Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:15 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,416,033 times

Advertisements

Outraged at his low pay and uncompensated overtime, an illegal alien in Boston filed a complaint with the Massachusetts attorney general's office against a supermarket – and won his case.

The illegal alien from Guatemala spoke to the Boston Globe anonymously because he feared deportation.

"I was just collecting what was rightfully owed to me," he said in Spanish. "They already pay us a miserable amount of money. Why do they have to rob us?"

The alien spent years at a Super 88 supermarket seafood counter earning $6 an hour instead of the state's $8 an hour minimum wage. He grew frustrated as the supermarket did not compensate him for his overtime work.

One day, he decided to gather his pay stubs into a plastic bag and deliver them to a lawyer – who turned them over to the state attorney general's office.

To his surprise, Super 88 was ordered to provide back pay and fines of $200,000 to more than 300 workers, the Globe reported.

"No government resources should be devoted to the rights of people who are here illegally," he said. "They broke the law by being here. They had no right to the job."

Illegal sues for higher pay – and wins!

One can only hope the idiot employer has learned his lesson. The illegal should have been promptly deported at his own expense. Wow . . .just wow . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
I'm speechless. I wonder if I steal a laptop from Best Buy, if I can sue them if a faulty battery causes a house fire.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I'm speechless. I wonder if I steal a laptop from Best Buy, if I can sue them if a faulty battery causes a house fire.
I am just utterly appalled.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:52 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,834,402 times
is this a joke....

Quote:
"I was just collecting what was rightfully owed to me," he said in Spanish. "They already pay us a miserable amount of money. Why do they have to rob us?"
i dont think ??? iforget that i know he was making that much in guatemala if anything so why would he complain? will he get deported?

a slap in the face to americans indeed

Old 01-08-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
is this a joke....

i dont think ??? iforget that i know he was making that much in guatemala if anything so why would he complain? will he get deported?

a slap in the face to americans indeed
He was "allowed" to remain in this country anonymously. Breath taking isn't it?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:52 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,130 times
Let me see if I understand this...everyone pretty much knows that illegals are hired because "Americans won't work for the wages, and under the conditions that illegals will accept". That much I get.

Now, apparently, it seems that "ILLEGALS won't work for those wages, or under those conditions, EITHER"....this is getting confusing. It could get SO INSANE that Americans MAY eventually be able to reclaim their former jobs, by underbidding the illegals to whom they were lost.

I THINK I get it......but it sounds bizarre.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,179,319 times
Super 88 was ordered to provide back pay and fines of $200,000 to more than 300 workers, the Globe reported.

Illegal aliens now make up 17 percent of Massachusetts' workers – twice the state's 1980 workforce. Authorities have expressed concern that employers sometimes exploit illegals because they believe aliens will not report them to state labor authorities.

According to the Globe, the attorney general's office never asks about a worker's citizenship status because officials claim their intention is to enforce state law – not federal immigration law.
I guess one part of the answer would be to rework the state law.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Let me see if I understand this...everyone pretty much knows that illegals are hired because "Americans won't work for the wages, and under the conditions that illegals will accept". That much I get.

Now, apparently, it seems that "ILLEGALS won't work for those wages, or under those conditions, EITHER"....this is getting confusing. It could get SO INSANE that Americans MAY eventually be able to reclaim their former jobs, by underbidding the illegals to whom they were lost.

I THINK I get it......but it sounds bizarre.
Bizarre indeed -- but highly plausible. I’ll have to pass your “bizarre” suggestion around. It might just catch on.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,179,319 times
If you look at it from a different angle, the Massachusetts ruling helps discourage employers from hiring illegal workers. If they have to pay illegals the same as anyone else, why hire them?

So actually, the ruling is on the anti-illegal-immigration side.

I think WND was just pushing the Hysteria button.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
If you look at it from a different angle, this sort of ruling will help discourage employers from hiring illegal workers. If they have to pay illegals the same as anyone else, why hire them?
Bingo! That is precisely the impetus behind illegal immigration, which is one reason an amnesty bill won't pass. Illegal aliens will no longer be the preferred workforce if they can no longer be exploited. They would simply be a legal citizen, entitled to a fair wage and benefits other legal citizens enjoy. Employers would also be required to pay taxes, worker's comp, and unemployment insurances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration