Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:05 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,857,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Advocates for gays and immigrants are clashing over a proposed immigration bill that would let gay and lesbian Americans sponsor their immigrant “permanent partners” for legal U.S. residency.

The chasm inside the immigrant rights community has led the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops — a major partner in the drive for expanded immigrant rights — to withdraw its support from a House bill to be filed Thursday that would speed up reunification of immigrants with their families.
Quote:
Another major ally, the Rev. Samuel Rodriguez, head of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference, called the efforts to slip gay rights into the immigration debate a “slap in the face to those of us who have fought for years for immigration reform.”
Quote:
Advancing the gay rights language “will backfire exponentially” on the effort to win passage of immigration reforms, Rodriguez said. “Good luck trying to pass comprehensive immigration reform without the faith community behind you.”
Gay partner language could doom immigration reform - Gebe Martinez - POLITICO.com

As much I support in gay marriage and rights I still disagree on amnesty for illegal immigration.

But, oh well for all those amnesty peddlers. That's what you get when you align yourselves with people who can't think past religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 11:36 PM

804 posts, read 1,363,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Gay partner language could doom immigration reform - Gebe Martinez - POLITICO.com

As much I support in gay marriage and rights I still disagree on amnesty for illegal immigration.

But, oh well for all those amnesty peddlers. That's what you get when you align yourselves with people who can't think past religion.
I think this is the reason that this bill (S.424) is getting play time before CIR, so as not to lose the support from religious groups for CIR, or for the DREAM act bill.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:06 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,411,344 times
I see nothing wrong with allowing gay partners to immigrate here legally. I see it as a slap in the face to them that we are considering amnestying illegals but are telling them to go pound sand.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:54 AM

807 posts, read 1,305,793 times
Quote:

Amen!!!

Old 06-04-2009, 08:00 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,667,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I see nothing wrong with allowing gay partners to immigrate here legally. I see it as a slap in the face to them that we are considering amnestying illegals but are telling them to go pound sand.
I completely agree.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:08 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,606,331 times
Let’s see, who would this country benefit from – intelligent, educated, self-sufficient gays; or, illiterate, welfare-seeking illegals? Hmmm. . . .

Old 06-04-2009, 08:17 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,223,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Let’s see, who would this country benefit from – intelligent, educated, self-sufficient gays; or, illiterate, welfare-seeking illegals? Hmmm. . . .
The former, of course.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:31 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,857,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I think this is the reason that this bill (S.424) is getting play time before CIR, so as not to lose the support from religious groups for CIR, or for the DREAM act bill.
And I guarantee you that the religious community will have a strong oppositional stance to that bill as much as they as were in favor of CA's prop 8.

Quote:
I wonder about that as well.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:50 AM

291 posts, read 414,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

yeah breed on to collect so future generations can collect , better let the gays pay!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:09 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,691,494 times
its funny when one disenfranchized group seeks to further supress another disenfranchised group.

its those same religious christian nutjobs that are also calling for a boycott of the census.

with some head shaking...
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration