Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 10:30 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,515,807 times

Advertisements

The process is very simple.

http://www.imagoetc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/small_us_citizen.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 10:50 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,310,306 times
I don't really see what the problem is based on that. Seriously, people are acting like it is a right to come here, live and work. And from the tone of the diagram, it seems that they are critiquing the process. I've always asked, "Exactly what part of immigration needs to be reformed" and I never got an answer from anyone I asked. What are we supposed to do? Allow everyone who wants to come here, in? I have no problem with immigration and don't really see what this has to do with illegal immigration all together. I mean, if you aren't "qualified" to be an immigrant or don't meet the basic humane qualifications (as listed, such as having a parent here, or religious reasons, something like that) then what do you have to offer this country? I mean, if you are unskilled and uneducated, aren't you just adding to that population that we already have? You can't be giving everyone a pass and especially not those who bypassed all of this and tried to sneak in under what was intended to prevent a ridiculous amount of people who are not qualified for anything other than labor and the other obvious jobs (fast food, hotels, factories), jobs that people who are legally here want to do. It's about being blunt and straight up about these things. Everything can't be rosey and we can't ignore facts. You can't tell me that there are enough of room and jobs here for all those people who don't meet the requirements of this diagram. People are just crying again. Like me, I studied Japanese and at one point in my life, I wanted to move to Japan, but I remember reading the steps to move there and also to become naturalized. Do you realize how difficult it is to be a gaijin and then be naturalized there? You don't see me breaking in because it may have been a dream to move there and live.

If I were "out of luck," as the diagram says, then I'm out of luck. Am I going to march on the streets of Japan demanding them to change something just because it doesn't go in my favor? I'm not going to do that especially when I have no real arguments against it or simply because it isn't "fair."

Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,798,647 times
I strongly oppose illegal aliens. I do insist they get in line or leave.

That said I think legal immigration could stand to be streamlined in process. I think it's morally wrong to dangle false hope of citizenship, have them invest years of their lives in pursuit jumping through hoops and by default of some bureaucratic snafu quota system get rejected on irrelevant reasoning. I also think it's morally wrong to attach a huge price tag. I'm not saying it's obliged to be free, but spending tens of thousands of dollars on legal fees is abusive to what will be our new fellow citizen. You shouldn't be required to be wealthy to come to America.

I think once you're in the system the thing that should boot you out is conviction of violence, international trafficking or generalized fraud crimes. Habitual lawbreaking not welcome. If you've got 200 traffic violations that's a clear sign it's not working for the rest of us. I can think of no other reason to reject a citizen once they're in the system beyond pass the test.

The concept that once you've obtained citizenship you must import and otherwise reconstruct your family of origin in incremental installments-- I think that needs to go save for amnesty cases. Go visit them on holidays, importing your country here clogs up the line. Package deal green cards that are straightforwardly admitting this is a family, how many, no add ons save for pregnancy... treating them as a composite unit would solve a great deal of strife.

Just a few ideas. Closer scrutiny of immigration policy playing out for immigrants would yield better answers. I believe the best qualified to revise the system are the legal immigrants themselves processed the past 20yrs. Get their input and ask them for a better system.

Thanks for posting this diagram though. I'm strongly against harsh treatment of legal immigrants.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 PM

181 posts, read 323,064 times
Not even a cute cartoon will justify illegal activity and thievery to me. Sorry.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:56 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,798,647 times
It's proven to me how unfair we are to legal immigrants relative to illegal aliens. Fair= improve the system and have swift departure for illegals.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:19 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,236,809 times
That diagram states that the H-1B visa cap is below demand. That's actually true, because the greedy coporatists want their labor as cheap as they can get it, which is why they regularly fire American technology workers so cheap H-1B workers can be hired in their place. I wonder if Shikka Dalmia, the co-artist of the diagram, knows that -- yes, she probably does.

So then, what have we learned? That even discussion of how to legally bring immigrants into the U.S. is controlled by the cheap labor lobby. Do not ever forget that.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:13 PM

640 posts, read 1,733,377 times
I'm sorry but no one has a God given right to enter the US as they please. Or at all,for that matter. Stop acting as if getting citizenship in America is a right given by God and naturalistic order. Get real.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:37 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Try that attitude in Mexico.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:38 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Should there be not more effort on the part of high immigrant sending countries to provide a better life for its own citizens. All I hear from them is how can we make it easier for their citizens to come to America. That is why I have so much respect for Japan because they do not run from challenges.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:06 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,580,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
I'm sorry but no one has a God given right to enter the US as they please. Or at all,for that matter. Stop acting as if getting citizenship in America is a right given by God and naturalistic order. Get real.
Absolutely! Furthermore, considering the fact that we welcome more immigrants than all other countries combined, it can’t be too difficult. As a sovereign nation, we have a right to set the bar. Some are accepted, while others are rejected. That’s life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration