Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:47 PM

273 posts, read 247,432 times

Advertisements

I love Arbys as much as the next guy, but this week I got a flyer with their coupons which gave equal space and print in hispanic.
I would expect this if 50% of their customers were non-english speaking latinos. We all know this isn't the case and they are blatantly pandering to hispanics.

I have a problem with any business which enables the behavior of hispanics who are too uneducated, arrogant or contemptuous of the US that they expect our society to change just for them.

When I see a business doing this, I stop giving them my patronage and urge other Americans to do the same. I also tell the management in person, and in writing. They pretend not to care, but when they lose their American customers they'll quickly change their policies to chomp at their almighty dollar.

Other examples I've seen are grocery stores, Walmarts, and auto parts stores. Please list others you know of here.

Keep America a place where Legal Immigrants strive to achieve their dreams and call home.

My father is a legal hispanic immigrant...please save racist comments for the far left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 01:18 PM

273 posts, read 247,432 times
I post, then edit.

"Speaking hispanic" is my way of referring to people who live permanently in the US (ie: obviously not here on vacation) and show absolutely no aspiration to become American citizens.

I can speak fluently both dialects, Castillion and Latin American, but refuse to facilitate anyone who expects a US citizen understand them.

So they "speak hispanic"...a language I DON'T SPEAK!

....HEY, Tuna fish sounds really good! Thanks.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:25 PM

520 posts, read 1,849,492 times
A better reason to boycott Arby's is that their food sucks. Who cares if they have Spanish on their ads... you are still free to read the English portion.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:54 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,929,993 times
Lets remember that Fast food franchises require a Social Security number. If it is stolen, according to the restaurant, they are legal citizens so we have no way of proving if they are illegal or not. The OP's point is moot.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:17 PM

16,233 posts, read 27,268,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Lets remember that Fast food franchises require a Social Security number. If it is stolen, according to the restaurant, they are legal citizens so we have no way of proving if they are illegal or not. The OP's point is moot.
The OPs point had nothing to do with Arby's employees being illegal, he was talking about their use of Spanish in an advertisement flyer - there you go again steering the subject off topic.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:17 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,112,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
I love Arbys as much as the next guy, but this week I got a flyer with their coupons which gave equal space and print in hispanic.
Print in "hispanic"?

I have never heard of such a language

Old 12-04-2007, 10:00 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,537,902 times
Quote:
I would expect this if 50% of their customers were non-english speaking latinos. We all know this isn't the case and they are blatantly pandering to hispanics.

I have a problem with any business which enables the behavior of hispanics who are too uneducated, arrogant or contemptuous of the US that they expect our society to change just for them.

When I see a business doing this, I stop giving them my patronage and urge other Americans to do the same. I also tell the management in person, and in writing. They pretend not to care, but when they lose their American customers they'll quickly change their policies to chomp at their almighty dollar.

Other examples I've seen are grocery stores, Walmarts, and auto parts stores. Please list others you know of here.

Keep America a place where Legal Immigrants strive to achieve their dreams and call home.

My father is a legal hispanic immigrant...please save racist comments for the far left.
Back to your original post, Pablo-Me!

Have you visited a Bank of America Branch lately? They definitely "pander" to the illegal business in this area.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:15 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,916,964 times
Quote:

thank you. i'd like to add Pillsbury Corp to your list. They print their discount coupons in english & spanish. Like you, i am an american of hispanic (mexican) descent and i hate how these companies bend over backwards to cater to the newcomers. the more i thought about it, the more insulted i became. could it be that companies like pillsbury think that hispanics are too dumb to learn english like everyone else?
here is the response that i rec'd fr pillsbury:

Thank you for contacting Pillsbury with your comment about Spanish and/or bilingual discount coupons. We are sorry you were offended.

These coupons are part of our effort to reach the growing number of people of Hispanic origin in the United States . According to recent census figures, over 42 million Hispanics reside in the U.S. , and of those, 73 percent rely on Spanish as their primary language. These people select their food from the same shelves as the general population, but their understanding of these products is limited. We wish to offer them and their families an equal opportunity to enjoy our quality products.

Our efforts to reach the Hispanic residents are in no way intended to be un-American. A proud American company, General Mills employs over 80,000 people in the United States . In a country where the ethnic composition is changing rapidly, the livelihood of our employees is increasingly dependent on consumption of our products by people of all races, creeds and ethnic origins. Thus, we have initiated attempts to reach Spanish-speaking customers.

We appreciate your bringing this matter to our attention and will carefully review the information you provided with our promotion and advertising staff. We value every one of our customers and we would like to continue to include you among them in the use and enjoyment of our products.

Sincerely,

73% of hispanics use spanish as their primary language? they've got to be kidding. sin verguenza

Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,508,076 times
Good luck calling for any boycots. No one cares. Before 7-11 dropped Hugos Citco gas I used to cringe every time I drove by one and people were actually contributing to terrorist attacks against the USA, oops I mean buying gas.

And back east with those WAWA stores. The fake Rev. Moon who married 3000 people who never even met before in one night owned those stores yet no one had any trouble supporting him and his phony crusade.

And what about Walmart? Well that is a whole nother post.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,689,468 times
I just removed 23 posts.
A quick pointer:
On topic - good.
Off topic- bad.
Please.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration