Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 02:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You realize if that's done than the US government would have the right to revoke citizenship not only from "anchors" but from US citizens, including those who might express unpopular views? There might be a future "liberal"
administration which would decide to deprive conservatives of citizenship, or a future conservative administration which would deprive liberals of citizenship.

I'd really rather not go there. The US Constitution should be left as is. It's worked well enough.
Grandfathering in existing Anchors as US citizens I would be OK with--------denying birthright citizenship for as yet unborn ones is fair.

Face it: the USA is the only First World nation left that allows it-------even Ireland cancelled birthright citizenship ca. 1994 for children born to illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
One of our users showed me this article, she was reluctant to post it but I thought it was a good idea to shed some light on what goes on in Mexico regarding illegal immigrants, the problems they face, the reasons that lure them here and the different opinions from those that support them and create groups to help them and those who see them as a threat.

I hope that people who watch it do it with an open mind, the intention is to spark a mature debate.

Immigrants stream across Mexico's southern border | Worldfocus
In a nutshell: Mexico; being a soveriegn nation, has the right to control its borders against illegal aliens---------including us Gringos from the USA.

In all fairness though; to prevent someone from accidently crossing in either direction the borders need to be clearly delineated and, if possible, fenced.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:39 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,636 times
Quote:
You realize if that's done than the US government would have the right to revoke citizenship not only from "anchors" but from US citizens, including those who might express unpopular views? There might be a future "liberal"
administration which would decide to deprive conservatives of citizenship, or a future conservative administration which would deprive liberals of citizenship.

I'd really rather not go there. The US Constitution should be left as is. It's worked well enough.
The constitution worked well enough before illegal immigrants en masse began to abuse it.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
In my opinion even if the constitution was changed, it wouldn't do much unless the corruption that created this problem is solved first.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In a nutshell: Mexico; being a soveriegn nation, has the right to control its borders against illegal aliens---------including us Gringos from the USA.

In all fairness though; to prevent someone from accidently crossing in either direction the borders need to be clearly delineated and, if possible, fenced.
That and deportation can be carried out humanely. If I found myself living and working illegally in Mexico and the Mexican authorities intended to enforce their country's laws, then I would hope they'd be somewhat humane.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:14 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
But the difference is that children born to US citizens, regardless of political affiliation, have every right to US citizenship
Due to the 14th Amendment.

Given the divisions in this country and the possibility for depriving US citizens of their citizenship the 14th is better left as is.

FWIW, French citizens no matter what the citizenship status of their parents are can be deprived of citizenship (IIRC there's a French law stating that repeat offenders who employ illegal immigrants can have their citizenship revoked.) I really don't want to see this adapted in the US due to the potential for a vindictive federal government to use this against "enemies", real or percieved.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:21 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,462 times
Quote:
Due to the 14th Amendment.

Given the divisions in this country and the possibility for depriving US citizens of their citizenship the 14th is better left as is.

FWIW, French citizens no matter what the citizenship status of their parents are can be deprived of citizenship (IIRC there's a French law stating that repeat offenders who employ illegal immigrants can have their citizenship revoked.) I really don't want to see this adapted in the US due to the potential for a vindictive federal government to use this against "enemies", real or percieved.
A US-born citizen can NEVER have his/her US citizenship revoked on the basis of a political belief(s). No matter how radically liberal/conservative one's belief(s) is it cannot lead to a revocation of citizenship. I don't how you came up with that impossible notion.

Illegal foreigners aren't subject to our jurisdiction; in truth, they're in violation of it and thus their anchor babies should've been granted birthright citizenship. Nothing in the US Constitution guarantees citizenship to children born to illegal aliens.

Last edited by antireconquista; 06-09-2009 at 01:31 AM..

Old 06-09-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
A US-born citizen can NEVER have his/her US citizenship revoked on the basis of a political belief(s). No matter how radically liberal/conservative one's belief(s) is it cannot lead to a revocation of citizenship. I don't how you came up with that impossible notion.
THANKS TO THE 14TH AMENDMENT a US born citizen cannot have his or her citizenship revoked.

If the 14th Amendment is done away with like some people here, including you, advocate, then it would be possible to revoke the citizenship of US born citizens of citizen parents.

Quote:
Illegal foreigners aren't subject to our jurisdiction; in truth, they're in violation of it and thus their anchor babies should've been granted birthright citizenship. Nothing in the US Constitution guarantees citizenship to children born to illegal aliens.
Immigration (from Ireland and Germany) was an issue when the 14th Amendment was passed, although back then there were no illegals just because the US had totally open immigration with no restrictions (something that I do NOT advocate). If the authors of the 14th Amendment had not intended it to apply to foreigners they would have explicitly said so.

The bottom line is that if we get rid of our Constitution than we cease to be America.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
THANKS TO THE 14TH AMENDMENT a US born citizen cannot have his or her citizenship revoked.

If the 14th Amendment is done away with like some people here, including you, advocate, then it would be possible to revoke the citizenship of US born citizens of citizen parents.

Immigration (from Ireland and Germany) was an issue when the 14th Amendment was passed, although back then there were no illegals just because the US had totally open immigration with no restrictions (something that I do NOT advocate). If the authors of the 14th Amendment had not intended it to apply to foreigners they would have explicitly said so.

The bottom line is that if we get rid of our Constitution than we cease to be America.
Remember Ellis Island? Quite a few potential legal immigrants were indeed turned away prior to 1920.

As for Mexico; as late as 1938 that nation only had ca. 20 million people vs. our 130 million so even if 10% (2 million) of the former's citizens were here illegally-----------they would have dispersed into the US population like a drop of water into an ocean. Plus; the racism 70 years against brown Latinos (and brown Anglos) meant they watched their manners here----------or else.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember Ellis Island? Quite a few potential legal immigrants were indeed turned away prior to 1920.
Ellis Island opened in 1880, 14 years after the 14th Amendment. There were no restrictions on immigration to the US prior to the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration