Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:42 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,037,394 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Annie. Yes, it's crazy. I struggled to work as long as I could and it really hurt to see people have all of their care paid for them by the government while I had to pay insurance premiums, deductibles, co-pays, etc. Now that I can't work and have to wait YEARS for Medicare coverage, it really burns me up.

You know what's super ironic? I have friends who can't afford medical and dental care here so they cross the Border to get treated in Mexico!!! Lots of people go there for their prescriptions, too. What does it say about the problem when Mexicans are getting free medical care and prescriptions here but Americans have to go to Mexico and pay cash for cheaper services?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 08:24 AM

537 posts, read 442,642 times
Yes, it is up to the government to stop the illegals but I am sick of people taking away any of the responsibility from the illegals. No matter what, if they had higher morals and were really law abiding people then they would not be so quick to break laws to get here and keep breaking any and every law to stay here and then of course whine all about how they are treated. They are criminals and there is no getting around the fact. I am also sick of the people that say that there are bad illegals and good illegals. There is NOT!!!! They are all criminals and they have all showed they think nothing of breaking laws to get what they want and they pass these same traits on down to their children and on and on and on, etc. This is what is populating the countryside people.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:38 AM

547 posts, read 1,186,847 times
Not only are our laws being broken, but our services are being drained, our hospitals are closing, our schools are overcrowded and our teachers are struggling to teach children who sometimes speak no English when they start school. Citizens are being denied jobs because they aren't bi-lingual.

Calling people who are against illegal immigration racist is just a scare tactic. An attempt to get people to back off and just be quiet. We should all be concerned about the future of our children and grandchildren. This issue should never be thought of as a race issue, it has nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with our inability to continue to support a never ending flood of people; many of whom don't appear to care what they are doing to our country and its legal citizens.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:36 AM

799 posts, read 2,171,777 times
I've heard it's very hard for teachers to get a job in CA, TX, AZ, or NM if they don't speak Spanish.
The racist thing is a scare tactic for sure. Mexicans aren't even a race.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
I've heard it's very hard for teachers to get a job in CA, TX, AZ, or NM if they don't speak Spanish.
The racist thing is a scare tactic for sure. Mexicans aren't even a race.
That is true. It's hard to get many jobs without speaking Spanish.
Ah, but they ARE a race, they are part of the white race. But I know what you meant. That won't stop some people from making the racist claim whenever it suits them.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
You know what's super ironic? I have friends who can't afford medical and dental care here so they cross the Border to get treated in Mexico!!! Lots of people go there for their prescriptions, too. What does it say about the problem when Mexicans are getting free medical care and prescriptions here but Americans have to go to Mexico and pay cash for cheaper services?!
It says, thanks to our lobbyists and the politicians they own, we as legal citizens get the shaft but we open our wallets and empty our pockets for anyone who can make it over the border.

My heart goes out to you teatime. I pray for improved health for you and sensibility for our politicians.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,295,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
That is true. It's hard to get many jobs without speaking Spanish.
Ah, but they ARE a race, they are part of the white race. But I know what you meant. That won't stop some people from making the racist claim whenever it suits them.
Mexicans aren't "part of the white race." Most of them are mixed-race. But it doesn't matter what race they are, or where they come from. The problem is overpopulation and the draining of American resources.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Mexicans aren't "part of the white race." Most of them are mixed-race.
Uh...O.K. I certainly didn't mean to step on any toes, I was merely referring to how they are categorized in official census records, job applications and other documents (legal and otherwise). I realize the question of hispanic race has been debated and changed multiple times throughout our history.

Quote:
But it doesn't matter what race they are, or where they come from. The problem is overpopulation and the draining of American resources.
Exactly, it is NOT a race issue. My point exactly! If you read my earlier posts you will see we are on the same page.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:17 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,037,394 times
No, you're right, Annie. There are only 3 races -- white, black and Asian. They're considered white unless they have some Afro-Caribbean or Asian ancestry, then they'd be mixed race. If they have Spanish ancestry or indigenous native ancestry they're still considered white.

I live in Texas and it's true that it's tough to find a job if you're not fluent in Spanish. Sheesh, I taught 11th and 12th Grade English Language Arts where students are NOT permitted to use any other language and I had difficulty finding my first teaching job in a public school. Meanwhile, my son had teachers in school who couldn't speak or write grammatically correct English! I started sending back the letters they sent home -- corrected.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:08 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,295,133 times
My point was that Mexicans, by and large, do not consider themselves to be "white"--regardless of any legal or governmental determination--because, by and large, they are not Caucasian. I grew up in Texas, and had many Mexican-American friends, and this was made clear to me on many occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration