Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,870 times

Advertisements

= a proper North American union, much like the European Union.

At the end of the day, if Mexico prospers, few Mexicans are going to want to jump the border.

We can work with the Mexican government on cracking down on crime / drug cartels. The Mexican president is a brain, like him or not and I believe he'd work with us on this issue.

Or we can continue to bury our heads in the sand, while complaining about "illegals" 24/7?

The fact is that we can help Mexico & Mexico can help us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 09:43 AM

608 posts, read 1,004,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
= a proper North American union, much like the European Union.

At the end of the day, if Mexico prospers, few Mexicans are going to want to jump the border.

We can work with the Mexican government on cracking down on crime / drug cartels. The Mexican president is a brain, like him or not and I believe he'd work with us on this issue.

Or we can continue to bury our heads in the sand, while complaining about "illegals" 24/7?

The fact is that we can help Mexico & Mexico can help us.
I believe they have already started testing the waters with NAFTA and a relaxed response to illegal immigration over the last few decades.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:08 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,670,118 times
IMO you might be able to get Americans to do those "Mexican " jobs if there was nationalized health care, I know plenty of people who would pick citrus and vegies if they had health care

Old 02-28-2009, 01:52 PM

32 posts, read 48,006 times
Do you have any idea of the economic parity of the nations of the EU compared to the economic disparity between Mexico and the US? Are you willing to work for Mexican wages?

Old 02-28-2009, 02:29 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Unless you have a white collar job you better fear anything that opens a door to Mexican labor. We've already seen what happens when you have Union jobs and illegal labor side by side.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
we are helping mexico, big time, 2nd largest source of income for mexico, us.
illegal immigration is not a problem its a solution to low cost labor shortage.
under the table NAFTA for last 30 years. problem now is mexico is rampant with crime
we are the overflow. gangbangers looking for a better life are now the norm.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:04 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Using Spain as a proxy for Mexico: that nation had to get its own socio-economic house in order first then it was handed the keys to the candy store (Schengen Agreement, use of the Euro, etc).

Translation: Mexico has to earn respect----------------not demand it.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:57 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,870 times
If Mexicans had a standard of living even close to ours, they wouldn't jump the border. I know it's not our problem to help Mexico, but it'd save us a damn heck load of trouble if we did. Mexico's president is a very smart man and I'm sure he'd work with us, if we established some preconditions. There's no reason that Mexico should be a bad place to live...I mean, look at the example of Chile...a successful, truly first world Latin American nation. Mexico can definitely follow suit, especially if we give them our guidance and support.

I'd love to see Mexico as successful as the USA....Canada, the USA & Mexico...what a great combo!

Old 02-28-2009, 04:12 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Until things change in Mexico where a small percentage have all the wealth it isn't going to happen. That is how civil wars start.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:22 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
If Mexicans had a standard of living even close to ours, they wouldn't jump the border. I know it's not our problem to help Mexico, but it'd save us a damn heck load of trouble if we did. Mexico's president is a very smart man and I'm sure he'd work with us, if we established some preconditions. There's no reason that Mexico should be a bad place to live...I mean, look at the example of Chile...a successful, truly first world Latin American nation. Mexico can definitely follow suit, especially if we give them our guidance and support.

I'd love to see Mexico as successful as the USA....Canada, the USA & Mexico...what a great combo!
I think you are right! It's not our problem. You think
we should dismantle the border crossings?? Would save us a lot of trouble, right ? Fidel Castro is a pretty smart guy. People in Cuba love him. Im not trying to rain on your parade, I just can't follow your logic. I think they don't want our guidance just our $$$$$$ support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration