Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:42 AM

807 posts, read 1,302,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Then perhaps we can tie the receiving of any social services to the ability to speak the language. It's a win-win situation.
HA HA!!! Awesome Idea..

However, if someone is here Illegally, I agree with Malemute, they should be deported.. Period!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 02:50 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Then perhaps we can tie the receiving of any social services to the ability to speak the language. It's a win-win situation.
Great idea!! Deport the illegals and deny services to any immigrant that refuses to learn english!

Old 05-31-2009, 03:23 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Great idea!! Deport the illegals and deny services to any immigrant that refuses to learn English!
Well there might have to be SOME exceptions but if there are incentives like that in place (you want service then you assimilate) it will ultimately reduce the number of people who NEED assistance since they will be in a better position to find work if they can speak the language.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:35 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,838 times
We have a backlog of immigrants the world over who would gladly learn english and what ever is necessary to become a American citizen. We should not have to bend over backwards to cater to the immigrants who are only interested in making more money.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:00 PM

807 posts, read 1,302,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
We have a backlog of immigrants the world over who would gladly learn english and what ever is necessary to become a American citizen. We should not have to bend over backwards to cater to the immigrants who are only interested in making more money.
AMEN!!! And many of those Immigrants have skills that could be of use to the U.S. and a desire to be self-sufficient and pay into the system.. They "Ask Not What their Country can do for them, but what they can do for their Country (The U.S.)".. Unlike other "immigrants" that come into this country illegally and then demand taxpayer funded social services..

Old 05-31-2009, 05:26 PM

471 posts, read 586,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't believe an illegal that can't speak English should be told to learn it, because the only thing that should happen to them is deportation. They can speak whatever language but back home.
Pow! Snap! BOOM!

+1 for you

Old 05-31-2009, 06:49 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't believe an illegal that can't speak English should be told to learn it, because the only thing that should happen to them is deportation. They can speak whatever language but back home.
Not in all cases. If they are here illegally, qualify to become legal and have submitted an application for legalization, it is in their best interest to learn English.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:16 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Not in all cases. If they are here illegally, qualify to become legal and have submitted an application for legalization, it is in their best interest to learn English.
If they are here illegally, how do they “qualify” to become legal? Are you referring to the U Visa? Otherwise, I don’t understand how they would qualify.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:33 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If they are here illegally, how do they “qualify” to become legal? Are you referring to the U Visa? Otherwise, I don’t understand how they would qualify.
This is what I mean when people don't know or understand immigration laws. Even if a person entered this country illegally, they qualify for legalization. I know many people that have done it this way. I believe they are now in the early 1990's. If they entered the country on or before, they can submit an application. Of course, there is always the risk of getting deported in the mean time but it is possible. I know there are specific guidelines and requirements but can't look them up now.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:41 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
This is what I mean when people don't know or understand immigration laws. Even if a person entered this country illegally, they qualify for legalization. I know many people that have done it this way. I believe they are now in the early 1990's. If they entered the country on or before, they can submit an application. Of course, there is always the risk of getting deported in the mean time but it is possible. I know there are specific guidelines and requirements but can't look them up now.
Admittedly, I am not an immigration attorney, nor do I have the need to educate myself on the legalization process for an illegal alien. I asked you a simple question, because obviously I didn’t know the answer. Thus, the bolded section was unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration