Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:42 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I suggest you have your spouse and daughter apply for citizenship. When I had my greencard, I had a fixed amount of time to apply for citizenship or lose the greencard. I think that the logic is that you either want to be here and be a citizen or not. It's painful to have to choose to reliquish your citizenship, but I think it makes sense. If you live here, your allegiance should be to the US.
If he's a mexican he doesn't have to relinquish his citizenship. They are allowed to maintain dual citizenship. Therefore, it's perfectly fine with mexico as long as they are allowed to reap the benefits and rewards that come courtesy of American citizenship, jobs and tax dollars. Despite being pimped and mistreated, they are brainwashed into delusional loyalty, to their race/ethnicity and mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
I suggest you have your spouse and daughter apply for citizenship. When I had my greencard, I had a fixed amount of time to apply for citizenship or lose the greencard. I think that the logic is that you either want to be here and be a citizen or not. It's painful to have to choose to reliquish your citizenship, but I think it makes sense. If you live here, your allegiance should be to the US.
My spouse is a citizen of the USA and Canada but her children are not. I want them to be but at $700 a pop, it has to be put in the budget.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:31 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
My spouse is a citizen of the USA and Canada but her children are not. I want them to be but at $700 a pop, it has to be put in the budget.
Wow! The INS sure has jacked that fee up by double! In 2001, it was already $300++. For my parents back in 1988, it was like $60!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Wow! The INS sure has jacked that fee up by double! In 2001, it was already $300++. For my parents back in 1988, it was like $60!
It is VERY expensive. My wife got hers when it was $500. And actually, because my one year in law school paid off, we are getting it cheap because we do not have to hire an immigration lawyer to file it like many folks do!

Old 01-03-2009, 01:38 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Am I the only one seeing a very big sense of entitlement here?

Old 01-06-2009, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,621 times
I'm sorry to disagree, but what I see happening in this state is that a segment of the population is being singled out for special treatment, equaling second-class status. Remember that we are talking in this instance about LEGAL residents, who have followed the rules. There is NO requirement that permanent resident aliens must become naturalized citizens. And, at $900 each, it's no small undertaking. Regardless, the last time I checked, the Consitution stipulates "equal protection under the law". When you single out a class of people, that is called discrimination. Worse, it is reminiscent of the Nuremberg Laws. If you think it doesn't matter, because it doesn't apply to you, just ask yourself, "could it be applied to me one day?" The answer, sadly, is yes. This is called the slippery slope. As soon as you decide that the law doesn't apply to this person for this reason, it becomes easier to do the same with other people. Watch out.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
It's a good thing that America's bank account is solvent and can bring in the masses. What's that you say? They are broke, uneducated and unable to contribute to society? Ok, all the better, we need many many more ................screech....

what do you mean we are a trillion dollars in debt? How did that happen? How are we to continue being Father Joe for the planet if we are broke?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessera View Post
I'm sorry to disagree, but what I see happening in this state is that a segment of the population is being singled out for special treatment, equaling second-class status. Remember that we are talking in this instance about LEGAL residents, who have followed the rules. There is NO requirement that permanent resident aliens must become naturalized citizens. And, at $900 each, it's no small undertaking. Regardless, the last time I checked, the Consitution stipulates "equal protection under the law". When you single out a class of people, that is called discrimination. Worse, it is reminiscent of the Nuremberg Laws. If you think it doesn't matter, because it doesn't apply to you, just ask yourself, "could it be applied to me one day?" The answer, sadly, is yes. This is called the slippery slope. As soon as you decide that the law doesn't apply to this person for this reason, it becomes easier to do the same with other people. Watch out.
Legal immigrants I welcome to my nation.

Illegal aliens need to go back home immediately.

As for the piece about Georgia; I smell a big, fat rat there.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Sorry, this sounds like a lot of whining and bashing. My mother was a legal immigrant who became a naturalized US citizen in the 1950s. I'm also a citizen of the US and the State of Georgia.

Your family is being allowed to live in our country and take advantage of our education system and are being given the privilege of driving on our roads. Sorry you feel too inconvenienced by having to spend a couple of hours a year renewing licenses and plates. Some of the rules, if your description of them is correct, are probably put in place to ensure compliance by aliens to our laws and to deliberately inconvenience those who do not comply. There is no reason why we cannot hold aliens to a separate standard from citizens. In fact, it's the prudent thing to do.

Your family is here as our guests until they become citizens...if the laws aren't to your liking, then Delta leaves from Hartsfield Airport for many Canadian destinations. You wife can always go back to Canada and enjoy their lax regulations and laws that you may find more convenient.
The vitriol in this post is breathtaking. What do you have against the Canadian race?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessera View Post
$900? For the going rate of some of these coyotes that sneak folks into the US $900 is a bargain.

I know the economy sucks, but $900 is a small price to pay to be a citizen of one of the best countries in the world to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration