U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 06:04 PM

78,855 posts, read 41,684,193 times

Advertisements

Something sparked my interest and may be a viable path to legal citizenship.
5 years of US military service, and you are more than welcome to be here. I actually don't mind that at all. But then again, I think we should reinstate the mandatory draft, not just for military purposes, but for the lack of respect and discipline, seen in the youth of today.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-13-2009, 06:26 PM

47,528 posts, read 65,217,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Something sparked my interest and may be a viable path to legal citizenship.
5 years of US military service, and you are more than welcome to be here. I actually don't mind that at all. But then again, I think we should reinstate the mandatory draft, not just for military purposes, but for the lack of respect and discipline, seen in the youth of today.
I can see a route to legal status through service in the military especially for a tour in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:40 AM

24,567 posts, read 36,831,100 times
I do not support any path to citizenship for illegal immigrants, not even a military path. I do not want people serving in our military who are only doing so to remain in the United States, not to defend our country.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,500 times
The DREAM act only affects children, who not by their own choice, were brought here illegally, but still managed to maintain a successful path in life. I do not understand how everyone can be so hostile towards these kids. It was not them but their parents who broke the law. So, why punish them?

Old 08-18-2009, 01:59 PM

21,146 posts, read 39,518,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredog View Post
The DREAM act only affects children, who not by their own choice, were brought here illegally, but still managed to maintain a successful path in life. I do not understand how everyone can be so hostile towards these kids. It was not them but their parents who broke the law. So, why punish them?
What about American parents who get cought/punished for their crimes? I see no reason to cut kids who should not be here in the USA any slack over and beyond deportation back to their home countries.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:04 PM

20,301 posts, read 20,824,460 times
Quote:
Try this. The children of a man who swindled millions should be allowed to prosper from their parents ill begotten gains?
Bottom line is that we have children of our own who need to have more resourses thrown their way. We just can not afford to be the worlds savior.
The parents put them in a bad position, the parents own the outcome. Not me, not you and not any other legal resident.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:22 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,102,713 times
Quote:
If the DREAMies are given citizenship, the very first thing they will do when they are old enough is sponsor madre and padre for citizenship, which is exactly what madre and padre are counting on. Not only will we get the DREAMie who (hopefully) pursues an education after high school, but we also get his or her parents who left school in the 9th grade and have no job skills. Once madre and padre are legal, they can then begin dragging over other relatives who are equally unequipped to be contributing members of a developed country. There are people who carry the water and there are people who drink the water. These new 'citizens' will always be the latter.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 4,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Try this. The children of a man who swindled millions should be allowed to prosper from their parents ill begotten gains? .
The other side to that would be: should the children of the man be additionally penalized for his father's actions? Which is what deportation of the kids amounts to, considering that you can't say a child is prospering from their parents being deported or arrested.

I just think that separating the child, who is an affected party to the crime i.e. victim, from the adult who committed the crime when deciding how to treat the situation is necessary for the sake of justice.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:02 PM

42,331 posts, read 38,404,756 times
This Dreamie thing is yet just another attempt to kick down the door and enter American unlawfully. We have immigration laws for a reason, so we don't have China like population numbers.

No exceptions no way. They can be mad at their Parents for putting them in this position.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,102,713 times
Quote:
And when the DREAMie is old enough to sponsor ma and pa, what are we supposed to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.