Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:08 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,548 times

Advertisements

Then why they make-a with the funny a-cartoons about us Italianos? mama mia!

As far as attitudes toward immigrants, some things change, some things stay the same.

And before the predictable "but they didn't come illegal!" talk, I'm not talking about illegals.

There is much talk about the Hispanic immigrants in general on this forum, not just the illegal.
Lots of people talking about the Hispanic immigrant being much worse than the previous immigrants as far as behavior and assimilation, etc. And also talk that immigrants of the past assimilated immediately, cut all ties to their country and became Americans a New York minute after stepping off the boat.

I wonder if there was a Minuteman Project, or a Save our State type group back then.

The pictures and their captions are hilariously similar to the attitudes spoken these days toward Mexicans/Central Americans.

By the way, didn't know how to make the image smaller. If a mod could help, it'd be great.

EDIT:

Same baggage as the Hispanics of today?(poverty, disease, anarchy)

Last edited by antialphabet; 01-12-2009 at 12:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 11:19 PM

197 posts, read 265,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post

Then why they make-a with the funny a-cartoons? mama mia!

As far as attitudes toward immigrants, some things change, some things stay the same.

And before the predictable "but they didn't come illegal!" talk, I'm not talking about illegals.

There is much talk about the Hispanic immigrants in general on this forum, not just the illegal.
Lots of people talking about the Hispanic immigrant being much worse than the previous immigrants as far as behavior and assimilation, etc. And also talk that immigrants of the past assimilated immediately, cut all ties to their country and became Americans a New York minute after stepping off the boat.

I wonder if there was a Minuteman Project, or a Save our State type group back then.

The pictures and their captions are hilariously similar to the attitudes spoken these days toward Mexicans/Central Americans.

By the way, didn't know how to make the image smaller. If a mod could help, it'd be great.

The myth has been debunked!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 11:28 PM

Don't all three of the top pictures remind you of the common complaints about Hispanic immigrants?

"A Nuisance to Pedestrians"
Day laborers standing on corners are a "nuisance" to motorists.

"Their sleeping apartments"

All the accounts of their "illegal" neighbors having 30 people in a 1 bedroom home.

"Afternoon's pleasant diversions"

The theory that Hispanic immigrants are violent, and it is cultural for them to kill each other.

It's too classic!

Old 01-11-2009, 11:37 PM

124 posts, read 529,521 times
Oh man! This is gonna get good! I can´t wait for some posters own lineage and heritage lessons, some other posters saying that you are trying to defend the indefensible and some others talking about Mexicans breeding, family values, lowriders, etc.

Btw... Funny cartoons. I wonder if back then Italians have a "Corsa" Asociation.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
why should they assimulate? what--- you mean become lazy and and develop a super attitude lose their work ethic and love of famiily like we have done??? worst thing that could happen if they were like us, i think you mean like we used to be. that makes sense. but 1st lets look at why we are not like we used to be.
its not them vs us, its us vs us.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-12-2009 at 01:02 AM..

Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
why should they assimulate? what--- you mean become lazy and and develop a super attitude lose their work ethic and love of famiily like we have done??? worst thing that could happen if ithey were like us, i think you mean like we used to be. that makes sense. but 1st lets look at why we are not like we used to be.
its not them vs us, its us vs us.

Who's us? Italians?
I'm not sure what you meant by them and us.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Who's us? Italians?
I'm not sure what you meant by them and us.
us = americans
them = illegals

Old 01-11-2009, 11:51 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Yes and I bet they had welfare/government assistance back then too?

Old 01-11-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
us = americans
them = illegals
Oh okay. I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic, lol.

You bring up an interesting question though.
But I was trying to steer this away from simply discussing illegals.
That allows certain members to avoid any discussion or debate by simply saying "illegal is illegal!" and shutting down any discussion.

A lot of the discussion on the forum isn't always about illegals(although the two inevitably merge), but about Hispanic immigrants themselves.
My point of this thread is that a lot of the criticisms of newly arriving Hispanics is a case of 'been there, done that'.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Yes and I bet they had welfare/government assistance back then too?
That's a whole different discussion, and I would appreciate it if it didn't get hijacked and turned into a discussion on that. There's several threads about that.

I'm trying to make this post about the views and criticisms of Hispanic immigrants themselves(not just illegals), and how similar they are to the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration