U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:36 PM

21,146 posts, read 39,752,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
In all fairness: Hispanic themed chain stores have a poor reputation for longevity here in the USA-------apparently, as (at least legal) Latinos assimilate, they tend to start patronizing English speaking outfits.

Tianguis (sp) was such a grocery store chain in the Los Angeles area and it fell flat on its face for the above reason.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-16-2009, 02:42 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,892,603 times
I don't believe for one minute that there is a large enough LEGAL non-English speaking Hispanic population in the U.S. that would warrant a move like this from Wal-mart. It's primarily the illegal aliens they're pandering to.

It's precisely this kind of pandering to illegal immigrants that lures them here.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:58 PM

12,171 posts, read 16,688,163 times
Funny how Bashas in AZ is closing many of their Food City stores they target the spanish market. Now Wal-mart is going to attempt the same type of store.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:10 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,552,139 times
Wal-mart is always trying to make a buck, that's why they are the biggest retailer in the nation. I personally would not shop in that particular store, catered to Hispanics. But, if you are an American against this new form of business model, then don't shop in there.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:42 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,523,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
The store might attract a lot of illegals (both employees and customers). If it does open, ICE should setup up sting operations.
My thoughts exactly, at first. However, ICE would have to do the stings without Walmart knowing it, because Walmart would never approve. Walmart, after all, is only interested in dollars and doesn't really care where those dollars come from.

My thoughts are that 'anglos' are tired of shopping at any Walmart that is obviously overrun with apparent illegals. So the greedy Walmart has decided to open a few stores in areas heavily infested with illegals that only illegals and legal hispanics will shop at. 'Anglos' won't shop at these stores but it is quite obvious that legal hispanics don't mind at all illegals living and shopping amongst them. These stores will pull a lot of illegals away from Walmart's other stores so they won't be so overrun with illegals, making 'anglos' happier. Oh kumbaya.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:25 PM

21,146 posts, read 39,752,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Funny how Bashas in AZ is closing many of their Food City stores they target the spanish market. Now Wal-mart is going to attempt the same type of store.
And many of the newer Food City ads here are targeting English speakers at the apparent expense of the Spanish language market.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:38 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,974,777 times
Odd that this is even necessary -- after all, Spanish speakers do learn English, or at least that is what I am continually told

Old 03-16-2009, 04:38 PM

8,975 posts, read 15,736,687 times
Wal Mart is a private business. If it wants to put money into this, I see nothing 'wrong' here...as long as it's Wal-Mart's money.

Wal-Mart's "catering" to a segment of the population unwilling, or unmotivated, to learn to do business in English, in MY opinion, is no different from Jenny Craig "catering" to people unwilling to control their food intake....or a gardening service "catering" to those unwilling to cut their own grass...or a caterer "catering" to a host unwilling to prepare food for 300 wedding guests. If the market is out there, let them 'cater'....as long as it's not done at the expense of the taxpayer.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:59 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,523,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Wal Mart is a private business. If it wants to put money into this, I see nothing 'wrong' here...as long as it's Wal-Mart's money.

Wal-Mart's "catering" to a segment of the population unwilling, or unmotivated, to learn to do business in English, in MY opinion, is no different from Jenny Craig "catering" to people unwilling to control their food intake....or a gardening service "catering" to those unwilling to cut their own grass...or a caterer "catering" to a host unwilling to prepare food for 300 wedding guests. If the market is out there, let them 'cater'....as long as it's not done at the expense of the taxpayer.
If Walmart is indeed catering to illegals it effects taxpayers to the extent that it helps enable illegals to stay in this country and prolong the taxpayer's subsidy of the illegal's continued abuse of overcrowding ERs and bankrupting hospitals, overcrowding and ruining public schools, undercutting wages and displacing American workers, incarceration of criminal illegals, etc., etc., etc.

I guess you don't see it that way?

Old 03-16-2009, 06:08 PM

5,768 posts, read 11,026,904 times
Quote:
I guess you don't see it that way?
Let the market decide. If it doesn't make money, it'll fold. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.