U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:08 PM

7,020 posts, read 10,394,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I did not ask for their papers but assume it is half and half. If someone has weak English skills and are struggling to understand American culture, they are going to face a tougher job hunt than most native born and are more likely to face higher unemployment numbers.
It's going to be even tougher if they're here illegally. As a matter of fact, that sounds like the real problem here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 07:18 PM

3,638 posts, read 4,533,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
WASHINGTON -- A new report finds immigrant unemployment (legal and illegal) was higher in the first quarter of 2009 than at any time since 1994, when immigrants were first separated out in the monthly data. This represents a change from the recent past when native-born Americans tended to have higher unemployment rates. The findings show that immigrants have been harder hit by the recession than natives. Although data on immigrants is collected, it is generally not published by the government. This report is one of the few to examine this data.

The report, entitled, 'Trends in Immigrant and Native Employment,' is embargoed until Wednesday midnight, for publication on Thursday, April, 30. Advance copies are available to the media. The study will be available online at: www.cis.org.

Immigrant Unemployment At Record High

Well gee, since they are no longer "doing the jobs Americans won't do", why prey tell aren't they being weened from the tax payers' teet, and being rounded up and deported?
Good question. Hell, we all know they are here to vote for Dems and to steal even more of our resources and government freebies that they have no right to.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:06 PM

39,766 posts, read 35,547,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
It's going to be even tougher if they're here illegally. As a matter of fact, that sounds like the real problem here.
U mean aiding? Is that a crime? OH @#$ it is.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:30 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,475,852 times
Well, the millions of unemployed illegal Mexicans aren't going to self deport, for the time being anyway, because our naive, inexperienced, inept and unbelievably arrogant new Prez has promised to push for amnesty in 2009. Amnesty will ruin the US and it won't even stop illegal immigration. However, adding the new Democratic voter bloc of amnestied illegals will ensure a Democratic majority for many years to come. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 PM

10,044 posts, read 12,107,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
We's goin havta learn ha ta do it all by are lonesomes. I know I know. Maybe president Obama will call for a stimulus package to get the illegals to stay???
Obama will quietly arrange something to entice them to stay. And once again, he will have the illegal vote.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 PM

21,035 posts, read 20,299,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I work with immigrants to help them gain employment. Many are scared to death about getting a job in America and are very insecure about working with their weak English skills and adjusting to American work culture. I see so many of them struggling with their English skills (which I can understand and appreciate) but still applying for jobs that require good English speaking and writing skills. The result is they have a harder time getting hired in comparison to the white native born Americans they are competing against.
Maybe where you are that's true but here in Minnesnowjob they don't have to speak any English to get hired over native English speaking Americans....AND lots and lots of them have NO intention of adjusting to American culture of any kind.

I WISH it was like where you are...they SHOULD have harder time!
I have worked for 45 years and every job application asked me if I spoke English...and it was required...for me.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 PM

21,035 posts, read 20,299,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How do you know they are legal to work then? How do you know they have or don't have real SS#s? Are they getting paid under the table? Are they paying taxes?
GREAT QUESTION!!!!

WHY help them if they're illegal !?!? Call the authorities!!!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 PM

39,766 posts, read 35,547,145 times
It's called being part of the problem when they help get them hired.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:23 AM

5,272 posts, read 8,397,307 times
Seems like they might do better back over in Mexico these days. We've shipped half of our factories over there, after all. Hershey's Chocolate might be hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or