Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 02:31 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,288,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Obama's stance on the agreement shows his lack of understanding of Latin American issues, and of Mexico in particular, Lowery Contreras said. Several prominent Latino commentators have pointed out that Obama has never traveled to Mexico or Latin America.

"He is not a friend of Mexico. He's never even been to Tijuana," he said. "He knows nothing about them."

With all due respect to Mexico, I think it is much more important the Obama - the president of the United States - is a friend to the US over Mexico or Argentina or Russia or the UK. Really, it boggles my mind that people seem to think that the US president should show favoritism to a foreign country over our own simply because many of the largest minority group hailed from there at some point.
Ridiculous.
I don't really agree with the complaint about Obama by whatever Latino commentators(I don't know the context, just reading your post), but the importance of relations with Mexico doesn't have to do with the population that has roots there.
It has more to do with Mexico being our neighbor, as well as sharing many issues that neighboring countries usually do.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:01 PM

50,460 posts, read 47,177,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
I don't really agree with the complaint about Obama by whatever Latino commentators(I don't know the context, just reading your post), but the importance of relations with Mexico doesn't have to do with the population that has roots there.
It has more to do with Mexico being our neighbor, as well as sharing many issues that neighboring countries usually do.
It is starting to resemble Israel and Gaza.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It is starting to resemble Israel and Gaza.
Don't insult the people being murdered over there by comparing it to our immigration problem.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,166,134 times
Quote:
Don't insult the people being murdered over there by comparing it to our immigration problem.
Actually; more people are being murdered in Juaraz/Tijuana by other Mexican nationals than by the Israelis punishing Gaza.

Fire missiles into Israel and that nation finally said enough.

Now you understand why the drug cartels are keeping their crap in Mexico...........the repercussions would be ghastly for that nation if they started stuff here.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Actually; more people are being murdered in Juaraz/Tijuana by other Mexican nationals than by the Israelis punishing Gaza.

Fire missiles into Israel and that nation finally said enough.

Now you understand why the drug cartels are keeping their crap in Mexico...........the repercussions would be ghastly for that nation if they started stuff here.
You would be supportive of Israel murdering women and children in order to take out a couple of terrorists.

And what's your point supposed to be? More Americans are being killed by other Americans than Israelis are killing Palestinians too. And?

Old 01-17-2009, 03:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,166,134 times
Quote:
You would be supportive of Israel murdering women and children in order to take out a couple of terrorists.

And what's your point supposed to be? More Americans are being killed by other Americans than Israelis are killing Palestinians too. And?
Ask the Israeli families why their women and children were murdered by Hamas yet the former was not allowed to retaliate.

Face it: looking throughout history when dealing with Third World macho societies; they only thing they understand is force------pure and simple.

One reason that Japan finally surrendered in 1945 was that we were blowing their nation to smithereens in retaliation for them attacking Pearl Harbor 4 years prior. And; Japan was a quasi-modern society then.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:24 PM

117 posts, read 152,243 times
Quote:

Ever been in battle little goat? It aint always that easy. Lets get it straight. Hamas started a fight. They got a fight. They got their asses kicked up between their shoulders. The women and kids you weep for belong on the heads of hamas. They did this to their people.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:24 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,651,156 times
Quote:
Of course we need to have a good working relationship with Mexico. It only makes sense. However, Mexico shouldn't have undue influence over US policies due to our shared border or on how many people have immigrated to the US from Mexico (legally or not) over the years. Add to that people of Mexican descent who are American citizens that are fighting to give Mexcio special status in American politics. It is wrong, and I believe we need to be clear as a people and as a nation that our ultimate loyalty and responsibility lies soley within the US and to US citizens. And by US citizens I do mean citizens and legal immigrants. We will see if Obama is an American potus or allows himself to play second fiddle to Calderon.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:29 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,651,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherhead View Post
Ever been in battle little goat? It aint always that easy. Lets get it straight. Hamas started a fight. They got a fight. They got their asses kicked up between their shoulders. The women and kids you weep for belong on the heads of hamas. They did this to their people.
I agree with that. Hamas hides its weopons amongst women and children -- then cry foul when women and children are killed. Hamas are nothing but cowards, and the blood of their people stains their hands.

As far as Israel goes........I don't know, maybe if Mexico or Canada started to lob rockets into the US I do believe we would have massive airstrikes to retaliate. And, I believe we as Americans would universally applaud the action. I don't recall too many tears for Afganistan after all

Old 01-17-2009, 03:31 PM

117 posts, read 152,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Of course we need to have a good working relationship with Mexico. It only makes sense. However, Mexico shouldn't have undue influence over US policies due to our shared border or on how many people have immigrated to the US from Mexico (legally or not) over the years. Add to that people of Mexican descent who are American citizens that are fighting to give Mexcio special status in American politics. It is wrong, and I believe we need to be clear as a people and as a nation that our ultimate loyalty and responsibility lies soley within the US and to US citizens. And by US citizens I do mean citizens and legal immigrants. We will see if Obama is an American potus or allows himself to play second fiddle to Calderon.
Obama will bend as the wind blows. A man needs to have some spine to stand against the PC crowd. He will be just another give away president like the peanut farmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration