Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:47 AM

146 posts, read 572,338 times

Advertisements

McDonald's has a commercial airing in Houston pushing their "new pineapple empanada" --which used to be called a "fruit pie" just a few weeks ago. Adding a Spanish word to their product list isn't enough though, the pronunciation is heavily accented as well. eemm-ppee-nnhhhaaaa--dthaaa

Not to be outdone, Quaker Oats hawks their new Life cereal with a commercial beginning with the sing-song mantra of "chock-oh-lah-teh, chock--oh--lah-te". Not chocolate. Chock-co-laaaaahhhh-te.

Last, but certainly not least, is the new Raisin Brain commercial (in English!) that is barely understandable due to the thick Spanish accent of the speaker.

Why is this being tolerated? Have Americans been so brow-beaten by the liberal-multicultural-diversity-thought-police wackos that they're willing to let English be supplanted by Spanish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 08:04 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,102,314 times
I was always under the impression that empanadas were an Argentinian snack filled with ground beef and/or other savory fillings. If this is what mcdonalds is doing, they have bastardized the empanada and don't know what the hell they are doing (what a surprise), if I want an empanada, I'll get one from someone who knows how to make them. That being said empanadas are quite tasty, they make a good lunch.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:28 AM

243 posts, read 888,200 times
Talking English

Yes, the civil liberties union has us tied up. These days everything is in English and Spanish. I know I live in Albuquerque. The ATM's English or Spanish? All major company's such as the electric company, English or Spanish? It goes on and on, television there are at least 4 channels in Spainsh on plain old tv. When I visit Germany, no one caters to me!!! They all speak German and that's the way it is. This is good as it helps me learn. My husband came here in '61 and learned the language in six months because he had to communicate. A friend came from France and learned the language in six months also, because she had to communicate. So why do the spanish people want us to use their language? They came here, they need to speak English, plain and simple!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 09:04 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,102,314 times
Up until recently, ATMs offered English, Spanish and Polish in my neighborhood. Now that Chase has taken over, I have my choice of about 8 languages to complete my transaction in. I received my voting instructions in English, Spanish, and Mandarin Chinese. I fail to see what the the problem is.

Oh, and when I visited Germany in 2003, I saw things in a myriad of languages, and while I know a bit of German, I never had a problem getting assistance in English. It is a multi-lingual world, I for one think that is a good thing.

Oh, and on my television there are a few Spanish channels, but there is also programming in Korean, Polish, and Chinese (and an Indian Channel, but as to be expected, that is in English). I find the mix of cultures and languages fascinating and enjoy it.

Now, I work with probably 10 people who speak Spanish as their first language, but every single one of them speaks English at work and after work if they are hanging out with people who do not speak Spanish (yes, I've gone out to dinner and had drinks with my coworkers as I enjoy their company, I don't care what language they talk to their mother in), they just simply know two languages.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:28 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,191,589 times
Default What's Happening To America

I really don't understand why we have to have any other language besides English. America is known for it's English language and we need to keep it this way. Unfortunately our own citizens don't see this as a decaying of AMERICA to have every other language. They just see it at "How diverse we can be and isn't that interesting that we all speak different languages".

I don't care how many languages you can speak good for you but, when in public I would like to understand those I'm speaking too and those speaking to me.
It's one thing to be a visitor in a country and not speak the language but, it's another to MOVE and not speak the language. As far as everything thing from billboards to a bag of potato chips written in Spanish I feel we are turning Latin AMERICA!!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 09:38 AM

68,351 posts, read 54,507,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
Why is this being tolerated? Have Americans been so brow-beaten by the liberal-multicultural-diversity-thought-police wackos that they're willing to let English be supplanted by Spanish?

Do you really think a silly little thing like language is going to keep any corporation from $$$$$?

They all know if they don't cater to ethnic groups there is another company that will. Capitalism doesn't have an official language.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,426,691 times
Quote:
Who cares ? Its only the name of a product / advertising campaign. At the end of the day if the American public dont get it, or the new campaign dosent appeal to them, the product will fail and hit the companies where it hurts, in the wallet.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:45 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,281,050 times
Interesting to read about, English Teacher. We don't get ads like that here in the north woods. The only one I've seen is the hair coloring ad rendered with a heavy spanish accent. I didn't care for it. Anything that reaches the general public's ears should be able to be understandable.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:02 PM

22,945 posts, read 28,339,187 times
Quote:
If trends continue, the U.S. will be a predominantly Spanish-speaking country within the next 100-150 years. For you folks in Texas, it'll probably be a lot closer to 30.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:31 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,645,057 times
Quote:
McDonald's has a commercial airing in Houston pushing their "new pineapple empanada" --which used to be called a "fruit pie" just a few weeks ago. Adding a Spanish word to their product list isn't enough though, the pronunciation is heavily accented as well. eemm-ppee-nnhhhaaaa--dthaaa

Not to be outdone, Quaker Oats hawks their new Life cereal with a commercial beginning with the sing-song mantra of "chock-oh-lah-teh, chock--oh--lah-te". Not chocolate. Chock-co-laaaaahhhh-te.

Last, but certainly not least, is the new Raisin Brain commercial (in English!) that is barely understandable due to the thick Spanish accent of the speaker.

Funny how Americans used to make fun of the French, and, more recently, to an even greater degree, and much closer to the US, the Quebecois for their "language paranoia". Now we seem to have picked up one of the worst cultural traits shared by France and Quebec. Don't worry, the English language is not going to disappear. It's not going to go the way of Basque or Yiddish.

This is not a comment on illegal immigration per se but a comment on how the very real illegal immigration crisis has caused a sizeable number of Americans to adapt completely insane positions of the sort that Americans
used to rightfully reject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration