Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:12 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times

Advertisements

If this isn’t nerve, I don’t know what is. These people have violated our laws by not only entering this country illegally, but also by working in this country. Yet, they expect the same laws they flagrantly ignore, to protect them against unscrupulous employers.

Quote:
The traditional Spanish empowerment chant "Si, se puede!" ("Yes, we can!") rang a little truer Friday as New Orleans City Council President Arnie Fielkow told a crowd on the steps of City Hall that he would push for an ordinance criminalizing wage theft.

New Orleans has become ground zero in a national effort to protect mostly Hispanic day laborers after recent surveys found about 80 percent of them have been stiffed on promised wages in the New Orleans area, mostly after finishing jobs rebuilding homes and other buildings destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

About 50 people, representing a nationwide coalition of groups from Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and elsewhere, gathered at City Hall on Friday, hoping New Orleans will lead the way in making wage theft a criminal offense.

The U.S. Department of Labor is supposed to crack down on employers who violate wage laws, but a March report by the Government Accountability Office found the department's enforcement has been lax.

But worker advocates from the National Congress of Day Laborers and others say wage theft should be treated more like robbery, and police should be empowered to slap the cuffs on employers immediately.

"They think they can use intimidation to not pay us for work we've done, " said Jeronimo Salguero, the director of the Central American Resource Center in Los Angeles, speaking in Spanish at the New Orleans rally. "Well, this is the first time we've put these local forces together with the day-laborer community, and I think this is going to make it better for sure."
New Orleans day laborers want wage theft made a crime - NOLA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:27 PM

472 posts, read 740,624 times
The authoritys should investigate claims, and if true, prosecute the offending empoyers, recover the unpaid wages, and give to the illegal aliens what is left after deducting the cost of immediate deportation.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
The authoritys should investigate claims, and if true, prosecute the offending empoyers, recover the unpaid wages, and give to the illegal aliens what is left after deducting the cost of immediate deportation.
ROFL..I don't think that's exactly what they are hoping for but hey..sounds like a good plan.

I'll bet they want minimum wage, OSHA conditions and everything else a lawful US citizen would get if they worked the same job.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:59 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If this isn’t nerve, I don’t know what is. These people have violated our laws by not only entering this country illegally, but also by working in this country. Yet, they expect the same laws they flagrantly ignore, to protect them against unscrupulous employers.

The moral of the story is that these jobs should have gone to Americans in the first place. Next the illegal lovers will try to claim that no Americans applied for the jobs, even though we know they did and were turned away by unscrupulous employers. Hopefully, five years from now when the work the illegals have done is falling apart we will have learned our lesson, namely that you get what you pay for.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Actually I'm all for it. I hope all the illegals turn in their criminal employers and the employers are not only required to pay back wages, overtime and whatever to their illegals, but are slammed hard with big fines, and that the IRS shows up to collect "their" portion from these crooks.

Shut down all employers of illegals and this problem will begin to subside.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
And that goes for the live in nannies and landscapers and housekeepers who pretty much work round the clock for less than minimum wage and no overtime pay. Let's encourage them all to go after the legal wages and overtime pay they weren't given.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:14 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,313 times
Quote:

Wage theft is a crime, for Americans. The illegals are just that, illegal. non citizens.. How many real American jobs were lost (construction, roofing, drywall, ect.) when these scumsuckers came to New Orleans???

GWB and FEMA imported these Mexican illegal alien scabs by the thousands. They could have hired Americans at a decent wage, but, they didn't want that. The Government just added insult to injury by bringing in the scabs.

How can you claim "rights" in a country you sneaked into? I think they got about what they deserve. New Orleans will find out cheap Mexican labor with the next big blow. The whole city will be under water.

How about this idea? We get the wages and send them (complete with anchor brats) straight back home.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:19 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
You live an illegal life - you take your chances. Sometimes that means going to jail, sometimes that means being deported and sometimes that means getting scre*ed out of your paycheck.

You roll the dice, you take your chances.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:29 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:

The poor employers! The had no problem with hiring illegal workers. They had no problem trying to stiff the illegal workers. Now they're being called out and they're crying.

What a bunch of rat cowards.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:32 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
You live an illegal life - you take your chances. Sometimes that means going to jail, sometimes that means being deported and sometimes that means getting scre*ed out of your paycheck.

You roll the dice, you take your chances.
So they diod, and they probably feel what's the worst that can happen, I get sent back? At least they're making a stand. And I applaud them for doing so.

It was so the companies rebuilding NO could hire them in the first place that Bush suspended Davis-Bacon.

Now the greedy companies want to take it further, and the workers are standing up against that. Good for the workers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration