Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:17 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Saw this in the paper today, thought I'd post the link.

Articles say the influx has slowed and that departures of aliens heading back to Mexico has increased. Sounds like good news.

IMO, I've seen that change here in COLO SPGS, CO over the past year or so. More and more of the landscaping crews that I've seen are obviously U.S. citizens (white and black men) and few Hispanic looking men. I see the same thing on some job sites too. I'm sure the slow economy is a big part of this, since they can take their money and live better back home than here. Rents seem to have declined here as fewer families are looking for housing.

It makes sense to me. Those folks came here for the economic incentives of work and much better/safer living conditions. Now that jobs are going away, they are heading home.

I admit to very mixed feelings. I love the way these folks work so hard and complain so little, but I do not like people coming here illegally. I have to lay the blame on our Federal government, which has looked the other way for 23 years since the 1986 amnesty for six million illegals. Most of us have had enough of the financial impacts and the relative lack of action by our government, though that has improved a bit in the past few years as WE have raised hell about this matter.

IMO, we should send several million more people back home, close the border, and if need be, set up a guest worker program. However, IMO, the guest worker program is a no-go with the business community, since they'd have to pay full minimum wage or better and the workers would be covered by workmen's comp, labor laws, and other safety net programs that businesses don't want to pay for, and don't have to pay for if they can keep using undocumented workers. It sucks, and until we beat our elected officials over the head and boot some of them out, not much will change.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 06:43 PM

706 posts, read 940,095 times
[quote=Mike from back east;9899132]Saw this in the paper today, thought I'd post the link.

Articles say the influx has slowed and that departures of aliens heading back to Mexico has increased. Sounds like good news.

IMO, we should send several million more people back home, close the border, and if need be, set up a guest worker program. However, IMO, the guest worker program is a no-go with the business community, since they'd have to pay full minimum wage or better and the workers would be covered by workmen's comp, labor laws, and other safety net programs that businesses don't want to pay for, and don't have to pay for if they can keep using undocumented workers. It sucks, and until we beat our elected officials over the head and boot some (MOST) of them out, not (NOTHING) much will change.

On the money MFBE.......

No arguement here....

Regards.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

I have to lay the blame on our Federal government, which has looked the other way for 23 years since the 1986 amnesty for six million illegals. Most of us have had enough of the financial impacts and the relative lack of action by our government, though that has improved a bit in the past few years as WE have raised hell about this matter.

They, the government promised us that it would be the only and last sham-nasty, forced on the American workers, tax payers, and social services.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:46 AM

163 posts, read 240,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I love the way these folks work so hard and complain so little,
See in that past that statement was true and that was why we turned a blind eye and allowed the illegal alien situation to get this out of hand.

But this new crop of "we're entitled to anything and everything" illegals don't always work so hard anymore (see all the illegal alien mamas sucking up our social services for their anchors) and they definitely do more than complain a LITTLE (see all the protests and read the sob stories).

They pushed the envelope and threw our generosity back in our faces and now we're sick of it. And that in part is the reason for the current anti-illegal alien sentiment.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:22 AM

291 posts, read 414,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
See in that past that statement was true and that was why we turned a blind eye and allowed the illegal alien situation to get this out of hand.

But this new crop of "we're entitled to anything and everything" illegals don't always work so hard anymore (see all the illegal alien mamas sucking up our social services for their anchors) and they definitely do more than complain a LITTLE (see all the protests and read the sob stories).

They pushed the envelope and threw our generosity back in our faces and now we're sick of it. And that in part is the reason for the current anti-illegal alien sentiment.

Spot On ! took the words righ out of my mouth.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:12 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I think we are one more mass march in the streets away from about 90% negative attitude toward Illegals. This "path to citizenship" is the perfect outlet to save our Govts face. Hardly any will take "that path" and when they are rounded up and deported the Pro-Illegals will have to remain silent as Illegals will have an alternate option but will prove they won't use it.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I think we are one more mass march in the streets away from about 90% negative attitude toward Illegals. This "path to citizenship" is the perfect outlet to save our Govts face. Hardly any will take "that path" and when they are rounded up and deported the Pro-Illegals will have to remain silent as Illegals will have an alternate option but will prove they won't use it.
I think you are very right, I was at church and one of the fellas is an illegal. I asked him if he was preparing for legal citizenship, no way is here only for money and sends home a large part for his return home.
Its tiresome to feel and hear the constant disrespect for our country.
There was time when if you where here illegally you sure didn't want it to be known, now its so blatant like who cares ca is a sanction.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:18 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickAndBroke View Post
I think you are very right, I was at church and one of the fellas is an illegal. I asked him if he was preparing for legal citizenship, no way is here only for money and sends home a large part for his return home.
Why haven't you reported him?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Why haven't you reported him?
I reported the church (harbor illegals) since stopped going to that one, but my friends I am in los angeles so ice wont do anything los angeles is a sanction city hence the mess everywhere here in ca.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,060 times
Default I guess this is a good thing?

Since immigration was reduced by 40% and many returned home, we will soon see a huge reduction in taxes and an increase in wages. Our schools, emergency rooms and courts must have a lot of room for citizens.

Of course, those no longer here do not pay taxes, social security of spend their money in our cities and towns. Their large families will not enter our workforce and keep social security viable.

It is odd that not one Internet Site or media outlet reported on any change in crime, taxes, emergency room use or smaller classrooms at our schools. I wonder why? The downturn in the economy did not affect the number of children in schools or people in the Emergency Rooms.

Government and their accomplices in the media will continue to blame others for our taxes, unemployment, under-employment, etc., as long as we are willing to let them focus the blame on others. African-Americans, Irish Catholics, Jews and not illegal immigrants are the cause of our problems. It can't be our government.

Are you doing better now that immigrants left and there is a 40% decrease in the number of new immigrants? Are your children enjoying smaller class sizes? Are your taxes lowered to reflect the savings at the hospitals, welfare offices, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration