Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:12 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,414,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
“My future is still uncertain but I am very grateful for this time,” said Veliz, who was all smiles after the short hearing. “I have never lost hope that there will be a change in immigration law.”

Veliz’s lawyer, Nancy Shivers, said there is no reasonable way for Veliz to earn residency or citizenship. She has family here, but none are able to petition for her to stay. She does not know her family in Mexico. If Veliz returned there, she would be barred from returning to the United States for at least 10 years.

Or she could marry a U.S. citizen.

“It speaks a great deal to her integrity that she has not gone out and gotten married so she could stay here,” Shivers said. “The DREAM Act or some form of comprehensive immigration reform really is her only hope.”

As a last resort, U.S. Rep. Charlie Gonzalez, D-San Antonio, has agreed to file a private bill on Veliz’s behalf. The bill would not grant Veliz residency, but would delay deportation, Shivers said.

With a supportive president and Democrat-controlled Congress, DREAM Act supporters are hopeful the stars will align for passage this year. But critics say the law has major kinks.

For instance, it does not require immigrants to prove how long they have been in the country, something that would be fairly easy to do through school records, said Roy Beck, president of NumbersUSA, an organization that aims to reduce the number of immigrants.

Also, those who benefit from the DREAM Act could petition for other family members to stay, tipping off a chain of migration, Beck said.
Deportation delayed for St. Mary's grad (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/47534137.html - broken link)

The fact that this criminal was caught in the country illegally and driving without a license speaks volumes about her "character". Adding insult to injury, in steps an ethnocentric anchor baby who took an oath to uphold the laws of America volunteering to write legislation to assist her in remaining in this country illegally.

We need to clean house -- yesterday. What in the world is wrong with these traitors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 05:03 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
I feel bad for illegals who were brought here as children, that was not their fault, but they should realize once they turn 18 they are fully responsible for their actions if they decide to remain here. It is a terrible choice they have to make but it is not us who put them in that situation, it is their parents. She could and should have returned to Mexico at age 18.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 AM

804 posts, read 1,360,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Deportation delayed for St. Mary's grad (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/47534137.html - broken link)

The fact that this criminal was caught in the country illegally and driving without a license speaks volumes about her "character". Adding insult to injury, in steps an ethnocentric anchor baby who took an oath to uphold the laws of America volunteering to write legislation to assist her in remaining in this country illegally.

We need to clean house -- yesterday. What in the world is wrong with these traitors?
It's called common sense.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:31 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I feel bad for illegals who were brought here as children, that was not their fault, but they should realize once they turn 18 they are fully responsible for their actions if they decide to remain here. It is a terrible choice they have to make but it is not us who put them in that situation, it is their parents. She could and should have returned to Mexico at age 18.
Yes, she and all of the other DREAMies should return to their countries of origin. By refusing to leave, they become the same as their parents. . . . liars, cheats, and thieves. Even the Bible they claim to revere, states: “When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” It’s accountability time for DREAMies. They are no longer innocent children.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:34 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,909,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, she and all of the other DREAMies should return to their countries of origin. By refusing to leave, they become the same as their parents. . . . liars, cheats, and thieves. Even the Bible they claim to revere, states: “When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” It’s accountability time for DREAMies. They are no longer innocent children.
Yes because it makes a whole lot of sense to return to Mexico at some arbritary age that we assign as "adult" (which neurologically speaking is not...your brain patterns are still in flux). Regardless of the fact that they grew up here, many of them still in daipers, some of them a few months old. It really doesn't make sense. Esp. those attending college. It's a pain just to get in and get the financing in check, why create more of a hassle?

Old 06-11-2009, 04:36 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,853,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Yes because it makes a whole lot of sense to return to Mexico at some arbritary age that we assign as "adult" (which neurologically speaking is not...your brain patterns are still in flux). Regardless of the fact that they grew up here, many of them still in daipers, some of them a few months old. It really doesn't make sense. Esp. those attending college. It's a pain just to get in and get the financing in check, why create more of a hassle?
Because no should ever be or act above the law? Because some people believe in legal integrity?

Old 06-11-2009, 06:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Bottom line here:

Illegal aliens are criminals factoring in ID theft, etc. and need to be punished severely.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
No adult or young adult can go to Mexico and adapt? Yet the pro-illegals claim that Mexicans (and others) can adapt in a matter of days to the USA?

That's rather absurd really. I went and studied in Mexico when I was over 18 and it was not difficult at all to learn my way around and I liked it. At the time I felt like staying there - but Mexico has realistic immigration laws.

It's too drama-queen to insist that no one could ever return to Mexico and adapt, most of these kids grew up learning Spanish and speak it exclusively in the home. They know the culture, language, and most have many relatives living there. If I had had a legal right to work and stay in Mexico I could do just fine and that's without the Mexican-advantages this girl has. It's really pathetic that you guys try to portray Mexico as some hell hole worse than a Nazi concentration camp in order to push a pro-illegal agenda.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,909,962 times
No adult or young adult can go to Mexico and adapt? Yet the pro-illegals claim that Mexicans (and others) can adapt in a matter of days to the USA?

If you planned on going back, yeah. If you ALREADY have your life and future in the US, not so much. If you uprooted your entire life at age 18 after being accepted to college (or obtaining a job), how do you adapt?

That's rather absurd really. I went and studied in Mexico when I was over 18 and it was not difficult at all to learn my way around and I liked it. At the time I felt like staying there - but Mexico has realistic immigration laws.

Yes you studied and CAME back. You had plans to spend a certain amount of time and not have your life derailed. It was not FORCED upon you to give up your education. This is not at all the sam as studying abroad. That's really a bad comparison.

It's too drama-queen to insist that no one could ever return to Mexico and adapt, most of these kids grew up learning Spanish and speak it exclusively in the home. They know the culture, language, and most have many relatives living there. If I had had a legal right to work and stay in Mexico I could do just fine and that's without the Mexican-advantages this girl has. It's really pathetic that you guys try to portray Mexico as some hell hole worse than a Nazi concentration camp in order to push a pro-illegal agenda.

It's impractical to force people to give up their lives to pay for the sins of their parents because some person not even affected by their exsistence is mad. First off, if you are poor IT IS BAD. Places without running water, contaiminated soil, spotty electricity in many areas. This girl is attending college, let her be a productive member of society.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:40 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times
Quote:
Their parents “created the hassle,” not us. I really don’t care how old they were when their parents decided to bring them here illegally. The fact is, they are not citizens of this country, and we owe them NOTHING. If they are as intelligent as they profess, they should be capable of easily adapting elsewhere. If they can’t, that’s their problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration