Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,921,144 times

Advertisements

One word. . . . . “preparation.” ALL college students must prepare for the college experience; which is one reason new freshmen attend orientation. Foreign students, including my ex, often arrive in this country without any relatives or friends to help them acclimate. Therefore, it is solely their responsibility to adapt to their new environment and the culture of the host country. Somehow, most manage to excel in their studies, make new friends, and enjoy college life away from home. Are you suggesting DREAMies are the exception, and they are incapable of transitioning?

Well, they PREPARED by taking the SATs. They met all the formal requirements of obtaining an American High School Diploma. Technically, they even met resident requirements for state schools (with those being little babies living here...For the UC system all you need is to show proof of living in CA for the past few years. My out of state friends said they lived with CA relatives and showed them old bills from relatives to prove it. They lied). The acceptance of admission proves they are prepared.

What are they going to do if the DREAM Act fails again? There is no guarantee that these students will be offered a path to citizenship, as opposed to deportation. After all, they are residing in this country illegally, and our government has every right to require their removal. Surely they realized one day they might have to leave this country. Thus, it would be wise for them to make preparations for life in their countries of origin. Only fools rely exclusively on “Plan A.”

Just TRY to put yourself in their position. 18 years old. Trying to overcome a lack of income, horrible schools, and maybe crowded living conditions. You got accepted into college. Now a middle class American is mad at you for trying to obtain a college education because of a mistake YOU have no control over? You just want to live your life, figure out the legality issue after taking a battery of finals and papers, and most likely working MORE hours than most on campus. So the question remains, why do you want them to NOT to go college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 11:42 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,606,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
One word. . . . . “preparation.” ALL college students must prepare for the college experience; which is one reason new freshmen attend orientation. Foreign students, including my ex, often arrive in this country without any relatives or friends to help them acclimate. Therefore, it is solely their responsibility to adapt to their new environment and the culture of the host country. Somehow, most manage to excel in their studies, make new friends, and enjoy college life away from home. Are you suggesting DREAMies are the exception, and they are incapable of transitioning?

Well, they PREPARED by taking the SATs. They met all the formal requirements of obtaining an American High School Diploma. Technically, they even met resident requirements for state schools (with those being little babies living here...For the UC system all you need is to show proof of living in CA for the past few years. My out of state friends said they lived with CA relatives and showed them old bills from relatives to prove it. They lied). The acceptance of admission proves they are prepared.

What are they going to do if the DREAM Act fails again? There is no guarantee that these students will be offered a path to citizenship, as opposed to deportation. After all, they are residing in this country illegally, and our government has every right to require their removal. Surely they realized one day they might have to leave this country. Thus, it would be wise for them to make preparations for life in their countries of origin. Only fools rely exclusively on “Plan A.”

Just TRY to put yourself in their position. 18 years old. Trying to overcome a lack of income, horrible schools, and maybe crowded living conditions. You got accepted into college. Now a middle class American is mad at you for trying to obtain a college education because of a mistake YOU have no control over? You just want to live your life, figure out the legality issue after taking a battery of finals and papers, and most likely working MORE hours than most on campus. So the question remains, why do you want them to NOT to go college?
Again; they have only their parents to blame for their predicament. It’s unfortunate, but such is life. Many children suffer due to the behavior of their parents. Just as they prepared for college in this country, they can prepare for college in their countries of origin. Should the children of convicted felons receive preferential treatment? After all, it’s not their fault they must suffer due to the criminal behavior of their parents.

I never said I don’t want them to attend college. I simply don’t want them granted a path to citizenship as a reward for their parents’ decision to live in this country illegally. We don’t reward children for the criminal behavior of parents.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:54 PM

Again; they have only their parents to blame for their predicament. It’s unfortunate, but such is life. Many children suffer due to the behavior of their parents. Just as they prepared for college in this country, they can prepare for college in their countries of origin. Should the children of convicted felons receive preferential treatment? After all, it’s not their fault they must suffer due to the criminal behavior of their parents.

They did prepare. Hence how they got in. Children of felons that made the grade aren't getting preferential treatment if they go to college.

I never said I don’t want them to attend college. I simply don’t want them granted a path to citizenship as a reward for their parents’ decision to live in this country illegally. We don’t reward children for the criminal behavior of parents.

Well, you don't want them in college. Otherwise you would say "Hey you got in by hard work. You did something that many were not able to do. Here you go." They made the grade, got the SAT scores, working jobs to afford it, and still did EC activities. It's not a reward if you worked for it.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:

They did prepare. Hence how they got in. Children of felons that made the grade aren't getting preferential treatment if they go to college.

Well, you don't want them in college. Otherwise you would say "Hey you got in by hard work. You did something that many were not able to do. Here you go." They made the grade, got the SAT scores, working jobs to afford it, and still did EC activities. It's not a reward if you worked for it.
I reiterate -- they will have to prepare for college in their countries of origin. Not HERE! What is so difficult for you to comprehend? They are NOT citizens of this country, and we owe them NOTHING. It’s time for them to leave.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:47 PM

I reiterate -- they will have to prepare for college in their countries of origin. Not HERE! What is so difficult for you to comprehend? They are NOT citizens of this country, and we owe them NOTHING. It’s time for them to leave.

We don't have the diploma system to prepare them for their country of origin. I have no idea why you are so adamant about illegal immigrants going to college. Those people don't affect you in the slightest bit.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,878,486 times
Quote:

We don't have the diploma system to prepare them for their country of origin. I have no idea why you are so adamant about illegal immigrants going to college. Those people don't affect you in the slightest bit.
The money that this girl or her parents have saved up for her college tuition and expenses can just as easily be used to send her to a Mexican college or university. In fact Mexican universities are more affordable to citizens of Mexico than American universities are.

Mexico has universities, or she can apply to the ones here after obtaining a student visa. The only really hard part in that is that it would involve abiding by the laws for the first time in her life.

Let's just all admit that educational goals she might have are a non-issue.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,223,976 times
Quote:

Irrelevant-----------just accept the fact that we owe illegal aliens nothing more than 3 hots and a cot prior to their deportation.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,434,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Irrelevant-----------just accept the fact that we owe illegal aliens nothing more than 3 hots and a cot prior to their deportation.
. . . and we don't "owe" them that. I'm so ready to be rid of all of their tax draining anus', I wish they would skip the trials, court costs, interpreters, continuances, etc. and deport them immediately after the determination that they are in this country illegally.

It is a waste of time and tax dollars coddling repetitive criminals. They onlycare about the rule of law when it benefits them.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,411,344 times
As I said before I feel bad for people who were brought in illegally as children. They have to make a terrible decision when they reach 18. I do not envy them that. But it is also not our fault they were put in that position, it is their parents' fault. Blame them. This country has laws for a reason and they must be respected.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:

We are not obligated to prepare them for anything. That’s their responsibility. Had their parents not put them in this quandary, they would already be living in their home country, and there would be no need for this discussion. Their parents should do whatever is necessary to help them return home to pursue their academic dreams. Perhaps they can seek assistance from La Raza, or other “immigrant” advocacy groups. They could implement a repatriation preparatory program specifically for illegals pursuing college educations in their countries of origin. I think that would be a worthy cause, don’t you?

I am a staunch opponent of illegal immigration; which includes the ingrate DREAMies. That’s why I am so adamant. I’m sick of my country being used and abused by foreigners who have no regard for our laws, or respect for this country in general. Actually, I once felt compassion for these “children.” However, after visiting their website over a year ago; not to mention, our recent barrage of trolling DREAMies spewing insults, I feel nothing but contempt. I want all of them out of my country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration