Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support amnesty for illegal aliens?
Yes, let's roll out the red carpet 18 16.82%
No, get them back to Mexico ASAP! 89 83.18%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:04 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Well, deport them all

It is going to be very costly to deport over 20 million people back to their homelands. Undocumented people could be from anywhere in the world (Mexico, Europe, Asia, Middle East, other countries in the Americas, etc). The undocumented population is similar to the total population of Australia (21 million people). It is going to be extremely costly for us to do such thing, and the productivity hours lost (over 20 million laborers) will contribute to the worsening of our economy.

I looking at this issue from an economic point of view

In my opinion, we should find a way to make them pay taxes; an Amnesty is the most logical option (economical and viable). If you have an idea feel free to share it.

Well, deportation is an option.. but as I wrote before... is it $$ viable?
Apparently you haven't heard of the most economical solution of getting rid of unwanted illegals, which is attrition through enforcement of existing immigration laws. Passing tough on illegals/tough on the scumbag employers of illegals law making it very difficult for illegals to live and work in the US, resulting in massive self deportations, is obviously the most economically feasible way to get rid of unwanted illegals. Cost to taxpayers, ZERO. As far as your amnesty, the Heritage Foundation did a study which projects the ultimate cost to American taxpayers for an amnesty for 10 million unwanted illegals at 2.6 TRILLION!!!!!. For the more realistic number of illegals here of 20 plus million, the ultimate cost of amnesty would be 5.2 TRILLION!!!!!!!!!. You could deport 20 plus million unwanted illegal aliens and all of the IA enablers for less than 5.2 trillion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Corinthians127 View Post
Hmm, why do you associate "Illegal Alien" with only Mexicans? Illegal immigrants are coming from many countries, even European countries. So many of the ones who are against illegal immigration only mention Mexicans which leads people to believe that they are racists. Which it sure does seem like they are.

Sure most of the current illegal immigration is from Mexico but I don't see you guys protesting at European embassies saying "Germans go home! British go home! French go home! Etc. Etc.," I don't see the same people who are against illegal immigration complaining about the Canadian border. Thankfully this is just an example of where the minority (racist anti immigration) are being so vocal they are drowning the voices of those that support anti-illegal immigration and those that support open borders out.

If someone is against illegal immigration they should not only be complaining about the Mexican-U.S. border they should also be complaining about the Canadian border. They should be in front of foreign embassies peacfully protesting. I do believe most are worried about whites becoming a minority in the United States. Unfortunately, this will make racists be more vocal as you can see with the kkk and other hate groups growing in numbers.
The cold reality is that most illegals originate from Mexico/Central America, not Europe/Asia/Africa or even Canada hence the efforts to shut off the flow from SoB.

The above stated: I have no issue with legal immigrants from Mexico, etc.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:13 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Hmm, why do you associate "Illegal Alien" with only Mexicans? Illegal immigrants are coming from many countries, even European countries. So many of the ones who are against illegal immigration only mention Mexicans which leads people to believe that they are racists. Which it sure does seem like they are.

Sure most of the current illegal immigration is from Mexico but I don't see you guys protesting at European embassies saying "Germans go home! British go home! French go home! Etc. Etc.," I don't see the same people who are against illegal immigration complaining about the Canadian border. Thankfully this is just an example of where the minority (racist anti immigration) are being so vocal they are drowning the voices of those that support anti-illegal immigration and those that support open borders out.

If someone is against illegal immigration they should not only be complaining about the Mexican-U.S. border they should also be complaining about the Canadian border. They should be in front of foreign embassies peacfully protesting. I do believe most are worried about whites becoming a minority in the United States. Unfortunately, this will make racists be more vocal as you can see with the kkk and other hate groups growing in numbers.
For someone with NO knowledge of the posters on this forum, you have certainly made quite a few assumptions. Mexican is not a race; just as American is not a race – it’s a nationality. We focus primarily on Mexicans due to their majority status among illegal aliens. We also focus on them because they are the ones marching in our streets waving their country’s flag, while demanding legalization. If they don’t want the oil, they should stop squeaking.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:25 PM

142 posts, read 221,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The cold reality is that most illegals originate from Mexico/Central America, not Europe/Asia/Africa or even Canada hence the efforts to shut off the flow from SoB.

The above stated: I have no issue with legal immigrants from Mexico, etc.
Yes, which I said in my post. Most illegals are from Mexico, but illegal immigration from Mexico is falling while illegal immigration from countries like China is rising (based on 2005-2006). Not to mention there are about 65-70 thousand ILLEGAL Canadians in America. Where is the outcry about that? While it is not near the amount of illegal Mexicans, it is still a large number, no? So I believe if you are going to be anti-illegal immigration you should be against all illegal immigration, not just people of color.

Edit - Benicar, where did I say anything about this forum? I did not mention anything about this forum, Racist Anti-Illegal immigration supporters are everywhere, on this forum and in the real world... I know Mexican is not a race, no where did I say they were a race. Hatred will make you see things in arguements that aren't there.

Edit again - Why are Mexicans not allowed to fly their flag? People from all nationalities fly their flag openly. Now when one flies another countries flag above the American flag is where one could get mad with reason.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Edit - Benicar, where did I say anything about this forum? I did not mention anything about this forum, Racist Anti-Illegal immigration supporters are everywhere, on this forum and in the real world... I know Mexican is not a race, no where did I say they were a race. Hatred will make you see things in arguements that aren't there.
Allow me to refresh your memory.

Quote:

How can one be “racist†against a nationality? Wouldn’t a more apt description be “nativist?†Furthermore, why would I “hate†you, I don’t even know you. Moreover, I hate no one, with the exception of child molesters.

Quote:
Edit again - Why are Mexicans not allowed to fly their flag? People from all nationalities fly their flag openly. Now when one flies another countries flag above the American flag is where one could get mad with reason.
There’s a difference between illegal aliens flying their flag, and the desecration of the U.S. flag. Have you not seen the inverted U.S. flag being flown below the Mexican flag? Have you not seen them spitting and stomping on the U.S. flag? If not, I don't know where you have been.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:52 PM

142 posts, read 221,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Allow me to refresh your memory.

How can one be “racist†against a nationality? Wouldn’t a more apt description be “nativist?†Furthermore, why would I “hate†you, I don’t even know you. Moreover, I hate no one, with the exception of child molesters.

There’s a difference between illegal aliens flying their flag, and the desecration of the U.S. flag. Have you not seen the inverted U.S. flag being flown below the Mexican flag? Have you not seen them spitting and stomping on the U.S. flag? If not, I don't know where you have been.

You are picking little pieces of a post out then turning them around. You should read my post again. I never said you hated anyone. And when I said "you guys" I never said city-data, what I meant was the people who decide to protest illegal immigration but only go after Mexicans and people of color...

Old 05-24-2009, 11:00 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you have read very few of my post and that you dont know what I said before.

Apparently you didn't see that Asia, Canada, Europe, Africa and a few other countries account for a little less than 20% of illegal immigrants here.

Mexico accounts for 57%, other south of the border countries account for 23%. They are not coming here in drove by planes, boats, or submarines. The vast majority walk right across our southern border.

Funny thing about building a wall, like the one that Israel has, is that it has CHECK POINTS and GATES. Both of which you can easily cross thru with the proper ID and documentation.

Oh and if you want to see them go home in droves, make illegal entry a felony, stop anchor babies, and end ALL welfare services to immigrant and illegals. Quite a few would leave just after that simple move. We could put the saved money toward the wall idea too!

I agree with you.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:13 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Apparently CD'ers don't represent America as a whole very well on this issue. A recent poll suggests that 63% support amnesty.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:19 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Apparently CD'ers don't represent America as a whole very well on this issue. A recent poll suggests that 63% support amnesty.
Every recent C/D poll suggests exactly the opposite.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:38 PM

804 posts, read 1,359,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Every recent C/D poll suggests exactly the opposite.
From Pew FAQ's:
Quote:
Why don't your surveys ever reflect the opinions of people I know?

Chances are you don't hang out with a group of friends that represents everyone in America. Your friends, coworkers and family are probably like you in many ways. If you were to have a group of friends that represents all of the country, you would have acquaintances who are black, white, Asian, rich, poor, Muslim, Catholic, from the South, Northeast, etc., or any combination of those attributes. Few of us are lucky to have such a diverse group of friends.
A large amount of C/D's posters have a strong anti-illegal tendencies, that I would think would scare off all but determined posters. I got asked to leave the forums by a member who stated that my posts were offensive and my ideas 'repugnant' if I'm not mistaken. Later, the poster acknowledged that we were here to express our different opinions and withdrew the request. I have a rather thick skin so no harm done, but a more sensitive individual might have just left.

So, I think the poll is more representative of the U.S. opinion than polls conducted via C/D threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration