions of desperate immigrants willing to work for slave wages. We can start with your job first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Very good post!! LOL..
No joke there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 10:44 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,296,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
In my area the illegals have been forcing legals out of the traditional trades like construction. Low balling wages etc. Friends have been forced out of business and have struggled as a result. In short the illegals are victimizing us through their sheer numbers and unfair labor practices.
Thanks for your reply to my question. That was what I was wondering, I know what the effects are here in Southern NM but not to sure about the east coast.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:48 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,296,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I live in Alexandria, VA and it feels like a 3rd world country. All of our city's middle schools lost accrediation because of the illegal alien influx from other counties cracking down on illegals. Our city is in budget trouble and taxes may go up. The thing that makes it unbearable is that every inner-beltway area in DC has welcomed illegals with open arms. That is what is really sad.

I'm moving to Kentucky either in 09 or 2010 and they are even beginning to leave their mark there. Shelby County has seen an influx of latino gangs (a bi-product of illegals) and the residents are frightened. A suit was filed against the city of Lexington to stop the services provided to illegals.

Trust me, they are going everywhere that is a decent place to live and leaving their mark.
I have been on the NOVA board and noticed they complain alot about the effects of the illegals. I know they say they really affect the schools. We actually considered moving there with dh's job but hopefully he has put that idea to rest. My inlaws are about 90 miles from Knoxville and there is a huge population there.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:49 AM

26,704 posts, read 41,848,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I have been on the NOVA board and noticed they complain alot about the effects of the illegals. I know they say they really affect the schools. We actually considered moving there with dh's job but hopefully he has put that idea to rest. My inlaws are about 90 miles from Knoxville and there is a huge population there.
Hopefully your husband put that idea out of its misery and shot it. The really sad part is the sky high cost of living and still having to put up with all the illegals. For what we pay for our 2 bed apt here in Alexandria, that could fetch a 4bed home in Louisville, a 3 bed TH back home in Southern VA, or a nice house down in Columbia, SC and all three places have very small populations of illegals.

The effects on the schools cant be overstated. I moved from one of VA's best school systems to Alexandria in 11th grade. Alexandria's school system is one of the most underacheiving in Virginia mainly because of the presence of illegals and the emphasis on ESL.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:42 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,203,955 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Hopefully your husband put that idea out of its misery and shot it. The really sad part is the sky high cost of living and still having to put up with all the illegals. For what we pay for our 2 bed apt here in Alexandria, that could fetch a 4bed home in Louisville, a 3 bed TH back home in Southern VA, or a nice house down in Columbia, SC and all three places have very small populations of illegals.

The effects on the schools cant be overstated. I moved from one of VA's best school systems to Alexandria in 11th grade. Alexandria's school system is one of the most underacheiving in Virginia mainly because of the presence of illegals and the emphasis on ESL.
I am a Wash DC native (left there 30 years ago) and 'Hispanics' were thin on the ground there back then. Remember that most of them were simply counted as 'White' with the exception of the obviously Black or Indian ones. With the exception of some of the Puerto Ricans (all US citizens); Latinos as a group made damn sure to watch their manners so no one bothered them.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:27 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,755,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
Let me get this straight, the government busted up an economically successful business operation in Postville, ruined that town's economy, destroyed thousands of lives, and yet you're not blaming the government but the workers... wow!

And in Nazi Germany, Jews broke the law by being Jews. Laws are passed by demagogue politicians, they hold no rational validity. Passing a law that proclaims that 2 + 2 equals 5 (if you're a Republican, 3 if you're a Democrat) doesn't make it so! Some pragmatic arguments for securing the border can be made, but we're talking about people with jobs here. Anyone who can find a job should be allowed to stay.
Try to do some research from current sources before you post your nonsense. Wiki may be dated and somewhat less the accurate. As others have stated the Employers at Agribusiness were willing to employ illegals who were willing to be employed in a unsafe environment for a below parr wage.......The worst part of the story is the impact on the local citizens and the community as a whole....

Old 12-27-2008, 10:50 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,264,158 times
Quote:
Great, another thread calling people who didn't kiss some bureaucrats' butts and pay them thousands of dollars "Illegals"...

What's next, "Untermensch"?
Who has to kiss a bureaucrats butt? My wife is a legal immigrant stood next to her through out the process. There has been no call for butt kissing. Just answer standard questions.
You are way out of line on this one.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,763,564 times
Quote:
A fair wage & benefits are determined by the natural laws of supply and demand, not dictated by Generalissimo el Kele. Slavery is when you're forced to do something against your will (like pay taxes or social security), while employment is a voluntary agreement between individuals. Why do you think migrant workers come here?

Even $2 an hour is better than $1 an hour or nothing at all. It gives people an opportunity to work their way up, and you're trying to take that away so that some lazy spoiled American could make more money that s\he doesn't competitively earn.

Please try to understand that wealth doesn't just fall from the sky because you want it to, it is CREATED through productivity. By using government force to give some workers more, you are taking away from others, and decreasing the productivity of the economy as a whole. Lower economic growth harms everyone, and it keeps poor people poor.
Quote:
Hunger in American households has risen by 43 percent over the last five years, according to an analysis of US Department of Agriculture (USDA) data released today. The analysis, completed by the Center on Hunger and Poverty at Brandeis University, shows that more than 7 million people have joined the ranks of the hungry since 1999.
Hunger in America rises by 43 percent over last five years | Science Blog (http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/hunger_in_america_rises_by_43_percent_over_last_fi ve_years_9186 - broken link)

Quote:
America's Second Harvest — The Nation’s Food Bank Network provides emergency food assistance to more than 25 million Americans—including nearly 9 million children (36.4 percent) and 3 million seniors (10 percent)—annually.
Hunger in America 2006 - Fact Sheet

Quote:
As traditional sources of donations dry up and demand rises amid a worsening recession, food banks and their volunteers are finding creative ways to make the best of a growing challenge, while the hungry try to make less food go further.
Washington Times - Hunger in America

By all means, let's give what available jobs there are to illegal scofflaws and lawbreakers while your fellow Americans starve. Why pay them enough to feed their children when you can undercut wages so severely, that it costs more to get to work than they can make in a day.

Way to create wealth while pumping those dollars into the AMERICAN economy.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:32 AM

62 posts, read 140,423 times
My home is in a resort town in So. California mtns. For the past five years the influx of illegals has contributed to a lowering of standards in the building trade. Greed centered builders have hired the illegals in place of hiring experienced carpenters and electrical contractors. The result is that the quality of the work product has declined. Most illegals do not have a legitimate drivers license and when their driving results in an accident, watch out! No insurance! Graffiti, crime and the proliferation of roadside trash has sky-rocketed with the only defense being ' it's their culture they can't help it. ' Look what's happened to their country of origin, high crime, murder and drugs. As long as Mexico is in a state of collapse they will not stop coming here. The downside is that they bring the exact same social mess that Mexico has. If the USA is to be saved from the same cultural mess that Mexico has the influx of illegals has to be stopped.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,935,039 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply to my question. That was what I was wondering, I know what the effects are here in Southern NM but not to sure about the east coast.
What part of southern NM do you live anyway? I have family in Las Cruces and Demong and some friends who happen to live in the El Paso area of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration